PDA

View Full Version : Planted journal?

zchauvin
09-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Well after taking down my 75 discus biotope I'm going to re do it as a planted tank. I used pfs from before as my front and three bags Eco complete for the back half. This is only what I have now, the middle section where there are no rocks is where I will place driftwood. It will all be places so that it extends toward the sides and top leaving the rear and front of tank completely open. Once it is placed more rocks will be added to create a line between substrate and sand.
Covering the drift wood and rocks will be Fissidens or java moss and I have several 20+ leaf anubias nana petite in the mail to fill in the voids along rocks and driftwood front. Several needle leaf java fern plants will be tied to the driftwood to make a huge wall of fern so to speak, with only the holes the driftwoods branches create showing the back or tank. Along the back of the tank where the Eco complete is I will plant several stem plants and allow them to grow a thick wall 6" from back of tank to driftwood and also running the entire length of tank. Stock list is undecided but will probably consist of 60-70 dither type fish. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. I'll be receiving all driftwood and plants( other than stems) this week and will post updated pictures as soon as I get it setup.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

walt3
09-18-2011, 01:24 PM
looks like fun. i love the enless possibilities at the beginning of the journey. have fun. keep us updated. walt.:) i have a 75 as well. i will be watching...

zchauvin
09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll keep updating everything as soon as I start getting it in. Can't wait to start working on everything :)

Second Hand Pat
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I will be watching...should be fun :)

zchauvin
09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Yes indeed pat :) and depending on what I decide I may put discus in it... Really would like altums but I'm not sure. I don't want the fish to take away from the aquascape :)

Second Hand Pat
09-18-2011, 04:35 PM
I would do lots of research on the altums as they sound pretty tricky.

zchauvin
09-18-2011, 04:47 PM
I would do lots of research on the altums as they sound pretty tricky.

Well, I'm thinking they're on the same page as the discus. Just have there own issues I guess. I am attempting to replicate mr. Amanos tank but its so big they altums fit. I don't know how 6 huge fish would look in the setup I'm doing. All the plants and drift wood I bought are quite large and I'm going to try to get the size ratio right and would hate to throw it off with the fish.

zchauvin
09-18-2011, 04:48 PM
http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&q=amano%20personal%20tank&sa=N#i=8

walt3
09-18-2011, 10:12 PM
for scale i would keep the fish small as possible. good luck.

zchauvin
09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah walt, I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully if all goes well and I can get the look I'm aiming for you won't see many fish anyways.... I want to get the focal point to be the scape and then the fish be there as an additive so to speak. I added a few more larger stones and another bag of eco complete to give more depth and also bring the stem plants at very rear of tank( red plants that require more light) closer to the top. It goes from about 1 inch to 3.5 inches in slope. My plants will arrive by the 22nd according to usps and driftwood sometime. Still waiting to hear back from pc, hopefully its this week as I'd like to do the scape before adding water.