PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tank location

DanMan
09-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Just curious - Would it be a bad idea to have a breeding tank in a high traffic area? Would this impede mating or cause possible issues with frys attaching?

At some point I may give this a try and it would be easiest to setup a tank in my home office....but i'm wondering if the quiet basement is a better idea.

rdiscus
09-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Quite area is the best, but they don't have any problem in high traffic area after have first batch successfully

DonMD
09-02-2011, 11:50 AM
It's not a good idea to put any discus tank in a busy area. It stresses the fish.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

DanMan
09-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Lots of people have show tanks in their living rooms ...which are typically busy, people in and out, TVs on, etc. I realize breeding may be another story...

I'm not talking about doctors office busy...this is a home office - but in the evenings, the family watches TV in the room often.

DonMD
09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Lots of people have show tanks in their living rooms ...which are typically busy, people in and out, TVs on, etc. I realize breeding may be another story...

I'm not talking about doctors office busy...this is a home office - but in the evenings, the family watches TV in the room often.

You're right about living rooms, etc. I just thought by "high traffic" you meant something like an entry way, or hallway, something like that. I've had discus breed in my 125 gallon in the dining room, but I've never raised fry there. Give it a try and see what happens. Good luck!

strawberryblonde
09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
My display tank started out in one of the busiest places in the house...smack dab as you come around the corner from the hallway into the great room. My new discus HATED it...for about 2 weeks. And then they discovered that all that high traffic with people, dogs, cats and tv meant that they'd be noticed every time they sidled up to the glass to beg for food. From then on they loved all the traffic and never hid...never. Nothing phased them at all, not even the dog licking the glass and barking at them to "come play".

When I put in my new big tank, the only place it would fit in the house was against a short wall between the kitchen, the great room and right next to the dining room. It also gets extremely high traffic since the area is central to so many rooms.

I have a new pair who spawn in the tank on a weekly basis and have chosen the left end of the tank for egg laying. That end receives the MOST traffic and they don't bat an eyelash at it all. They just calmly go about guarding eggs/wrigglers and ignore all the peering eyes.

So, I think it's whatever your particular discus are acclimated to as far as the amount of traffic and activity they can handle without becoming stressed. If they've always been in a fairly quiet area, they probably would freak out if you put their breeding tank in a busy place.