PDA

View Full Version : Santarem Discus Importers

TURQ64
09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Anyone with personal knowledge of US importers of Santarem Discus?..I know Vitor has been a topic under the radar, but I'm not wanting to go there; just wondering who's importing his fish and what anyone's experience has been....Gary

brewmaster15
09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi Gary,

I've been approached by several people over the last year interested in becoming a sponsor here as a seller of Santarem discus...one as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, But nothing concrete here... can't help further there with your question, but I believe he markets largely thru youtube so you may want to start there with your search.

-al

TURQ64
09-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Well Al, I gave it a good look; three days of 'you-tubing', and a zillion Discus vid's..only saw a few with any reference to Santarem, and they were by vitor;one about a pay to fish expedition, and a few 4 year old shots..nothing current or regarding US sales..Anyone??

DonMD
09-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Gary, did you check with Hans?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

TURQ64
09-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Hans isn't handling new imports of wild Discus..Yep, I've chatted with Hans. His wilds were from Hudson, and simply put, Hudson and Vitor are competitors....but thanks, Don..

Second Hand Pat
09-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Gary, Dale might have some suggestions.

TURQ64
09-18-2011, 09:36 AM
My last two emails to Dale were unanswered...I had thought about a drive up to see him also, but fall's here, and I'm getting busy...Thanks, tho'..I think I'm only going to find an answer from a recent buyer..

April
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Dale doesnt have anymore discus.
There's a whole section on YouTube for their videos. Very nice. It may be where Dale got his last batch. He paid a fortune.
Very nice wilds.
As al said contact him and see if anyone in USA is importing. Maybe you can!
Maybe I should . Lol.

Discus Origins
09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Dale did get his batch of Solomons and the last new strains that he sold off from Santarem. He was looking to sell the entire group of 30 for around $6000, which means he had almost that much into each fish. That is a huge price for fish, that would mean resell price of almost $400/each. Hugo does have nice fish, but because he has Japanese investors most of the nice ones go to Asia and he charges higher prices for high grade fish.

Gary, I would say only way to be sure is to contact Hugo directly and see what he's asking for the fish this coming season. I've done some research and decided to go with Hudson because his prices were probably as high as the US market would be willing pay. I don't see too many fish selling at $300-400/ea here but for private stock it may work out.

April
10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm getting the last of his santarem discus. 17 next week.
He paid alot for the fish but it's the shipping that was way out of line. I believe he paid shipping to the USA then from there another 2 k to Canada. So they cost him far more than he could ever sell them for.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275182,-122.835522

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I was basically checking out what he may have had, but you are right, the prices are huge,not my cup of tea....Up to my ears in theses crosses at the moment anyway..Looks like little room, even with the planned fishroom build for more than a few new additions......(now stalled; family issues on the left coast)....I didn't see squat on utube that was anywhere near current..

DiscusBR
10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi Gary and all,

What exactly do you mean by Santarem discus? Santarem is a major city in the Brazilian Amazon which is located in the Alenquer region. So, as far as I understand, Santarem discus is the same as Alenquer discus and includes some red varieties: Cuipeuas (known abroad by the incorrect designation of Curiperas), Salomon, Curuai, etc. Vitor's company is located in the city of Santarem and that is why you come across a lot with his name when doing online searches. Hudson also collects fish there (in fact he reported in his thread that he is currently in Santarem), but his company H&K is located in the city of Fortaleza, outside the Amazon. Besides Vitor and Hudson, the third major exporter of wild discus is WB Sabby, the company owned by the Japanese Yamamoto and Kamoshida. I have been to their company in the city of Goiania (also outside the Amazon) and they also have wonderful discus, but they export mostly to Asia. I bought my Cuipeua discus from Yamamoto. He has wonderful fish. I hope that makes sense.

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I specifically mean Vitor Hugo Quaresma, Discus Santarem...Not a type of fish, domestic,wild, or otherwise..A company, plain and simple...

DiscusBR
10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I specifically mean Vitor Hugo Quaresma, Discus Santarem...Not a type of fish, domestic,wild, or otherwise..A company, plain and simple...

Oh, I see, sorry for the confusion. Did not remember that Vitor's company was called Santarem Discus. Doesn't John (snookn21) get his fish from Vitor?

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm not privvy to that info....just hunting my best deals..didn't have very good luck with john's shipping....might have to pay for that import license after all.

Discus Origins
10-09-2011, 01:22 PM
John gets his wilds from a wholesaler in the states, not from Hudson or Hugo

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I figured as much; there's a wholesaler over in Minneapolis,too somewhere.

rookie
10-14-2011, 02:37 AM
? is a Santarem the same as Brown discus

TURQ64
10-14-2011, 06:39 AM
In this particular case, it's a business, not a fish strain. You might be referring to a domestic strain made to look like wild type stock. Brown Discus are the original 'red' Discus in today's fashion concious name game...HTH, Gary