PDA

View Full Version : Pleco attaching to discus

Bud Smith
08-26-2011, 04:57 AM
I am interested in adding a couple of plecos to my discus tank but I have read that adult plecos will attach themselves to discus after the lights are out
Is this a common problem? Interested in comments and advise

wendy9722
08-26-2011, 07:15 AM
I dont have plecos with my discus. I use cories. but my plecos have attached to my angels so I can imagine they would do it to discus. They have killed off a decent number of them too (angels)..

Bud Smith
08-26-2011, 08:23 AM
I dont have plecos with my discus. I use cories. but my plecos have attached to my angels so I can imagine they would do it to discus. They have killed off a decent number of them too (angels)..

Thanks Wendy

aalbina
08-26-2011, 08:49 AM
There are many reports of plecos attaching to discus on the forum - even some pictures. Experience varies. I've had a bristle nose pleco in my 55 with my discus for about a year and never had a problem. From what I've read the bristle nose pleco (or sometimes called the bushy nose pleco) don't seem to have the affinity for the slime coat of the discus that other strains have. Adam

Bud Smith
08-26-2011, 09:47 AM
There are many reports of plecos attaching to discus on the forum - even some pictures. Experience varies. I've had a bristle nose pleco in my 55 with my discus for about a year and never had a problem. From what I've read the bristle nose pleco (or sometimes called the bushy nose pleco) don't seem to have the affinity for the slime coat of the discus that other strains have. Adam

That is excellent information - never knew about the slime coat - I am thinking that having a single adult bushynose may help the situation - any thoughts on that

Larry Bugg
08-26-2011, 10:13 AM
A lot of us keep BN's without issues.

atitagain
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
A lot of us keep BN's without issues.

+1

I have one in my 150 without any issues

3dees
08-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I just removed my adult bn pleco. never bothered my discus but as with most algae eating pleco's, once they find out it's easier to eat the fish food they stop taking care of the algae. plus the fact that my one bn crapped more than 8 adult discus combined. my sand is much cleaner now. bn's are probably one of the safest plecos to keep with discus.

gonçalo vale
08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
It is a lucky strike. But if you don't want problems it better not mix them

Larry Bugg
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I just removed my adult bn pleco. never bothered my discus but as with most algae eating pleco's, once they find out it's easier to eat the fish food they stop taking care of the algae. plus the fact that my one bn crapped more than 8 adult discus combined. my sand is much cleaner now. bn's are probably one of the safest plecos to keep with discus.

LOL, isn't that the truth. You put a BN in the tank to "clean up" and they do a excellent job of cleaning up excess food but they are like goldfish..............what goes in comes right back out.

Bud Smith
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
It is a lucky strike. But if you don't want problems it better not mix them

I am considering that - I just wanted to keep my driftwood a litlle more free of alage and when I had angels I did have the problem of them eating the fish food and leaving the alage go as was mentioned
Very good discussion about plecos - I learned a little more

jimg
08-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I always have/had ancistrus(bushy nose pleco) and never a problem with them and discus or them eating the food. The ones who get a liking for food and stop eating algae as they get older are sae's

RubyRed
08-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Not sure where you are in Ohio, but I have juvies and adults if you're interested.
I keep my bushy nose with discus...No problems yet.
Trish

Chipper jones
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
I have 1 large green phantom pleco 2 Colombian Zebras and the famous zebra pleco no problems ever. Hans keeps plecos in his tanks as well

Bud Smith
08-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I try to keep my discus tank well maintained and that brown alage on the manzanita wood drives me nuts - cleaning it on a reqular basis is hard to do because of the way it is mounted in the tank - Bristle nose pleco it is - I can control the eating of the food by feeding my discus in smaller amounts several times a day so not much is available for the plecos at any given time
How many would be recommended for a 75 gallon tank with several pieces of driftwood? I would prefer older juvies or adults

jimg
08-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I try to keep my discus tank well maintained and that brown alage on the manzanita wood drives me nuts - cleaning it on a reqular basis is hard to do because of the way it is mounted in the tank - Bristle nose pleco it is - I can control the eating of the food by feeding my discus in smaller amounts several times a day so not much is available for the plecos at any given time
How many would be recommended for a 75 gallon tank with several pieces of driftwood? I would prefer older juvies or adults
3 or 4 you can go more but then you'll have to feed them zucchini or algae wafers in addition. (it won't hurt to feed that to 3 -4 occasionally either)