PDA

View Full Version : Discus ID

typicalalex1
08-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone. I have just bought my first discus and they have all settled in fine. Im not 100% sure on what strain of discus they are though.

I think one is a blue cobolt and another some kind or turq but im not sure.

Any help please?

Thanks

walt3
08-28-2011, 09:40 AM
looks like red turq, and blue dimond to me. may be a bit stunted due to the look of the large eye but give them lots of love and should be just fine. live black worms and daily water changes and they will take off! works for me. good luck. walt. p.s. lets see a full shot of the tank! always fun to see others aquascapes. cheers! :)

LizStreithorst
08-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Two turks, a Cobalt, and a SS. I agree that they're stunted (sorry). On the bright side, if you ever intend to breed you have 3 compatable strains.

typicalalex1
08-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah of course.

Cant see how they would be stunted, they were in a nice sized tank in the shop, at least 50 gallons with 6-7 other discus.

I was told they were bred in the UK and had been in the shop for only a couple of weeks.

The tank is taller than this but i had to get the file size down to had to crop it down a bit.

All live plants, lava rock in the background and wood with java fern and various anubias to the left.

typicalalex1
08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Sorry but what is a SS Discus?

cjr8420
08-28-2011, 12:23 PM
1 brillant colbalt 2 ? 3 blue ss/snakeskin 4 turk

jimmyjoe
08-28-2011, 12:42 PM
From what you describe as getting them from a let's say a 50 gallon aquarium with a total of 6-7 other's besides your 4, they look stunted to me also, sorry. It's possible you can grow them out to be some nice fish, good luck...........Jim

LizStreithorst
08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
SS is Snake Skin. It's the one with the greater number of bars, and the fine pattern on the gill plate. It's my favorite strian. They cross beautifully with other compatable strains and produce a variety of patterns.

It ain't the end of the world, but your fish are stunted. You can tell from the eye to body ratio. It's almost always better to buy directly from the supplier rather that at a fish store.

ZX10R
08-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Do you know how old these fish are? I think this is information you need before you can say they are stunted. Sorry but I don't buy the whole body to eye ratio thing if they are juvies.

typicalalex1
08-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Well i was told they had been at the store for no more than 3 weeks so they cant be that old can they?
They were bought from within the UK so they are not imports.
Discus are replaced in the store every week so they get a constant supply.
They buy their discus from the same place and some of the other discus were easily 5inches +.

Suppliers wont keep their discus in bad conditions and stunt their growth and their growth wont be stunted in the space of a few weeks.

I bought the smallest ones there.

To be honest i dont think the eyes look that big, i have seen pics much worse than what mine are.

At the end of the day, they are all very healthy, feeding well on bloodworm and im trying to get them on to tetra prima.
They are still establishing a pecking order and are responding well to me approaching the tank, like hovering for food.

walt3
08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
glad to hear it! i love it when i walk down stairs and they see me from across the room and rush that side of the tank waiting to be fed. :) its not love for me but the live black worms but it still feels good. chiclids, gotta love em! tetras just dont give you that kind of feedback.:) walt. great looking tank. is that an overflow box on the top right?

typicalalex1
08-28-2011, 03:32 PM
ha no its either the filter or the reflection from the window but i can see why you would think that.