PDA

View Full Version : Plastic fish transport bags

Scott293
09-05-2011, 12:53 PM
OK I have searched the internet for plastic bags and it dawned on me duh, Ask on simply discus, sure they will know a good source.

I am currently just selling my discus locally which has been good enough for me so far, but I will be shipping some also. First to family from Cincinnati OH to Dallas Texas and to Missouri. The bags I have used to this point in selling fish have been just what I had gotten from a LFS. But I need to get maybe 100 or 150. I want to be sure that I get the heavier mil to be sure not to have any leaking bags. I have had fish shipped to me so I have seen how I need to package them. I just don't know what size and where to get my bags. I will also use them for local sales. I will eventually need some oxygen buddy pills to put in the water. Not sure what they are called. Any suggestions?

yim11
09-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Uline - http://www.uline.com/Grp_3/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open

I recommend the 3 mil, plenty of sizes to choose from.

Inland Empire Discus
09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree Uline is a good source.

Scott293
09-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Uline - http://www.uline.com/Grp_3/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open

I recommend the 3 mil, plenty of sizes to choose from.

What is a good size for shipping 2" discus? Yes I see there are so many sizes it's hard to pick one.

yim11
09-05-2011, 03:13 PM
What is a good size for shipping 2" discus? Yes I see there are so many sizes it's hard to pick one.

The 2"ers can't poke a bag as easily as a 4"+ fish can, so I get the 2mil 4x12 bags and triple bag the fish.

HTHs

mwdw
09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
TRY MCMASTER CARR. THEY HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING.

atitagain
09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Check out Kenfish.com

He has everything you need and if you do a search on SD you'll find out he gets great reviews.

Here's a link to his supplies.

http://www.kensfish.com/shipping-supplies.html

laborelch
09-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Check out Kenfish.com

He has everything you need and if you do a search on SD you'll find out he gets great reviews.

Here's a link to his supplies.

http://www.kensfish.com/shipping-supplies.html

+1

2 or 3 mil are the way to go.

Scott293
09-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the help averyone!
I ordered from Kensfish.com. He looked to have the best deal and even more stuff

(50) 4x18 (100) 6x18 3 mill, (100) 8x18 3 mil and heat packs and bag buddy tablets. Now I just need to get a bottle of oxygen with a regulator and valve. I have the Styrofoam lined boxes. So a week form now I'm all set. The first shipping run is going to be to my brother in MO.
Thanks all

DonMD
09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Sounds like you're on a roll. You can probably get a small O2 tank from a local gas supply company. I'd only suggest extreme caution with compressed oxygen cylinders. If you get a leaky valve, you could have a very combustible situation. Can you keep the tank in a non-human occupied building? Just a thought.

jimg
09-05-2011, 05:43 PM
The bag buddies are what you might be thinking of.

Scott293
09-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you're on a roll. You can probably get a small O2 tank from a local gas supply company. I'd only suggest extreme caution with compressed oxygen cylinders. If you get a leaky valve, you could have a very combustible situation. Can you keep the tank in a non-human occupied building? Just a thought.

I'm lucky to be familiar with the safety of oxygen tanks and regulators being a welding instructor and welding inspector with the American Welding Society. I haven't asked yet but think I can get that for nearly nothing. I'll find out this week. If I find out any tricks I'll let everyone know. My local gas supplier is also a medical gases supplier.

ericatdallas
09-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Maybe I got crappy bags or it was because my discus were larger (5") or a combo of both, but they kept busting the 3mil bags I bought from kensfish.com :(

DonMD
09-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm lucky to be familiar with the safety of oxygen tanks and regulators being a welding instructor and welding inspector with the American Welding Society. I haven't asked yet but think I can get that for nearly nothing. I'll find out this week. If I find out any tricks I'll let everyone know. My local gas supplier is also a medical gases supplier.

Great. I work with lots of welders, too. Ironworkers, boilermakers, sheet metal workers, plumbers, etc, in safety and health training. Glad to hear you're knowledgeable on compressed 02. Good luck with the shipping and breeding, wish I could find the time!

brewmaster15
09-06-2011, 11:52 AM
With Discus, I triple bag with 3 ml bags, newsprint between the 1st and 2nd (from inside out) For adult discus...4 ml is a wise upgrade..Bags are cheap...fish $$$$

hth,
al

ericatdallas
09-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I think if I ever need to transport fish, I'll probably do the inner bag at 4 mil and then double/triple bag with 3 mil (just so they don't go to waste).

Ken doesn't sell 4mil bags (at least none I could find) though :(

jimg
09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Maybe I got crappy bags or it was because my discus were larger (5") or a combo of both, but they kept busting the 3mil bags I bought from kensfish.com :( I had the same problem but from another source.If I didn't put the fish in my hand and place it gently all the way in the bag it would get fin hole instantly.

Scott293
09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Well,
So far, just bagging up fish for local sales I haven't noticed any holes. I hope I haven't sent people away with leaky bags. I have always followed up with each sale and no one has mentioned it. I have even had people return to buy more. I think I'll be watching closer anyway.

ericatdallas
09-06-2011, 10:09 PM
I had the same problem but from another source.If I didn't put the fish in my hand and place it gently all the way in the bag it would get fin hole instantly.

I'll have to give that a shot next time. Wife bagged them. She worked for a LFS when she was in high school... maybe that explains it? :P