PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene Report

Disgirl
08-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Hello Simply Discus friends. I have missed you the past several days. We made it through that ghastly hurricane and I feel so sorry for the rest of you facing her wrath now. We just got power back after 3 full days without it. Our generator kept all my fish not only alive but as if nothing happened outside their tanks. Even my koi pond did OK with no filtration for days. Our house in undamaged but our 3 acre yard is torn up. Branches everywhere but we are hiring neighborhood boys to clean it up for us. I have a head injury that will take time to heal up. I fell hard on my head onto the concrete garage floor while trying to open our garage door manually with no electric opener working. A rope I was pulling hard on broke and I flew backwards and landed right on the back of my head. I thought my head would crack open like a coconut, but it didn't thank heavens. I have a huge swollen spot and will go to the Dr. tomorrow morning for an xray as I have been ordered to. I have no bad symptoms except a headache. But a nurse friend told me I must get it looked at.

We had 14" of rain in 12 hrs. and the winds got up to 75mph. It lasted for at least 12 hrs. here, moved so slowly we thought it would never head north. The eye came right near us. Trees down all over town, power lines down, some areas flooded (not us, we are on high ground) and everybody is so hot and tired of this all. Our house was over 85 degrees for days, at least the discus didn't mind. That's all for now, I need to go lie down now. Thanks for all your concern, I will report more later on. To those who have cone orders with me, I will get them out later this week. They are all made and ready to mail.
Your friend, Barb:)

Second Hand Pat
08-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Barb, glad all is well (as can be) and yes, please take care of your head. Pat

2075turner
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Glad to see you back Barb. I have been checking in to see how you made out. Please do make sure you get to the doctors just incase you have a concussion and need to get it taken care of. Take some time to recuperate (rest) before getting back to business, I'm sure everyone will understand if their cones are delayed by a couple of days.

Darrell Ward
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Dang Barb! Glad you were not seriously injured. Could have been much worse. Take care, Darrell.

nwehrman
08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Barb - please take care. My cone order can wait till you are back 100%. Glad you are safe- please take care and do get your head looked at, concussions are no laughing matter. Continued prayers.

roclement
08-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Welcome back! Glad you are well.

Rodrigo

Cevoe
08-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Good to see you weathered the storm.
Take care of that injury and hope you are 100% soon.

Stag
08-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Welcome back Barb.

I'm glad to hear your still kicking. But Barb... you can't be slacking on those cone orders. What is the world coming to if small things like a concussion, hurricane, and loss of power for days on end prevents delivery of our discus cones! :D

Stay Safe.

DLock3d
08-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your head Barb. Glad you and your fish did OK through the storm.

Larry Bugg
08-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Wow, gald to hear from you Barb. We were all worried.

Ronald
08-30-2011, 01:08 AM
I bet you was worried sick that you get a headache because of the Discus. And now it’s that darn Garage Door.
I am glad it is not worse but as already said take care of that. It might not be anything more then a bump but you never know.
Wish you the very best outcome.

Regards,
Ronald

CrazyAngels
08-30-2011, 01:16 AM
So very glad that you and yours are okay and past the worst of the storm. Please do have yourself checked well for the bump on the head, those are injuries that must be looked at always. I say, Better safe than sorry, as the doctor will most likely find nothing. Do keep us update though.

Take care and chat soon..

ashaysathe
08-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear you are doing ok Barb. Good Luck

Disgirl
08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
I so appreciate all your encouragement and kind words! We lost power again, just a few hrs. after getting it back and it just came back again. We are keeping extension cords and generator all ready to go again if needed. The generator is worth it's weight in gold or at least silver. It kept all my tanks doing great and my new Hans' juvies are fine. And our fridge/freezer are fine, we were hot, tired and dirty but at least we had cold drinks and food. Others have lost them all. Our yard was a mess but kind neighbor boys and 2 parents have cleaned it up for us, the only good thing about being hurt and having an infirm husband. Our small city has lost many thousands of trees, power lines still down in lots of places and some low lying areas are flooded.

And on top of it all we see that 2 more hurricanes are headed in the same direction as Irene. What a summer for us, March tornado, summer long drought (over now), earthquake last week and now Irene. We will never forget this summer. Thanks all for your concern and interest. I hope all you up north are doing OK, we just now have our cable back so we can see what has been going on north of us.

I saw a Dr. this morning, my head is hurt but will recover, I am past the danger time. My head is very sore but shows how strong the human skull is. I hit the concrete very hard, surprised I didn't dent the floor! My poor husband was quite worried but feels better now.
Barb

YSS
08-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Glad you made out with minimal and non-permanent damages. :-)

nwehrman
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Absolutely - glad your going to be ok! Take care of yourself and glad the new Juvies are doing great!

Disgirl
08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
I just drove a bit around town and although we don't have the flooding some other people have, so bad that is, we have lost thousands of trees and lots of them are very big and old trees. Many are on houses. I saw one brick house completely smashed by a huge tree on top of it. Hope nobody was inside. I am sure hoping the rest of you in the wrath of Irene are doing a bit better now. Post here and let us know, when you can.
Barb

DonMD
08-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi, Barb,

Glad to hear you are recovering, sorry about the damage to your town. I too was on generator taking care of my Hans fish, everybody just fine. We were only without power for 10 hours, luckily. We're well to the west of the path that Irene took, being about 17 miles from D.C. Other than lots of debris, no problems, but yes, I've been looking at Katia, too. Let's hope she beats north soon.