PDA

View Full Version : Moving 1300 Miles Away - How To Move Discus?

swick
09-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I am moving. My stuff is going down in a truck. I am going in a plane.

I have 3 discus (large, medium and small), about 12 glow light tetra, 5 hatchet tetra, 8 glasscats and 4 cory doras.

I see my options as: 1) plane with me, or 2) ship them via some shipping service or 3) in the truck (don't think this is good).

What is the safest way to get my fish down there? And how do I package them, etc?

Also, if I decide not to take the plane, what is better: option 2 or 3?

I found a 'how to ship discus' thread here on this site by searching, but the instructional pictures are missing.

thanks

Altum Nut
09-05-2011, 09:35 PM
I can offer the best advise possible.
Sell all fish and keep equipment. Once your settled in and tanks cycled get some new fish.
Less stress on you and your fish.
Good luck,

...Ralph

Sean Buehrle
09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I would sell the fish too, otherwise a 55 gal barrel on the truck with battery operated airstones, get drivers to replace batteries or use a car battery with an inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
09-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Selling the fish and starting over was my thought too before I even read the other replies. If you're determined to keep them I'd either pack them in my carry on or find a friend to care for them for about a week and fedex them to you after you're ready for them. Here's another thread with shipping instructions from the boss. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?78035-Shipping-Fish-101...-A-primer&highlight=shipping

Darrell Ward
09-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Honestly, the small amount of fish you have, would not justify the shipping costs. I would sell, or otherwise get rid of them, and replace them after you get settled.