PDA

View Full Version : Tannin question

polarfish
09-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Do the tannins or at least the tea coloring that driftwoods give off actually affect the health of the discus? and if so how? :D

TURQ64
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Organic chemistry wasn't my thing, but the amino acids, humic goodies, etc. help replicate ingredients found their natural environ..probably more of a mental/chemical reaction IMO...try google, I guess..

Skip
09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
try google, I guess..

I <3 Google!

Discus Origins
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Same here with a scientific explanation...but if memory serves the tannins are actually antibiotic for health reasons and darker water calms down the discus. But that would apply more to wilds than domestics.

walt3
09-17-2011, 01:34 PM
i have heard the same. wood just looks perfect in a discus tank and the brush plecos love it too. i actually wish the tea color would stay in my tank longer than it does.:( seems to leave fairly quickly and i dont presoak at all. just chuck it in. never knew to do any different until i started here at this forum. oh well.

MightyEvil
09-21-2011, 05:05 AM
As for the tannings themselves, i have read that it actually helps fish too. Now, as far as the wood goes, i have read that it will soften the water, so too much drift wood can be bad if it changes ph levels drastically. Just a little "fact", according to previous research.

TURQ64
09-21-2011, 07:29 AM
As for the tannings themselves, i have read that it actually helps fish too. Now, as far as the wood goes, i have read that it will soften the water, so too much drift wood can be bad if it changes ph levels drastically. Just a little "fact", according to previous research.
a 'fact' is that most change a lot of water, negating any drastic anythings...I'd recommend posting your experiences here, not your readings. But if you must, there's a policy here of stating the source of your read 'facts'......

MightyEvil
09-21-2011, 04:10 PM
a 'fact' is that most change a lot of water, negating any drastic anythings...I'd recommend posting your experiences here, not your readings. But if you must, there's a policy here of stating the source of your read 'facts'......

I didn't mean to start a any controversy, or fights. I am not the type of person to come on forums and try to start beef with other people.

I don't know but I doubt that "MOST" people make water changes like they are supposed to, if they do, then good and I am wrong in that aspect. Now, it is clear and very true that some people do not make water changes like they are supposed to, maybe my words would be useful for them. If you are in the category of people who make water changes every day, then I apologize and you can ignore what I said because it doesn't apply to you.

Research can be anything, observation or theory, in my case it was both. I may be new to SD but I am definitely not new to fish keeping, I have many years of experience. I have African Cichlids and at some point my water was over 8.3 PH, I went on google and read that driftwood helps buffer/soften the water and that it can bring PH levels down. I started introducing driftwood to my tank little by little until my PH level was very close to 8.0. That was my research.

Now, I will like to apologize to Polarfish for any confusion I may have caused, my intentions were to help and for the sake of peace in this community, I will leave this discussion and not come back. Again, sorry!

polarfish
11-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Weirdly unrelated question...uhmm how do you post a new thread again? i forgot :))

Skip
11-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Weirdly unrelated question...uhmm how do you post a new thread again? i forgot :))

go to the forum you want to post in.. and the click START NEW TOPIC.. make the title.. then subject.. then POST or go advanced and PREVIEW THEN POST

polarfish
11-18-2011, 12:00 PM
=))thank you