PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

terps
08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
It's wise to start preparing for the worst on the East Coast. Power outages are likely. Could be lots of wind damage. Clean your tanks before the storm. Test your electric generators if you have them. Stock up on gasoline. Find your flashlights. Find your portable radios. Test your chainsaws. Get some aquarium battery air pumps if you don't have a generator. Get plenty of batteries. Tie down stuff in your yard so it doesn't blow away. Move vehicles away from trees and park them on high ground. Stocking up on food/medicine might not be a bad idea either. Good luck.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/article/hurricane-irene-major-northeast-threats_2011-08-23

zchauvin
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Lol easy now, here in Louisiana we have had many hurricanes. Unless your on the east side(which the area its going won't be) you have nothing to worry about. Sure don't have crap laying around but it won't be the end of the world. If your yard is clean no worries.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Skip
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IS HERE!!!

http://blogski.phcapgh.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/zombie-attack.jpg

Larry Bugg
08-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Lol easy now, here in Louisiana we have had many hurricanes. Unless your on the east side(which the area its going won't be) you have nothing to worry about. Sure don't have crap laying around but it won't be the end of the world. If your yard is clean no worries.

I really hope I am reading your reply wrong. Looks like you are saying because it is hitting the East Coast no on will be on the East side of the storm and they have nothing to worry about. "but it won't be the end of the world" Please don't downplay the severity of this storm. It has the potential to be the biggest to hit the East Coast in years. There indeed will be lives in danger and should not be taken lightly.

•Possible impacts: Widespread trees downed, power outages, particularly near the coast. Potential for some structural damage in strongest gusts near center of Irene.

Widespread trees downed - means lifes in threat, power outages - means possible fires from downed lines - lifes in danger, structural damage - lifes in danger.

Skip
08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Larry.. earthquakes AND hurricanes in one week.. its not be good on the east coast.. i hope all will be well..

but i can tell you.. here in texas.. we have been PRAYING for rain/hurricanes.. we really need the rain..and would take the collateral damage for relief from draught..

be safe!

Disgirl
08-25-2011, 11:37 AM
It sure has us scared. We are doing all we can to prepare. We are just 30 miles inland from Morehead City NC.
Barb:(

YSS
08-25-2011, 11:43 AM
It sure has us scared. We are doing all we can to prepare. We are just 30 miles inland from Morehead City NC.

Yea, hope you guys go through it ok. I think up here in DC metro area, it won't be as bad as you down there. I am 20 miles west of DC and I think we will get a lot of rain and lots of wind, but shouldn't be crazy bad, or at least I hope not. Good luck down there and stay safe.

Yun-

roclement
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Mayor Bloomberg recomends that Manhattnites evacuate for the weekend...shore communities under evacuation orders... I don't think this is a joke...10 foot water swells expected in NY and Jersey shore.
We plan on closing the club on Saturday night and Sunday, why risk it? Why put the staff through this? I know this may not be a major hurricane but we are also not prepared for things like this...can you imagine Manhattan with no electric and flooded streets? No subway...no way to get up to the 20th floor apartment...not pretty.

Be safe everyone and make sure to hit the ATM and have some cash at hand cause if the power goes out, your CC and Debit cards will be worthless!

Rodrigo

Discus-n00b
08-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Honestly I has hoping for more from the storm but it turns off shore a little. Now all SC will see is minimal rain and winds. We really need a good rain. Pray for those in the Outer Banks...they are going to get hammered

Skip
08-25-2011, 12:13 PM
omg.. they mayor wants NYC to evacuate?! ooh lord.. if the lines are as long as they were for Houston.. good luck!! you better leave now!! the line from LA to austin was miles and miles and miles.. i drove back east to my town from austin that night.. it was bumper to bumper not moving traffic for over 30 miles and more!!

people's cars ran out of gas and were abandoned on the highway from just idiling for hours.. :(

hope that won't happen up in the northeast

zimmjeff
08-25-2011, 12:23 PM
back in 93 I was living in south portland and we had the blizzard of 93. I prepared for it by getting 2 steak and cheese sandwiches and a 12 pack. Now that I have my own home I'm smarter than that, I think.

YSS
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Evacuating NYC is ridiculous. Dumber decision than putting Plexico in jail for being an idiot.

