PDA

View Full Version : advise for fertilizer in 75 planted tank?

walt3
08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
i have a planted 75 gallon discus tank with 130 watts of 6700 k compact flourescent. no co2 at the moment. should i be adding flourish to this tank if i have it? wondering what i should do if anything to help plants with the tank variables at the moment? thank you for helping me with this question. walt. :)

TankCla
08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
In my 75 gal, the only fertilizer I use now is API Leaf Zone. I noticed an incease of nitrate from Fluorish.

Claude

judy
08-30-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't use any fertilizer in the water column-- just fertilizer tabs or sticks in the substrate (when I had a substrate) and tabs in the bottoms of the pots the plants are in now. I did have to use Flourish Excel more for algae than anything else (it has an algaecide in it), but since I've gone with the pots, there is no algae problem at all. And the absence of the CO2 aspoect of the Flurish does not seem to be a problem. I have to prune heavily once a month.

x2h
08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't use any fertilizer in the water column-- just fertilizer tabs or sticks in the substrate (when I had a substrate) and tabs in the bottoms of the pots the plants are in now. I did have to use Flourish Excel more for algae than anything else (it has an algaecide in it), but since I've gone with the pots, there is no algae problem at all. And the absence of the CO2 aspoect of the Flurish does not seem to be a problem. I have to prune heavily once a month.

+1. i don't have to dose anything in my 75 gallon, with the potted plants. I set up another 2.5 gallon with potted plants too, and don't have to dose anything either. the plants are growing, and NH3/NH4/NO2 = 0 ppm, NO3 = 1 ppm. Heck, I don't even use a filter either, just a tiny pump that moves water around.

walt3
08-30-2011, 03:22 PM
thanks everyone. :)