PDA

View Full Version : How many discus can I have in my 55 gallon tank?

laupao
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have 6 (4.5-5 inch) discus in a 55 gallon tank. What is the maximum amount of discus I can have in my tank assuming with some expansion for growth. I really want to add 2 more (4.5-5 inch), making it a total of 8.

I don't mind the additional water changes since I'm already doing 50%WC every day or every other day.

Please let me know what you guys think.

atitagain
08-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Depends on what else your going to have in the tank and your filtration.

General rule of thumb is 1 fish for each 10 gallons of net water. BB tank with nothing else and good filtration 5-6 fish.

CajunAg
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't recommend adding any more. Instead save your money for a bigger tank ;)

laupao
08-25-2011, 12:35 PM
atitagain -- I have 1 aquaclear 70 with 2 ATI IV sponge filter. It's a BB tank with no decorations

atitagain
08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
On my 55 I run a AC 100 and an ehiem canister but I tend to over filter.

If you have a good water change routine you should be fine but like Luke said I would go any more than suggested and if you put a clean up crew in there it will get tougher to keep the water where they will need it to do well.

laupao
08-25-2011, 12:51 PM
atitagain -- what do you mean by clean up crew? like a pleco ?

I'm really temped to add 2 more..but i don't want to push it...Discus are so tempting !!!!

Cevoe
08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
One of the tanks I am running is a 55 gallon with eight discus; a mated pair and two trios.
It is a bare-bottom tank with two AC70's and sponge filters and the water is being changed every day 50%.
The eight have been in there a couple of months now without incident and there has even been a couple of spawns.
They are all full grown but none of them are of great size. A few maybe 6" to 6-1/2" and the rest are around 5" to 5-1/2".
That being said, I am keeping an eye on things and don't plan on keeping this group like that forever.
Kind of a test ballon for me.
If you can stick to the six you have in the 55 I think that's a good number.

atitagain
08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Anything else added will place a higher load on the tank. I was thinking Cory's or a pleco. If you add more fish you'll have to keep up with the WC's.

On my 75 I run two AC 70's with 6 discus and 6 cory's and do at least a 70% WC daily

I would think about what CajunAg said, you have the fever so maybe it's time for a bigger (or a second) tank.

Harriett
08-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Anything else added will place a higher load on the tank. I was thinking Cory's or a pleco. If you add more fish you'll have to keep up with the WC's.

On my 75 I run two AC 70's with 6 discus and 6 cory's and do at least a 70% WC daily

I would think about what CajunAg said, you have the fever so maybe it's time for a bigger (or a second) tank.

I have to agree with that. U can add more, but you are pushing it--no wiggle room if there is an issue or something comes up and you can't do the water change, because the bacterial load of 8 vs 6 adult discus = the tank is maxed to start with. The solution for this sort of fever is a larger tank or several 55s...start planning, LOL! That's the smarter way to go here.

Best regards,
HArriett