Second Hand Pat
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Prayers to all those in the path of this storm. Do not take hurricanes lightly and quite often it's dealing with the aftermath that injures/kills more people (dang, sound like terps now). Pat

roclement
08-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Guys, he is not evacuating the city, he is recomending that people consider going mainland, sorry for the poor choice of words.

Rodrigo

jssquared
08-25-2011, 09:42 PM
I live in virginia beach about 5 miles from the coast. Went out today to get all my supplies but did not have enough time to get by the fish store to see if they had any battery powered air pumps... I am hoping they will still have them in stock. I have no idea what I am going to do if they don't!!!! I can see myself now passing out from blowing air through the air tube. lol

Larry Bugg
08-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Barb

Are you guys evacuating? Looks like it is dead on you.

Rummy
08-26-2011, 10:15 AM
You can never be too prepared. The government preparations and evacuations are designed with our safety in mind. It will not be fun to be stuck in your home while you watch your windows and doors actually bending from the pressure of the wind. By then it is too late to leave and you put your safety at stake. If all turns out ok, then consider yourself lucky.
I hope that all of you on the east coast fare well in this storm.

roclement
08-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Just got a 1000 watt power inverter that connects to a car battery, worst case scenario I can run my fish tank pumps...I also stopped feeding today and massive water changes tomorrow so they fish should be good for a couple of days should the worst happen. Good luck to everyone!

Rodrigo

Disgirl
08-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Barb

Are you guys evacuating? Looks like it is dead on you.

No, I won't leave our 5 cats and all my tanks of fish and my Koi pond alone. Our house is 12 yrs old and built to withstand 120mph sustained wind. At last report we will have up to 90mph gusts. I just hope my nerves can stand it. If I was a drinker I think I would stock up now :) But I have plenty of Diet Coke.
Barb

Disgirl
08-26-2011, 10:23 AM
We do have a generator and I am doing massive wc's on all tanks, even my fancy goldfish, and I have battery powered pumps. Hope all the rest of you up north of us do OK. I will let you know, if I can, what to expect after it passes us by.
Barb

nwehrman
08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Prayers for all who Irene will impact! Take care of yourselves.

Larry Bugg
08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
No, I won't leave our 5 cats and all my tanks of fish and my Koi pond alone. Our house is 12 yrs old and built to withstand 120mph sustained wind. At last report we will have up to 90mph gusts. I just hope my nerves can stand it. If I was a drinker I think I would stock up now :) But I have plenty of Diet Coke.
Barb

You guys will all be in my thougths and prayers. Will be looking for your post saying all is well.

zchauvin
08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
I have all you guys in my prayers too but I dont think it will be as bad as your guys think, the wind gusts aren't going to be horrible and unless your on the east side where it spins around you won't get the worse. And from the beginning of this thread, no bugman you were not reading my reply wrong. The east side is where the bad stuff is at, the west side is just " the hurricane". Sure if you have never got one before you will think I'm an idiot and its gunna be the end of the world. 90 mph wind gusts aren't bad unless your house is made of paper and your power lines surrounded by pine trees that snap if youook at them too long. On the east side are the squall lines which are very bad weather and produce tornadoes. And I'll add that while I live in Louisiana and yes, katrina flooded no and killed people I am not being a hypocrite... If you build a city in a bowl you will flood. End of story, also shooting at coast guard helicopters doesn't help..

roclement
08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Well...now it's mandatory...Bloomberg is evacuating parts of NYC...this is no joke...no cars allowed south on Garden State Parkway anymore, this is gonna be messy!

Rodrigo

johnnathan
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Prayers to all my friends and their family who may impact Hurricane Irene..

Be safe..

Altum Nut
08-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Good luck everyone along the east coast from south to north.
Best be safe ahead of time. Mother nature has ways of fooling any radar screen without warning.
Let's not take it lightly.

...Ralph

yogi
08-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Yes the east side of the storm is the worse, and particularly the northeast section. But don't let this fool you because the west side can still cause a lot of damage, power outages and flooding. If you didn't make it to a fish store to get battery air pumps you can also get them at bait and tackle shops. I wish everyone the best of luck in dealing with this storm.

calihawker
08-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Stay safe my friends on the east coast.

