PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got a Tank Set Up in my New House !!

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 09:04 PM
hello Discus WORLD !!

im sure I will be lurkying around looking for tips and also trying to offer some of my own.

well I have owned my house for a 18 months now and have finally been able to set up a Tank of my OWN !

The water is still somewhat unclear but it is not cloudy. i think it is from the shells on the bottom

I came across a local guy who is also on the Forum come to find out. the Hooked Me up More than I ever thought I would have gotten with a Nice patch of 9 Discus. all diffenr size a types.

*75 deep gallon tank with Caribbean Puka Shells , 2 types of Live Plants. slate- rock- drift wood

* Rena XP2 Filter w/o charcoal
but added - nitra zorb - peat

* Bubble Stone :)

10 Neao Tera
2 Dwarf Sunset Gourami
2 Golden Rams

9 Discus

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 09:06 PM
upclose

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 09:08 PM
more

lipadj46
09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
did you do a fishless cycle or use cycled media?

Altum Nut
09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Welcome to Simply disc-va-757,

You have a nice group of discus. Care to share where Discus were acquired from.
The only problem I see in the long run is food and fish feces becoming trapped below shells. This will affect water quality and therefore affect fishes health. Most who decide to go with live plants and decor will go with a thin layer of sand.
Over-all a good looking set-up but keeping Discus will become a challenge in yours.
Just a thought from what I've learned over the years.

...Ralph

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 10:11 PM
did you do a fishless cycle or use cycled media?

i let it cycle for about 2 days fully set up with shells .. pants .. rock .. before i added the fish. and i have clean my XP2 two times . it is getting better . i slowed down my water movement some to help it settle . i really think its more the shells do to the crushed shell dust like mix that has landed on the drift wood and plant leaves.

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Welcome to Simply disc-va-757,

You have a nice group of discus. Care to share where Discus were acquired from.
The only problem I see in the long run is food and fish feces becoming trapped below shells. This will affect water quality and therefore affect fishes health. Most who decide to go with live plants and decor will go with a thin layer of sand.
Over-all a good looking set-up but keeping Discus will become a challenge in yours.
Just a thought from what I've learned over the years.

...Ralph

very true on the feces now that i think about it . but i will try my best to keep it clean .. i read the puka shells keep a pH 8.2 which was why i went with them.

i got the group from " mountain_priest " since he left the country do to the milatry !!

Altum Nut
09-17-2011, 10:30 PM
i let it cycle for about 2 days fully set up with shells .. pants .. rock .. before i added the fish. and i have clean my XP2 two times . it is getting better . i slowed down my water movement some to help it settle . i really think its more the shells do to the crushed shell dust like mix that has landed on the drift wood and plant leaves.

I think what lipadj46 was saying is did you use a seeded filter or just fill tank with tap water and let it run without a cycled fiter or did you add anything to start the bioload.
You might want to check for any ammonia levels as it will kill your beautiful discus fast.

...Ralph

jlcoop277
09-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I would ditch the shells.

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 10:57 PM
I think what lipadj46 was saying is did you use a seeded filter or just fill tank with tap water and let it run without a cycled fiter or did you add anything to start the bioload.
You might want to check for any ammonia levels as it will kill your beautiful discus fast.

...Ralph

tap water with some START RIGHT conditioner . i have not done a % water change yet since the fish have only been in afew days which if that doent make it better i will have to make some chanages as in ....

I would ditch the shells.

or just not so many shells make a thinner layer . i did think it was a bit too much from the start

Second Hand Pat
09-17-2011, 11:01 PM
disc-va-757, do you have an established bacteria bed in this tank?

Altum Nut
09-17-2011, 11:08 PM

If not as Pat has questioned...Start Right will not remove ammonia and will not cycle a tank.
I'm surprised your Discus are still alive.

...Ralph

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 11:09 PM

no just the puka shells and some old gravel from my tank b4 mixed in as seen in the photo if that helps any since my last tank was up and running for a while and had build up on the gravel from beeing a established tank , but i did boil the gravel 1st before i put in this tank. but no sand ??

Second Hand Pat
09-17-2011, 11:17 PM
So you have a uncycled tank with discus? Ouch. Are you able to do 75% daily WCs for the next six weeks? until a bacteria bed can establish itself?

Altum Nut
09-17-2011, 11:22 PM
The whole picture that not seem to add up.
Since you boiled the only benifical bacteria you had (gravel) you basically have none in your tank.
You really should do a ammonia reading and fast. There are test kits you can buy at your LFS.
Until you test, I would not buy anymore.
Your ammonia level should read 0, or under 1 at the highest.

...Ralph

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 11:23 PM
So you have a uncycled tank with discus? Ouch. Are you able to do 75% daily WCs for the next six weeks? until a bacteria bed can establish itself?

