PDA

View Full Version : Stopping all the breeding

atitagain
09-09-2011, 11:51 AM
So I'll try to keep this short.

I have two tanks with discus in them a 75 and a 150, each have size discus in them right now.

Both have breeding pairs and the 75 I still have a couple grow outs that are around 3.5 to 4 inches that I don't know the sex of yet. I also have to finish medicating the 75 so I don't plan on this change anytime soon.

My goal is not to breed and not to have the tanks divided up by breeding pairs, the 150 has three breeding pairs and they each hold 1/3 of the tank really not venturing out beyond they space. Depending on how the 75 shakes out I am thinking of separating all the males and females by tank so that they all just hanging out and swimming around instead of protecting territories.

Will this work or will I just end up with same sex partners :p or a ton of aggression?

rdiscus
09-09-2011, 12:05 PM
All male work, but female still pair up and lay egg ...
Some wish you have proven breeding pair, one wants to stop breeding :)

ExReefer
09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
The 150 is large enough to support more adults. I would pull out all the breeding cones and add more adults to the tank. If you added six more adults, I don't think the pairs could defend their terrirtories and the spawning would stop. You need to add large, strong adults to the tank so they can fight back and disrupt the pairs.

atitagain
09-09-2011, 01:27 PM
reefer, there are no breeding cones, they are using driftwood and the inlet hoses for the filters.

I may add some additional fish down the line but I am looking to break the breeding cycle in the near future.

ksikole
09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey I just had a pair start to spawn. Would anyone have an idea what a pegion blood and a colbalt offspring look like?