Steve

Organic Farmer
08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Im less than 20 miles from da jerzey shore,in a mobile.. no less(Wow was that out loud? I usally dont admitt to that.)Ive been crankin up the heat over the last few days,when it hits Ill throw a quilt over the 125.They say power might be out for 3 to 5 days.Ill go heavier with the prime there after.Should be a wild ride.Just think if you farmed for a living, you would be working around the clock for the last 3 days trying to get everything picked.Then hope the power doesnt go out so everything spoils. Good luck to all,take care .Tom

Stag
08-27-2011, 12:38 PM
A quick reply from Goldsboro, NC.

you all can watch the news for numbers... looking out my window I see pieces of sheds, awnings, roof shingles, tree branches... oh and a lawn mower that was thrown out of someone's shed!

I hope this is the worst of it... these big trees around my house are scaring the crap out of me!

zchauvin
08-27-2011, 12:41 PM
No fear my friend :) if its only tin and swaying trees your good

Organic Farmer
08-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Yea but flying tin could cut you like a razor.

zimmjeff
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
you can also find battery powered air pumps at hunting and fishing stores they use them for ice fishing to keep bait alive.

Stag
08-27-2011, 02:10 PM
No worries, my fish will be fine.

My wife bought me a currly straw to give them air! :mad:

zchauvin
08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Yea but flying tin could cut you like a razor.

Lol yeah, then again that's why you don't walk around in a hurricane ;)

Second Hand Pat
08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
No worries, my fish will be fine.

My wife bought me a currly straw to give them air! :mad:

Maybe she will help you blow....but really hoping that will not be necessary.

strawberryblonde
08-28-2011, 01:38 AM
My daughter had to evacuate yesterday in advance of Irene and is now stuck in a hotel without any power, but thankfully there's no real damage near her, just had lots of high winds and oodles of rain. I told her I'm gonna send her a care package to include a few arm flotation devices, a rubber ducky, a life vest for her dog and a selection of fine wines and beer. =)

My thoughts are with everyone north of NC right now. I lived through hurricane gloria when it hit in '85 and it was no fun at all.

Ohhhhhh, for anyone who needs to get air into their fish tanks, I have a son and his fiance who were more than willing to blow bubbles into my tank with straws back in July when we lost power. Just say the word and I'll send them over to your house for a very small fee. (but you have to promise to take pics of them whilst they are aerating your tanks!!)

YSS
08-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Came out with no damages and have power. It was pretty windy and raining hard all night. Very thankful!

Second Hand Pat
08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Toni, love the care package but mostly glad she is safe.

Yun, glad to see you come out ok also.

roclement
08-28-2011, 08:02 AM
We are good here! Made it OK with no major issues.
Rodrigo

Second Hand Pat
08-28-2011, 08:07 AM
We are good here! Made it OK with no major issues.
Rodrigo

Great news Rodrigo

TURQ64
08-28-2011, 09:18 AM
My crew aboard left Beaufort before it made landfall...Now it's all cell calls about the piers, etc. that don't exsist anymore..no power...A lotta rain in the low country....

terps
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
14 dead so far. Around 4 million without power and lots of flooding. It's a good thing this storm didn't produce the strong winds like expected. It could have been much worse. Stay safe.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ferocious-irene-churns-up-east-coast-lashing-nc-va-md-an-empty-new-york-waits/2011/08/27/gIQAT8ZejJ_story.html?hpid=z1

YSS
08-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Toni, love the care package but mostly glad she is safe.

Yun, glad to see you come out ok also.

Thanks, Pat. I feel very fortunate to come out clean.

Larry Bugg
08-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Guess Barb is without power. We still haven't heard from her. Hope all is well there.

roclement
08-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Guess Barb is without power. We still haven't heard from her. Hope all is well there.

Right there with you!

Rodrigo

Second Hand Pat
08-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Anyone here know have a way to contact Barb?

zimmjeff
08-28-2011, 05:01 PM
praying for her now.

nwehrman
08-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Continued prayers for her! And everyone impacted.

richgrenfell
08-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Praying for everyone myself. I got very lucky, didn't even lose cable. Seems every other town around me got smashed though. I wonder how Al made out? He's just a town or two north of me.

aalbina
08-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Southern New Hampshire faired pretty well from what I can tell. We got high winds and lots of rain. Lost power for 6+ hours. Generator ran my tank - the fish didn't seem to know the difference. They ate like pigs this morning - must be the barometric pressure drop.

I hope everyone else is OK.

