PDA

View Full Version : what other fish could i keep with discus?

redruckus
09-02-2011, 07:40 PM
i am going to be getting a 135gal tank sooner then later and am wondering what other fish i could keep with discus... i was told i could keep fire eels.... just thinking of some other fish ideas preferably top water and bottom dwellers.. thanks guys im realy pumped to get into discus

discuspaul
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
You could consider German Blue Rams, many varieties of Cories (bottom-dwellers), Cardinal Tetras, Rummy-Nose Tetras, Lemon Tetras, and several other types of Tetras, as well as Harlequin or Copper Rasboras (mid to top-dwellers) , adult Amano Shrimps - there are others as well. Do a little research if there are other species you're thinking about - to confirm or otherwise, that they are compatible. Hope this helps.

3dees
09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
hatchet fish are great for the top layer, but you better have a cover. these fish don't jump, they fly. I would love a school, but my tank is open top.

redruckus
09-03-2011, 10:51 AM
in a 6' x 18" top how many african butterflys could i have if i had floating plants to set "teritory" or would the school of 15-25 hatchet fish be better?

Bill63SG
09-03-2011, 05:10 PM
hatchet fish are great for the top layer, but you better have a cover. these fish don't jump, they fly. I would love a school, but my tank is open top.Even closed top,they'll find the cracks.I try to keep a small school,but they slowly disappear.How about endlers.They like the higher temps,and ever since I added some water sprite for the babies to hide,they seem to be doing fine.

Shawn Ellen
09-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Mine are doing well with serpae tetras and emerald cories, I hope you find what works for you.

Shawn

redruckus
09-03-2011, 08:11 PM
would harlequin rasboras be an ok option? suposably they like colder water not a 80 degree discus tank.... talkin bout a school of 15-30 aprox

ZX10R
09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
would harlequin rasboras be an ok option? suposably they like colder water not a 80 degree discus tank.... talkin bout a school of 15-30 aprox

I have harlequin rasboras, rummy nose, cardinal, and hatchet fish in the same tank and they all do great with discus.

walt3
09-04-2011, 03:55 PM
ive got cardinals, brush plecos, cories, lemon tetras. afraid to add more for water quality issues. top layer not being used. would be great to fill that void with something... walt.

polarfish
09-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I've got black phantom tetras, zebra danios and clown loaches in mine and they all get together well :D