PDA

View Full Version : How to price your fish for sale?

ZX10R
09-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi All,

I am going to be taking down one of my tanks hopefully in the next month. I will be moving some fish around and want to sell off 7 of my discus. Nothing is wrong with them except they ended up being the runts of the groups I purchased and the pigeon has a lot of peppering. All but 2 of these fish came from sponsors on here but all were bought around 2.5"-3.5" and I paid $230 for them all. I am going to guess they are all around 4"-4.5" range now without pulling them and measuring. So how do I price them to people in order to sell them?

TURQ64
09-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I'd do a comparative check with Aquabid, and maybe shave it or throw in an extra tidbit..JMO....(it's the way I price sub adults)

Moon
09-01-2011, 01:00 PM
If they are all runts you won't get much for them. This is unfortunate but a fact.

ZX10R
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I'd do a comparative check with Aquabid, and maybe shave it or throw in an extra tidbit..JMO....(it's the way I price sub adults)

I haven't thought of that

If they are all runts you won't get much for them. This is unfortunate but a fact.

This is kind of what I was fearing. I priced them for $300 to someone since they are bigger then when I purchased them. But then I got thinking no way would I pay that much for runts and realized I way over priced them.

ericatdallas
09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I think the thing to do is post pictures and work at a resonable price and if it doesn't sell, then you lower it.

When I sold some of mine, I ended up underpricing them since it was my first sale, so don't be too conservative either.

I think it also matters what they are... I mean, if you're selling peppered PBs you're not going to get what you would get for say millenium golds.

ZX10R
09-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I think the thing to do is post pictures and work at a resonable price and if it doesn't sell, then you lower it.

When I sold some of mine, I ended up underpricing them since it was my first sale, so don't be too conservative either.

I think it also matters what they are... I mean, if you're selling peppered PBs you're not going to get what you would get for say millenium golds.

I guess that is what I will do when I am ready to sell them. Just post pics and hope for the best maybe I can just break even. This is what I am planning on getting rid of.

1. Leapord
2. Golden Blue Diamond
3. Siam Yellow
4. Pigeon Blood
5. Red White
6. White Butterfly
7. Cobalt

Sean Buehrle
09-04-2011, 08:37 AM
It's hard to get your money out of them, unless you have some really nice fish and can stand your ground why they should go for a good price it's better just to unload them fast and thank the fish gods you got any money back at all.
That really holds true if all you have to do is bag them up and hand them over, it's really nice if you know they are going to a good place.
It's almost always a money losing proposition. JMO.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX10R
09-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Yep it is funny how it works. You buy a 2" fish for $35 it only grows to 4" and then you can only get maybe $20 for it. Buy a 2" fish for $35 and it grows to 6" then bam $100 easily. Just doesn't seem right but guess that is how things work in the fish world.