Adam

jarret8x
08-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm going on 11 hours no power in southern nh still nothing here

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

roclement
08-29-2011, 09:53 AM
So anyone heard from Barb yet?

Rodrigo

jarret8x
08-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Still no power where I live in southern nh they are saying it may take 2-3 days thank god for my generator.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2075turner
08-29-2011, 03:56 PM
So anyone heard from Barb yet?

Rodrigo

I keep on checking to see if she has posted anything....I hope she is okay.

kyaw06
08-29-2011, 04:03 PM
It's lucky that all my fishes survived- we had no power for just over 24 hours.

Andrew

brewmaster15
08-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Got Power back , several days with out makes you appreciate certain things, no major damage to my house, but we lost quite a few trees, they just toppled over....had one big pine tree in my woods literally torq and explode, taking out several trees around it..I can now see my neighbors house thru the woods.:(

The CT shoreline took a large hit, power is thought to take another week or so for some areas to get back on.... we know some here that got hit really bad, houses washed out to sea, or structurally unfit....it hit here at high tide which made things worse.

Half my town and many adjacent towns still have no power...I count myself lucky..I can't imagine what this would have been like had it been more than a category 1/tropical storm that hit us.

Thankfully, the losses of life have not been as high as they could have been., though I am very sad for those that lost love ones, or have to deal with having to rebuild so much.

take care,
al

YSS
08-31-2011, 07:25 AM
Good to see you back, Al.

brewmaster15
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Good to see you back, Al. Thanks, good to be back. :)
-al

2075turner
08-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Glad that you and the family are safe Al. I was watching the weather network following the storm. My thoughts and prayers were with you all. All we got here were some winds and a little rain.

brewmaster15
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Glad that you and the family are safe Al. I was watching the weather network following the storm. My thoughts and prayers were with you all. All we got here were some winds and a little rain. Thanks Evelyn, Patrick Richard is still without power, he's running a generator now ...Given his streets location its likely he'll be without power many more days.

-al

Disgirl
08-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Glad you and the family are OK Al. We knew when Irene left us that there was much more trouble ahead for those north of us. Our city is torn up with trees and power lines down, little structure damage though, since so much is built to withstand our frequent hurricanes. Other towns nearby will be suffering for a long time though. Take care,
Barb

brewmaster15
08-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Glad you and the family are OK Al. We knew when Irene left us that there was much more trouble ahead for those north of us. Our city is torn up with trees and power lines down, little structure damage though, since so much is built to withstand our frequent hurricanes. Other towns nearby will be suffering for a long time though. Take care,
Barb Glad you made it thru okay too Barb. Our biggest problem now is we have several utilities in CT...some are very good (I'm Lucky there) others are no so good...they are really dragging their feet on the repairs by limiting their crews to standard hours...Its getting really frustrating out here in some of the towns serviced by them.

-al

roclement
08-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Glad you are OK Al! Here in NJ a LOT of people still with no power and with the river floods, many towns still under water...what a mess!

Rodrigo

patrick richard
08-31-2011, 12:42 PM
We made it through the storm, just had alittle damage. Were still without power and I don't expect it back for a few more days. There's a tree that came down across the street and the wires are sitting on the ground. When the tree came down it ripped my phone wire off the house. I was lucky to get my fathers generator. This allowed me to keep my 12 tanks up and running. my discus are alittle bit cool (78 degrees), and they don't like the dark but they have air so they're doing ok. Today I am heating up my 300 gallon storage bin so that I can give them another nice warm water change. As a suprise one of my pairs laid eggs for the first time. Daddy ate them all, but it was nice to see them lay.

Kids are having fun with the flashlights, they think its like camping.

Hope to have power soon.

Patrick

2075turner
08-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Really glad to see your post Patrick. :) Hope you get your power back soon.

ashaysathe
08-31-2011, 02:45 PM
WOW.. Good Luck guys. Luckily we went uninterrupted here in Middletown, CT

RichT
08-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Posting from work. Lost our power 1am Sunday. Lots of big trees took a lot of lines down. If we're lucky maybe I'll have power by
this weekend. Got lucky and found a generator Monday to power the air pumps (no heaters) and the wife's office.
We have gas hot water so that's not a problem

At work we got only six inches of water inside the shop. We sit a little higher than most everybody. The restaurant 50 ft away
had three feet inside.

