PDA

View Full Version : Which filter provides the most bio filtration - Eheim 2215 or AC 110?

ExReefer
09-02-2011, 12:02 PM
My guess is the Eheim would provide the most bio. I don't care about the mechanical filtration aspect because they both would have pre-filter sponges on the intakes. Just wondering which would provide the most bio filtration. The Eheim clearly holds more media with it's combination of coarse sponge, bio rock (aka coco puffs), and final white sponge/floss. The flow through the Eheim is also slower so the water would spend more time in contact with media. My AC 100 is a work horse, but it really moves the water quickly through the filter and I wonder how much bio filtration is really provided at that speed.

Thoughts?

2wheelsx2
09-02-2011, 02:29 PM
I think you answered your own question. Bio capacity is function of bio media capacity. With identical media, the bigger volume is always going to have more bio capacity.

ExReefer
09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
What throws me off is the how these filters are rated.

2215 is rated for tanks up to 92 gallons
AC 110 is rated tanks up to 110 gallons

It does not make sense to me that the filter with less bio media is rated for larger tank.

2wheelsx2
09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Those ratings are generally meaningless, as you can have 10 fish in 110 gallon or 50 fish in a 55 gallon. I don't even know how they come up with those. I personally wouldn't put an AC110 on a 100 gallon and call it good. Sure it would move a lot of water, but that's about it.

ExReefer
09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I personally wouldn't put an AC110 on a 100 gallon and call it good. Sure it would move a lot of water, but that's about it.

That's what I'm thinking. They push a ton of water through them at a high rate, but too fast for good bio filtration. The AC 110 is a top notch mechnical filter though. The best!

2wheelsx2
09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
The AC 110 is a top notch mechnical filter though. The best!

Yep, no better bang for buck for mechanical filtration.

s4surf
09-06-2011, 03:02 PM
What throws me off is the how these filters are rated.

2215 is rated for tanks up to 92 gallons
AC 110 is rated tanks up to 110 gallons

It does not make sense to me that the filter with less bio media is rated for larger tank.

Thats because the filter ratings are based on turnover rate :)

The more media the more area for bacteria to multiply......the more area the greater possibility of a nitrate factory..... The only time I worry about bio capabilities is in over stocked tanks. IE: when I have a 100 fry in a 75 gal. You only need enough media for the bacteria population to grow to meet the demands of the tank.

On tanks 90gal> I use a canister and a 110 to get the best of both worlds. This also allows me to clean media separately and not impact water quality. A 110 with a bag of your favortie media and the sponge will cover quite a big load and are very easy to maintain/clean.

Steve

walt3
09-06-2011, 04:01 PM
i have the 2217 ehiem on my 75 and feel it does a nice job. i always go a bit bigger than what they say on the box.:) i love my ehiem but was thinking of adding a ac 110 to help polish the water of small particulates. good luck. walt.

ExReefer
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
i have the 2217 ehiem on my 75 and feel it does a nice job. i always go a bit bigger than what they say on the box.:) i love my ehiem but was thinking of adding a ac 110 to help polish the water of small particulates. good luck. walt.

I've thought about adding an AC110 as well (or AC 70 because they are so cheap), but with daily WC's, the extra filter just is not needed. I think a lot of us overfilter our tanks. With daily WC's, filtration is mostly just for piece of mind and water movement.

Are you using the last pad (the white pad) in your 2217? That should trap the smaller stuff pretty well.

walt3
09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
i am. i have the tubes then coarse blue pad then bio marbles then white pad. it works well i just still see small particles floating in water. im being picky im sure. water is very clear and i do 1/3 w/c every night. im about to go do one in 5 minutes. :) im sure i could do without. ive got a nice power head hidden in the back for extra water movement. still a mellow tank though. trying to keep the amazon look. :) my last tank was a 90 reef so i have alot of power heads laying about with unused compact flousecsents. shame really. :( walt.