PDA

View Full Version : Keep or no?

Sheila
08-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I have 2 blue diamond discus which may or may not be going back to where I got them from (one for sure is). I just can't decide if the second one is stunted or if there is hope for it to turn out nicely. I seem to have no luck with blue diamonds. So I need some opinions, keep or no?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/0022.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/003.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/004.jpg

Stag
08-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Do you mind if we ask where you got them? How long are they? And do you know how old they are?

walt3
08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
he might not win a prise but he looks pretty healthy to me. it could be stunted a bit but could be a pretty attition even if hes not grade "a". :) i like him,her... walt.

Keith Perkins
08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
I've got a blue diamond and some of his offspring. None of them have anything like that yellow coloration around the mouth yours has. Not very attractive, bummer. The eye ratio doesn't look very good either. Here's a link to mine if you want a look, they are about a year old. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89962-The-Boys-in-Blue

Sheila
08-26-2011, 11:06 PM
I think he's about 5 months old, I have had him/her for about a month. He/she is a very good eater and very active. All the pics are of the same fish.

kendrid
08-26-2011, 11:09 PM
That yellow is odd. I have a BD that I purchased about a month ago and it's solid blue.

It's eye does look big for the body so it maybe stunted. I had two fish that were determined (by this forum) to be stunted and one grew up fine. He's now almost as big as my other discus. None are monster sized but they are all healthy and nice and fat.

Plumkin
08-27-2011, 02:33 AM
I think its gorgeous with the yellow on the tail.

ZX10R
08-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Here is my vote: KEEP

Sheila
08-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Hmm, it seems like most people vote for keep. I am definitely bringing the other one back as it doesn't look as good as this one, but maybe I'll hang on to him and see what happens.

ZX10R
08-27-2011, 12:50 PM
I have a pic of my BD when I first got and and his eyes were huge he turned out to be a nice looking discus. I like that yellowing color on this guy plus if you ever look at juvie pics compared to adult pics way different looking.

Stag
08-27-2011, 01:45 PM
My vote would be to keep it as well.

ericatdallas
08-27-2011, 11:28 PM
That's got to be something you ask yourself...

I mean, I have some poor quality discus that I keep, it depends what you're doing with them. I probably wouldn't breed them, but at the same time, sometimes the poor quality isn't due to their genetics, but to their care, so it might be okay...

I vote keep though if you're just putting it in a DT.

yim11
08-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Well said.

What matters is if you like the fish, not what any of us think. If you are worried the fish are too set back or stunted to grow into nice fish I don't think that's the case. Lots of good food and fresh water will give you big healthy fish.

I say grow em out and see what you get.

That's got to be something you ask yourself...

I mean, I have some poor quality discus that I keep, it depends what you're doing with them. I probably wouldn't breed them, but at the same time, sometimes the poor quality isn't due to their genetics, but to their care, so it might be okay...

I vote keep though if you're just putting it in a DT.

walt3
08-28-2011, 02:20 PM
i whole heartedly agree. i purchased 3 browns at my lfs even though one looked a bit stunted. i couldnt stand the thought of taking his 2 friends away and leavinghim all alone. :( seemed cruel. i know there just fish but i feel good giving him a great home with better care. hes doing great and is not at all the low man on the pole. fiesty!

YSS
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Keep the fish. It looks nice to me.

Fishplants
08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Definitely keep it. Nice shaped fish. And it is only 5 months old - plenty of growing in it yet. And I wouldn't get to concerned about the 'apparent' yellow around the face, it is still a very young fish and won't have it's full blue colouration yet.

If i were super picky I would point out the light spotting at the rear of the anal fin and the line at the rear of the dorsal fin, and the remnants of the eye bar top and bottom of the iris. But that would be extremely picky.

A nice fish with the potential to grow into a real looker given plenty of food, time, and water changes.

Would be interesting to see a photo of the other fish?

judy
08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
That yellow makes it quite interesting. I'd keep it...

Stag
08-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, theirs your answers OP. Hope that has helped you out.

jimfur
08-29-2011, 05:45 PM
You should decide what your goal is , display tank it will do fine, breeding maybe , maybe not. It is up to you for what you are looking for in that Blue Diamond, but remember if you do want more out of the fish, move it now so you will have that tank space when you find the one you really like!!!!!

Jim

Sheila
08-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, I appreciate all the answers. This was my second time trying blue diamonds, it's probably just me, but for some reason they don't impress me as much as other strains. I actually had a hard time with this decision but in the end I brought them back. I think I just prefer the patterned or pigeon blood types. I guess everyone has their own preferences. Thanks for all the help guys!

As for room for more, I have a 150g tank so I still have a bit of wiggle room:), I am also waiting for a certain someones babies.

Scott293
08-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I vote to keep! I like the yellow on the mouth and tail. It looks healthy

warblad79
08-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Don't keep it If you're uncertain, sometimes looks of the fish can be deceiving and you don't know what's inside their body. Buy only from reputable breeder or SD sponsor. I learned my mistake in the past and never again.

judy
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, I appreciate all the answers. This was my second time trying blue diamonds, it's probably just me, but for some reason they don't impress me as much as other strains. I actually had a hard time with this decision but in the end I brought them back. I think I just prefer the patterned or pigeon blood types. I guess everyone has their own preferences. Thanks for all the help guys!

As for room for more, I have a 150g tank so I still have a bit of wiggle room:), I am also waiting for a certain someones babies.
I'm feeding ten times a day...:) they're growing... still another month or so, though...

Sheila
08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
awww, but I want them now! lol, just kidding, I can wait, I am excited though. Do you have any pics of the parents at all? I didn't get a good look at them when I was over.

judy
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
kinda hard to get shots of them in the currently too-crowded DT (wish Reinholdt would hurry up with that new tank!) , but I'll try...

Sheila
09-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I think it took him about 5 weeks to finish my tank, but well worth the wait. His tanks are incredible, I get comments on it all the time! I just wish I didn't have to go swimming to reach the bottom!

PhishNFilly
10-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Gosh I think it's nice........I don't have a trained eye yet tho. I say......keep. J

Chillinfish
10-24-2011, 11:36 PM
The yellow may be from Tetra color bits fed quite frequently. I used to own a blue diamond with strong yellow color. Just keep it on some black worms and beefheart and it should cool down a bit. He has plenty of growing to do I was in your position with my first fish, a yellow diamond. Let him grow out and he turned out okay, not an ideal fish but good for just the display.

Good luck,

Andrew

ofmy
10-25-2011, 12:06 AM
he might not win a prise but he looks pretty healthy to me. it could be stunted a bit but could be a pretty attition even if hes not grade "a". i like him,her... walt.
elecachat.fr