PDA

View Full Version : 4month old fry, whats next???

MattV.
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
my fry are 4 month old now and i feel like they should be bigger by now. ive been feeding beefheart 3xday, plus crushed flakes for the past two months. im wondering if i should change or add anything to their diet(vitimins or different foods). the whole breeding thing took me by surprise before i was ready for it but ive been trying my best and they seem happy but i feel like something might not be right. ive been using mostly ro water in all my tanks, sometimes i mix in a little tap with it just to raise the temp a bit when im in a rush. i will post some recent pics later after work.

jimg
08-19-2011, 07:09 PM
what size are they and what gh and how much wc's?

Inland Empire Discus
08-19-2011, 07:09 PM
If you are using RO water then they most likely are not receiving enough minerals which is why they may not be as big as they should be. Use tap water to grow out the fry and they will most likely grow faster.

Lenin
08-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Change them slowly to tap, like 80% RO and 20% tap, then increase gradually

MostlyDiscus
08-19-2011, 10:06 PM
More tap for sure. I went from 80percent ro to 80 percent tap in 3days. No ill affects.

Scott293
08-20-2011, 07:41 PM
My babies are on straight tap water. They are 2" at 8 weeks. Only my breeding pairs get soft water. With that much RO are you getting short gill plates?

MattV.
08-20-2011, 11:01 PM
so i should do straight ro in the breeding tank, ro/tap mix in the community, and straight tap in the grow out tank?

nc0gnet0
08-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Get yourself a TDS meter.

Discus Origins
08-24-2011, 11:48 AM
There was no mention of amount WCs in your post...so how often have you done it. Should have been at least 75% daily. I've raised domestic and wild fry in pure RO and pure tap. Domestics always grow faster no matter what water and gill plate deformities are about the same. I do add discus essential back to the RO but had one instance where fry grew faster in RO water when next batch from same parents grew slower in tap. Couldn't figure that one out but def higher amount of WCs for better growth imo.