PDA

View Full Version : Dioing PP bath now: Add more???

DiscusBR
09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I am doing a second tretment with Potassium Permanganate in my 80g display tank right now. Trying to treat flukes. After about an hour of treatment, water is turning from pink to brown, which suggests that are too many organic stuff in the tank that neutralizes PP. In this case, should I redose? If so, when and with what dose (100%)? Or is it better to do a 50% water change and then redose? Can I leave PP in the tank overnight? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

jimg
09-20-2011, 08:22 PM
neutralize the rest with peroxide just add like a 1/4tsp at a time until clear,few minutes between doses. redo tomorrow.
I do not treat pp in a display tank or any tank with filters. You can try to wipe the tank down clean everything spotless and try again tomorrow. the number of fish, decor etc will dramatically effect pp. it will hit your bio hard and possibly wipe it out if it is done enough to kill flukes. it also has to be done every 3 -5 days.

DiscusBR
09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Thank you jimg. I took all decor from the tank (driftwood and plants). I left only two sponge filters and I have a canister filter running. I don't think I could have cleaned the tank more than I did (since yesterday, full wipes and 3 water changes, after treating water with dechlorinator instead of Prime). I did PP treatment once and it did not affect my biological filtration. If you are right that PP will work only when it is so effective that it kills the bio, then I am not sure it is the best option. I might get rid of the nasties, but then my fish will die in an uncycled tank. It seems to me that once you get flukes in a display tank, you will never get rid if it :(

jimg
09-20-2011, 08:45 PM
it seems you can never clean it enough! that is why I take them a few at a time and put them in other tanks and sterilize the previous tanks and wipe out filters. you can get most of them with the way your trying but in a few months they will be back again. I use flubendazole with dmso after pp and keep rotating tanks. you can try prazi powder for a few weeks sometimes it still works.

DiscusBR
09-20-2011, 08:51 PM
That sounds like a full time job :) I will try prazi later. Will it also afect the bio or less so than PP? What is dmso?

Thanks again

jimg
09-20-2011, 08:58 PM
prazi will not effect the bio. just mix the powder with some water and shake the livin' daylights out of it! then add to tank it will seem to not dissolve but it does. replace as needed with wc's.
prazi is the safest but don't always kill all flukes, I like it for fry. I have had it cure flukes in one batch of juveniles. I think the trick is 3 weeks 1/4tsp per 20.
dmso is a solvent. it helps carrie the meds into the bloodstream and also helps dissolve meds

yim11
09-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Thank you jimg. I took all decor from the tank (driftwood and plants). I left only two sponge filters and I have a canister filter running. I don't think I could have cleaned the tank more than I did (since yesterday, full wipes and 3 water changes, after treating water with dechlorinator instead of Prime). I did PP treatment once and it did not affect my biological filtration. If you are right that PP will work only when it is so effective that it kills the bio, then I am not sure it is the best option. I might get rid of the nasties, but then my fish will die in an uncycled tank. It seems to me that once you get flukes in a display tank, you will never get rid if it :(

Pretty close...

Anything you take out before treatment and put back in after treatment is probably carrying flukes eggs at the least and flukes at best. So you may reinfect the tank even if you eradicated everything with the current PP treatment.

You also need to disinfect all cleaning equipment, nets, etc.

seanyuki
09-20-2011, 10:41 PM
na minha opinião .......The first 3 days I will treat the fish with 2ppm PP to clear away any external parasite, fungul or bacterial that on or under the slim..............as mentioned above either get brand new equipments(parasite free) for the tank or bleach the old equipments thoughtfully.

DiscusBR
09-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Thank you everyone. I disinfected equipment, plants and driftwood with a stong dose of PP while the treatment was going on in the main tank. I will not be able to do it for two more days due to work schedule. So it might not work.

Even though I will most likely fail to kill all the nasties in the display tank, do you recommend treating the fish in a hospital tank and then putting them back in the display tank? I know they would be attacked by flukes again, but would that help in any way?

lipadj46
09-21-2011, 01:57 PM
in theory (if I'm wrong someone will correct me) if they don't have any hosts the flukes would eventually die so if you left the display tank empty for a few weeks the flukes should be dead. You would need to still feed your bacteria with ammonia or rotten fish food etc.

DiscusBR
09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
in theory (if I'm wrong someone will correct me) if they don't have any hosts the flukes would eventually die so if you left the display tank empty for a few weeks the flukes should be dead. You would need to still feed your bacteria with ammonia or rotten fish food etc.

My hospital tank has only 28 gallons, so it is not enought to host my 7 wild discus. I was thinking about treating two discus at a time. I don´t have space or money (or moral authority with my wife:)) to buy a bigger tank so that I could fully disinfect the main tank.

jimg
09-21-2011, 05:18 PM
just go with the prazi if you cannot get flubendazole. also flukes have been know to shut down and hibernate for a long time (months) with no host.

lipadj46
09-21-2011, 09:53 PM
nasty little things

Sean Buehrle
09-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Best bet would be to watch craigslist and get a used 55 to place them in and treat. Put them in the 27 for a few hours while you disinfect the 55 and do it again.
It could be done with big waterchanges.

Totally clean and bleach your display while thats going on. You would have plenty of time after work to do it.

Like Jim said you gotta go from clean tank to clean tank every time, otherwise it's just a waste of time and effort.

Just gotta bite the bullet.