I WILL DO SINCE EVERYTHING IS NEW with my set up ...... THANK YOU VERY MUCH

IM Going to cycle water right NOOOOOOOWWWWW bye :)

disc-va-757
09-17-2011, 11:29 PM
TEST

NO2 0
NO3 0.5

Altum Nut
09-17-2011, 11:31 PM
At the very least...can you get a couple of cycled sponge filter tomorrow from your Discus supplier.

...Ralph

Second Hand Pat
09-17-2011, 11:44 PM
disc-va-757, we are trying to help you out so you can keep your beautiful discus alive. You have a couple of nice wild discus in your tank. Can you test for ammonia? Also Ralph's suggestion is an excellent one. :)

Pat

walt3
09-17-2011, 11:59 PM
i believe you would want to cycle a tank fully before adding fish. at least 2 weeks and more is the best case in a new tank. you better test every day and change water like its your job or those fish could be toast! BE CAREFUL.... they look way to pretty to kill. :( good luck. walt.

disc-va-757
09-18-2011, 12:21 AM
disc-va-757, we are trying to help you out so you can keep your beautiful discus alive. You have a couple of nice wild discus in your tank. Can you test for ammonia? Also Ralph's suggestion is an excellent one. :)

Pat

YES thank you all VERY MUCH that is why i am on the FORUM .. HELP and FEEDBACK is a Big PLUS !!!
yet i didnt check the ammonia before the water change

disc-va-757
09-18-2011, 12:25 AM
i believe you would want to cycle a tank fully before adding fish. at least 2 weeks and more is the best case in a new tank. you better test every day and change water like its your job or those fish could be toast! BE CAREFUL.... they look way to pretty to kill. :( good luck. walt.

i had my deep 37 gallon up and running for a while with simple fish like barbs and balas and other simple fish. intill i meet the guy with the discus so at 1 st i just got 4 from him and reset up the 37g for a discus . and afew days later i got 5 more from himafter this 75 g was up and running since he had to be out of the country TODAY i really didnt have time to cycle the 75 g and the 37g was way to small for even 4 i started with

disc-va-757
09-18-2011, 01:38 AM
is there anything i can put in my tank or XP2 canister to help build a bacteria bed . ex : algae eater disc or a type of in tank moveing bed filter bottle hooked to air pump ?

JustinKScott
09-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Buy a second filter with bacteria

disc-va-757
09-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Buy a second filter with bacteria

i have my old HOB filter still for my 37g i can hook that up also

JustinKScott
09-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Doesn't matter if the bacteria is dead. Seriously, it might help you understand what your dealing with if you look up "the nitrogen cycle" on google.

Make no mistake, your in for a rough time over the next two weeks.

Where are you? Maybe some one can help.

TURQ64
09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
do a daily WC of at least 50%, and use Prime or Safe, as they will also bind with the ammonia,rendering it usuable by any developing bacteria.(it's on the label) several bio starter products do work, so it's only a matter of a week or two before you can be 'out of the woods'...DO try to get an understanding of the cycling necessary in aquariums...Gary

walt3
09-18-2011, 09:06 AM
best thing i did was learn and totally understand the nitrogen cycle. it will save headaches later for sure. whatever you do.... test and change water everyday. like was said 50% will really help you get through the next couple of weeks. get a python type system if you dont have one. it takes away any excuse for not doing a water change. so easy! :) good luck! things look great at the beginning but it can go south very fast with a high bio load and lack of aggresive water changes. stay alert.

JustinKScott
09-18-2011, 01:01 PM
When I've gone through uncycled tanks (because of the filter being unplugged on accident); I had to do two 50%/day just to keep the ammo under 1ppm. This was just one small discus, and I wasn't heavily feeding like I should have been.

walt3
09-18-2011, 01:15 PM
nuff said! :) scary! :(

lipadj46
09-18-2011, 09:19 PM
I would remove all the substrate and go bare bottom with daily 100% water changes until the tank is cycled. Be prepared to do twice daily changes if the fish start to go downhill. This is how I got my guys through a mini cycle. Also don't add the shells back, they are the opposite of what you want in your tank

walt3
09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
shells raise ph like you want in a reef tank. you want to go the other direction for south american fish.