Stay safe everybody

Rich

brewmaster15
08-31-2011, 06:44 PM
You too Rich,
Glad that you are okay. Hope that power comes on soon for you!

-al

Keith Perkins
08-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Our area utility companies have a caravan of trucks and crews on there way over. They plan on working 16 hour days while they're there, so that ought to help a little. Hang in there.

Disgirl
08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
It is so good to see all the out of state utility trucks with men who have come to help us. The local hotels and restaurants are full of people who have come to help from all over the US just as NC has helped other states when they needed it. They are working day and night to get power restored. I'm sure it is just the same in all the other states impacted by Irene.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
09-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Yes Barb and a sight to behold.

Darrell Ward
09-01-2011, 01:52 AM
It is so good to see all the out of state utility trucks with men who have come to help us. The local hotels and restaurants are full of people who have come to help from all over the US just as NC has helped other states when they needed it. They are working day and night to get power restored. I'm sure it is just the same in all the other states impacted by Irene.
Barb

I saw a least a dozen trucks from our local Duke Energy heading east on Monday morning.

RichT
09-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I saw a least a dozen trucks from our local Duke Energy heading east on Monday morning.

That's who showed up on our block this morning. The boys from Duke Energy. Got electric back at 11 am.

Rich

fred 22
09-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I am glad thats over, Lost power 9 am sunday and got it back thursday at 4 am. I had 6 battery operated pumps for 12 tanks.
I moved them from tank to tank water temp. was down to 70, my tap water was coming in at 73 i did 2 50% water changes.
I fed them 2 times lightly in 4 days , They all look like they came through it fine, they all ate good today and temp is back up.
The company i work for was also out of power so i was home to baby sit the fish.
I hope everyone that is still without power gets it back soon and good luck to everyone.

Fred

brewmaster15
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Fred,
Welcome Back! Glad you and your fishes are well... This storm was a real PITA, but it could have been worse. Connecticut light and Power out here has told some I know that they'll be out of power into next week.

-al

terps
09-02-2011, 10:35 AM
The East Coast was lucky it was just a weak tropical storm. Most of the winds were in the 30 to 50mph range. Along the coast you had 50-70 mph range. It did pack lots of rain though and covered a huge area. The Northeast ground was already heavily saturated, so it didn't take much to topple over many trees and cause major flooding. The latest death count attributed to the storm was 46 in the USA. Statistically, the storm probably saved lots of lives last weekend. I figure at least 100 people die in traffic accidents alone in that area in a typical weekend. Plus the murder rates and accidental death rate probably dropped dramatically as people stayed inside to avoid the heavy rains.

Anyway, be prepared for the next storm. It's at least 7 days away. Hopefully, it stays away from land.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/ns/weather/t/hurricane-tracker/#.TmDn7I5EOi9

Disgirl
09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the update terps, but where I live no one is thinking of Irene as a weak tropical storm. Maybe it was elsewhere but not here on the NC coast. And if the next one comes here we are really in trouble.
Barb

zchauvin
09-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Most of the damage was water, people look at us and say were dumb for living in marshes in Louisiana but yet living on the coast and building a city 3 feet above ground is smart.... Whooops, disgurl I know its a strange thing for you guys to experience but if the other does go you guys way you know what to expect, hell we have a tropical storm hitting here tomorrow! It will be a warm coldfront for us though :) 40 mph sustained winds are sought after around here

terps
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the update terps, but where I live no one is thinking of Irene as a weak tropical storm. Maybe it was elsewhere but not here on the NC coast. And if the next one comes here we are really in trouble.
Barb

Along the coast in NC it was a moderate to strong tropical storm. Most of New England didn't even get tropical storm winds. Vermont might have been one of the hardest hit states and they just had very heavy rain.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/09/01/tropical-storm-irene/

Imagine how bad the storm could have been if it had sustained winds over 100mph over most of the area.

Here's some tips on dealing with tropical cyclones.
http://www.weather.gov/os/hurricane/resources/TropicalCyclones11.pdf

roclement
09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I dont care what it was, I am glad it's gone! Good riddance!

Rodrigo

zchauvin
09-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I dont care what it was, I am glad it's gone! Good riddance!

Rodrigo

Pray that predicted cat three doesn't hit you guys, then you will see what a bad hurricane can be like.

