PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!

aussiejas
08-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Not in a very good mood ATM,,,, got home from work and found that my @#$% wife has turned the power off to my tank before she left for work (for reasons beyond my comprehension) so they have been without power for 10 hrs. They look very stressed and dark in the cold water and I need to know WILL THEY SURVIVE? Are the bio organizms that i took so long to cultivate in the filter dead? Will I file for divorce now or wait till the fish have died a slow painfull death?

richardnuss
08-29-2011, 02:28 AM
They should be fine - do not do anything too quick. Allow the temp to head back to the normal temp over an hour or two.

Regarding the filter, just keep an eye on the nitrite levels over the next day or two. I have been without power for a couple of hours at a time and had no serious problems (except spontaneous spawning).

Also do a couple of water changes each day - should keep any bacteria at bay.

aussiejas
08-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Cheers for your comment, Ive now found out she probably turned the power off last night so now we are looking and about 20 hours without power. IM #$%^! ing ropeable.

strawberryblonde
08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
My fish were without power for an extended period one day and the temps reached 76. I was frantic, but took deep breaths, added an air stone to make sure they got some fast oxygen into the water and then slowly heated the tank back up. By the time it reached 80 degrees (26.5 celcius) they were coloring back up and looking for food.

Just warm the tank slowly! They can't handle sudden changes of more than a couple degrees.

I'd also do some large water changes for the next few days and check often for nitrites to make sure that your bio media is all fine. Unless it's a closed system (canister filter) it's probably fine. I've put sponge filters in my fridge to hold them for a few days at a time and they do just fine. They lose a little bacteria, but catch right back up again once they go back in a tank.

aussiejas
08-30-2011, 05:33 AM
My fish were without power for an extended period one day and the temps reached 76. I was frantic, but took deep breaths, added an air stone to make sure they got some fast oxygen into the water and then slowly heated the tank back up. By the time it reached 80 degrees (26.5 celcius) they were coloring back up and looking for food.

Just warm the tank slowly! They can't handle sudden changes of more than a couple degrees.

I'd also do some large water changes for the next few days and check often for nitrites to make sure that your bio media is all fine. Unless it's a closed system (canister filter) it's probably fine. I've put sponge filters in my fridge to hold them for a few days at a time and they do just fine. They lose a little bacteria, but catch right back up again once they go back in a tank.

Its a canister filter, they look ok today but will keep up with 50% W/C daily for the next week to make sure. Cheers ppl. Ive calmed down abit today.

DiscusLoverJeff
08-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Glad all is well. Now, take your wife out for some dessert and explain the ways of a discus addict to her and hope she understands not do do things like that again. Lol

aussiejas
08-31-2011, 02:19 AM
Two have darkened clamped fins today but the eruption looks like normal,, another W/C........

richardnuss
08-31-2011, 03:07 AM
Check nitrites and water change as you are.

Also, if they show any sliming check for bacteria infections - think non-iodated salt should sort that out if it is the case.

PhishNFilly
10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Maybe this will be a good learning experience if you should ever have a power outtage. Be kind to your wife, trust me she won't ever do that again I am thinking lolol. How did this turn out for you I see it's from August. Julia

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Know it sucks BUT sh$t happens... im sure she said sorry,,,give her a kiss tell her you love her,,and to remember to treat the Discus like they are both of your babies....

aussiejas
11-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Sorry ppl havnt been back to this thread for abit,, All fish are still growing and eating very well!! We kissed and made up and will soon be adopting some red melons.