PDA

View Full Version : spooked discus with scrapped side! question?

walt3
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
while feeding my babies one spooked for no reason and must have rubbed against the wood in the tank. i had removed all the rocks earlier to avoid this situation. now he has a small section of abraided scales and maybe slightly deeper. acting normal and continues to eat fine. will these accidents usually heal them selves? i hate to see a wound on a fish for no good reason. i feel bad but cant see how i could have prevented it. :( as long as i continue my daily 1/3 water changes do you folks think this is a issue to worry about? thanks for the imput. walt. p.s. at least it wasnt one of my favorites....

Second Hand Pat
09-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Walt, If the skin is not broken a couple of WCs will help with the healing process. If it is broken others will have to advice.

Northstr31
09-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Add some aquarium salt to the tank, it will help him slime up a bit more to protect the wound...Anthony

walt3
09-18-2011, 08:55 AM
thanks.

Sean Buehrle
09-18-2011, 09:23 AM
When I was changing water on my pairs tank a month or so ago the male got pretty mad and went after the hose.
He hit the end of it and gave himself a good little gash on top of his head.

I got kinda worried considering every time I looked in the tank the fry were trying to bite the wound.

It healed in a few days, no marks whatsoever.
Just keep an eye on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walt3
09-18-2011, 09:55 AM
thank you. i can assure you i will be holding my breath with my nose to the glass every day,lol. :) it is a bummer as i feel my tank is really starting to look great and algae and such is dieing fast. water looks much clearer since adding suplimental ac 70 to my ehiem 2217. now i will be staring at this poor fish instead of the whole tank. thanks for the vote of confidence. walt.

DiscusBR
09-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Keep up the water quality and you will be surprised to see how fast the fish will heal.

walt3
09-18-2011, 01:13 PM
wow! you guys are right. it has only been since last evening around 10 p.m. and this morning it looks much better. so happy. :) i love doing my daily 1/3 change, which i know is less than some, but i think my water quality is pretty good. my friend is thinking about discus and i hope he takes the changes seriously. as many have said... if i could go back and do it again... i would have changed some things but as it stands i think there pretty happy. thanks for the advise. walt.

Second Hand Pat
09-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Cool to hear Walt :)

SeaDragon
09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
So crazy trying to baby proof a Discus tank! I've just taken out all real rocks for smoother hollow ones they can't kill themselves on when they have these panic attacks. Glad to hear the cut is healing up nicely :)

walt3
09-20-2011, 04:52 PM
its like it never happened! :)