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 04:27 PM
My sailor instincts say Katia is swinging more northward.....

brewmaster15
09-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Most of the damage was water, people look at us and say were dumb for living in marshes in Louisiana but yet living on the coast and building a city 3 feet above ground is smart.... Whooops, disgurl I know its a strange thing for you guys to experience but if the other does go you guys way you know what to expect, hell we have a tropical storm hitting here tomorrow! It will be a warm coldfront for us though :) 40 mph sustained winds are sought after around here

Tell you what...I'll send you down some Ice and snow storms this winter and we'll see how Ya'll fair.:) Point is, any weather that is not typical for an area is bad weather.

-al

zchauvin
09-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Tell you what...I'll send you down some Ice and snow storms this winter and we'll see how Ya'll fair.:) Point is, any weather that is not typical for an area is bad weather.

-al

Lol agreed, I'd stay inside and crank up heater and **** it Haha

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 07:48 PM
If ya don't keep it shoveled so the gas man can get to your tank, it can get hard to just 'crank up heater'!!...

zchauvin
09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
If ya don't keep it shoveled so the gas man can get to your tank, it can get hard to just 'crank up heater'!!...

Nah, no tank were hooked into main line. Probably run out of food though from not being able to leave lol

terps
09-03-2011, 10:03 AM
My sailor instincts say Katia is swinging more northward.....

You might be right. It looks like tropical storm Lee might push Katia away from the coast. It should be interesting to see how they track.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/ns/weather/t/hurricane-tracker/#.TmIwQ45EOi-

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at201112_model.gif

patrick richard
09-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Today is day 6 without power. We are hoping to have it back by tomorrow night, keeping fingers crossed. The fish are doing OK. I think they wish they were some better conditions. On a good note, I had two pairs lay eggs during this but the daddy's decided they were'nt ready to start a family yet. I am heating up my storage tank right now with my generator, so I can do some warm water changes tonight after work. My two little girls are having alot of fun. They're pretending that they are camping. My wife and I on the other hand have had enough of this power outage. It got old real fast.

Keep everyone informed.

Patrick

fred 22
09-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Good luck Patrick i hope the power comes back soon.

Fred

Keith Perkins
09-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I can't imagine Patrick, or maybe I just don't want to. Hoping to hear better news from you on the power front soon.

Disgirl
09-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Hope you get it back today Patrick and family. Ours was off 3 1/2 days, so I know what you must be going through with 6. Good luck!!!
Barb

RichT
09-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Today is day 6 without power. We are hoping to have it back by tomorrow night, keeping fingers crossed. The fish are doing OK. I think they wish they were some better conditions. On a good note, I had two pairs lay eggs during this but the daddy's decided they were'nt ready to start a family yet. I am heating up my storage tank right now with my generator, so I can do some warm water changes tonight after work. My two little girls are having alot of fun. They're pretending that they are camping. My wife and I on the other hand have had enough of this power outage. It got old real fast.

Keep everyone informed.

Patrick

I know how you feel Patrick. Got power back Thursday afternoon then after 4 hours they took it back. Still waiting with you.

Rich

walt3
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM
i lucked out, never lost power! i have many friends that were out for 7 plus days! what! i had to set up a spray hose in my dads koi pond to keep the fish alive! he was in california at the time. he lost 7 big ones before i got it hooked up! crazy! cant imagine what would have happened to my poor discus :( that was a close one. phew!. walt.

patrick richard
09-05-2011, 11:20 PM
The lights are back on. We got power back on Sunday afternoon. We were out of power for a little over 8 days. I am glad to say, all fish survived and are doing well. All tanks just received a nice large warm water change. This has a couple females shaking at the breeding slates. Hopefully we don't have to go through this again, or for at least a long time.

Patrick

2075turner
09-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Glad to hear you finally got your power back on Patrick....good luck with those pairs:)

joanstone
09-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I live in the middle of the mess that the storm made of Vermont. I live on top of a hill, luckily, so didn't get any water damage to my house and only lost power for several hours. We have a generator so my fish never
missed a beat. Some of the areas around me are devastated with many roads closed/gone with businesses and homes destroyed. It makes for some interesting detours to get where you need to get around here. The old
saying you can't get there from here is definitely in use lately. It's great to see how people have come together to help out-the Army is great, they don't mess around! We actually had more damage to our camp in Maine
than we did here. Lost some trees and of course everything in the fridge as power was out for a long time I'm guessing.