PDA

View Full Version : Discus growing question......

noobF1
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Hello all!!! So i just have couple questions wanting to get some opitions on. I have a total of 10 discus mix of BD, PB, virgin red, pretty much bunch of mix. So my biggest one seems to be a 5.5-6 inches. The bigger ones seems to be getting alot bigger faster then the smaller ones. Why? I feed them the same time with enough food. For example i bought a BD, PB and a scorpion from Kenny almost at the same time. Oct and Nov of last year. But the sizing is big difference. Their in a 55 with water change of 50 percent at least 3 times a week. Here a picture of them. Thanx for reading.

angmat
08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
i've always found BD's to grow very slowly for some reason..

noobF1
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
You think they're "stunted"?

Plumkin
08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
i want you big blue fish! Don't they just grow at all different sizes like angelfish? when I raised mine id have some grow so large so fast some that never seemed like they ever grew and some that just grew normally

TURQ64
08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
It's they way the pecking order/size seems to work, hence the regimen of keeping like sizes together, reshuffling to keep it that way...'ole Jack Wattley, methinks...

edit: I bought a few Scorps and Rose Reds from Kenny all at the same time. Two Rose Reds are a league apart from the other four....just how it works out..Big fish stays big fish..

strawberryblonde
08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Yup yup, what Turq says is true. My Red Scrib and Marlboro Red were smaller than the rest when I got them in April, but grew faster and are now well over 7". My Flachen, who was my largest back then is just under 7" and about done growing and my Red Turq is just now outgrowing him. My slowest grower is my Brilliant Turq. He's still only about 5.5" and still grows just VERY S L O W L Y!

I added four new 4" discus to my tank 6 weeks ago. In that batch the Red Turq is already a spawning female and is still 4", but healthy. The FlachenSS is well over 5" and the Cobalt and Flachen are 5". I think the Red Turq would have grown as quickly as my older one except that she paired with my Red Scrib on her second day in the tank and spends all her time laying eggs instead of eating.

So it probably all boils down to the genetics of the fish, availability/competition for foods and a few other things like that. So long as they remain healthy and keep growing, don't fret too much about them.

noobF1
08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
So is it possible that discus is at 4inches and will never grow any bigger?