MKD
09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
agree with all above advices. if you can find any cycled filter that realllllly help but if you CAN'T do large WC with Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability. Good luck

stavro
09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
My friend you have beautifful fish...
BUT if you look better your fish you will see that something is going wrong....
So now the only way is to do every day big change of water!!!don't throw a lot food..and every day do the test!
Also i thing that it's necessary to take ammonia detox KENT...

disc-va-757
09-19-2011, 05:51 PM
thank you guys i have been doing water % changes each day and I did get a used filter sponge and bio chem stars. the tank is much more clear and the fish have been doing good.

at times some of the fish might charge at one another and give a nip/kiss on the sides. is that more to do with Territory space in the tank. also i have seen some wiggleing going on : ) pairs !!!!

also the tail fin of one when i got it has had some missing, like other fish have nibbled at it. since the guys tank had a mix of angles , discus, and other really small fish like neons ????? will it ever grow back ????

disc-va-757
09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
the shells hold a 8.2 ph which Dicsus need 8- 8.5 right ? which is why i went with the choice. any advice on sand or other bottoms. or what will help hold the ph level. the tank was holding a 6.5 - 7 with out them ???

zimmjeff
09-19-2011, 06:00 PM
you want 6.5 7 get rid of the shells.

strawberryblonde
09-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Nope, discus prefer soft water, lower pH. In the Amazon the pH is well below 7.0, but that's hard to maintain in home tanks and isn't necessary. Stable pH is much more important than a specific number. So do get the shells out soon.

fattubwhale
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Agree with jeff and Toni!!! If your were raising African Cichlids 8 - 8.5 would be great but we are raising and keeping Discus, Your tank is better off with out them! Plus, you have a perfect PH without the shells if it's holding at 6.5 - 7!

Scot
09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Hello Disc-va -757,
I'm a newbie too and if I understand your member name correctly your close to Richmond. If you need help pm me I'll be on here for awhile. I have good aged water, tests for everything and well established media as well if you need it. See thread Thank you all (my post) for pics of my discus just had some new arrivals yesterday.
Scot

disc-va-757
09-19-2011, 07:20 PM
cool thkx yes im in norfolk/ vabeach line

with tonight water change i will be adding sand and get ride of the shells .. i keep my 35g running bare bottom anyways so ill just drained that and put my 75 g tank water in in so they will adapt and while i reset up the tank with sand.

Scot
09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
you're about an hour and half from me. I'd like to help in anyway i can to make sure you make it through your water is probably different from mine have you tested your tap to see what your starting with?

Scot
09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey Norfolk,
Go to your notifications up at the top I sent you a PM.
Scot

disc-va-757
09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
there new home for awhile

iphone upload

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9461/disc351.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/disc351.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6231/disc352.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/disc352.jpg/)

zchauvin
09-20-2011, 07:51 PM
wow, I just saw this thread... Im so glad you did what you did. See the bright pretty color now?? Lol, good luck and keep it up. Keep reading too, I know everyone said this already I'm sure but you were going the wrong direction for discus at first.

disc-va-757
09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
well the PUKA shell turned out to be a MESS when i got the water to the bottom of the tank and started to scoop them out the waste in the tank that was hidden in the shell was very bad. Im very glad I got the tips to remove them, i have added a very Nice thin WHITE Play sand from Home Depot. the sand has all settled to the bottom and the tank is CLEAR as of this Morning. I put my little grommies in the tank and let them play today before i add my DISCUS !!!!!!! may water is soft and the ph is lowerer not everything on the tests are in the GOOD .. i cant wait to sit back and watch them in peace.

thank you all so MUCH.

walt3
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
good for you. glad its working out. :)putting in the hard work is worth it when you can lay back on a couch and just stare at them as i do. :)

MightyEvil
09-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I have home depot play sand sand in my 110 gallon right now and I wish I would have gone with pool filter sand. The home depot play sand is very thin, my returns blow the sand out of the way at all times. Now, this could be good for Discus because the sand is so thin and it is very hard for detritus to get under it, but without something moving the detritus toward the intake of a filter it can be an eye sore... WHICH SHOULD NOT BE THE PROBLEM FOR DISCUS OWNERS BECAUSE "MOST" OF THEM MAKE DAILY WATER CHANGES RIGHT? (sorry just trying to please all angles here). Pool filter sand is a little bigger and so the grains weight more and do not get pushed by water movement as easily as Home Depot play sand. Just something to consider before completely setting up your 75 gallon.

disc-va-757
09-21-2011, 08:16 PM
the tank is stocked and everyone is happy

i got 2 oplaline grourmi's to help my other small fish keep the tank clean.. intill my tank builds to get a busynose.ALSO added a 2 bulb T5 fixture with 6700k daylight and ColorMAX BULBS

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6480/tanksand.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/tanksand.jpg/)

walt3
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
if you have room behind the tank i would take a small hotdog roller and paint the back of the tank a color. that way the tank looks prettier and you dont see wires and such. imho. walt.

NewETown
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
The tank looks much better! If you don't mind me asking, where did you read/hear that Discus want such a high PH?

-Everett

walt3
09-26-2011, 11:10 PM
bad info for sure.

alleykat0498
09-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Richmond here, tank looks much better as well as the stock.