PDA

View Full Version : fluk breathing out of one gill

gsoler78
08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I just bought 6 juvenile discus and i notice 2 of them are breathing out of one gill i just bought a bottle of formalin i was told
not to treat them yet and countinue to do alot of wc. when i first got them all they did was hide behind my amazon sward now
they come out more and are eating a little better 2 of them eat alot and are all over the tank

tank size 72g bow front
filter aqua clear 110 and cascade 1000
water temp 85-86
ph-6.4 to 6.6
o-nitrate o-nitrite o-ammonia
4 pieces of drift wood
3 live plants

new to this just looking for some advice and help thank's

Keith Perkins
08-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Nothing but zeroes normally only exists in tap water and not a cycled fish tank. Your nitrates reading should be higher than zero. If it truly is zero your tank isn't cycled and you're in for problems. Was the tank just set up for these fish?

Fish only breathing out of one side is a major defect to look for when you're buying fish, too bad you got stuck with them.

DiscusBR
08-21-2011, 11:52 PM
I just bought 6 juvenile discus and i notice 2 of them are breathing out of one gill i just bought a bottle of formalin i was told
not to treat them yet and countinue to do alot of wc. when i first got them all they did was hide behind my amazon sward now
they come out more and are eating a little better 2 of them eat alot and are all over the tank

tank size 72g bow front
filter aqua clear 110 and cascade 1000
water temp 85-86
ph-6.4 to 6.6
4 pieces of drift wood
3 live plants

new to this just looking for some advice and help thank's

You are posting in the wrong place. You should go the "disease/sickness" section:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Disease-Sickness-and-Medication

Don't forget to provide more information by filling the questionnaire:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Disease-Sickness-and-Medication

Skip
08-21-2011, 11:53 PM
when i see that..i add table salt.. 2tablespoon/10 gallons.. usually clears up in a couple of hours..

gsoler78
08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
tank was cycled for a month after i bought them i found out about the breathing out of one gill

gsoler78
08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I am using aquarium salt

Skip
08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
did it clear up?

gsoler78
08-22-2011, 05:26 PM
sometimes they look like there breathing ok and other times they don't
i don't know it's hard to tell

TURQ64
08-23-2011, 08:31 AM
So, fellow fishkeepers, I take it we've given up on protocols, and no longer need the questionaire, and the 'sickness and disease' page..Just wondering, but I see two threads running now that flukes and worms are dealt with without any parameters...Hellofa deal....I'll bail out now, before the flack starts......I'll be on the road for the next few weeks and won't be able to defend myself...Gary

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Suggested and ignored Gary...oh the shame.

Skip
08-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Gary, I will be out also... For a couple of weeks myself.. Not sue of how much internet I will have in south america.. lol

Lukan
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Gary, I will be out also... For a couple of weeks myself.. Not sue of how much internet I will have in south america.. lol

I'll be on the road for the next few weeks and won't be able to defend myself...Gary

I guess the Homesteader Neighbourhood will be empty........everyone going away......