PDA

View Full Version : Bullying at feeding time

jsweeten
09-23-2011, 07:30 PM
I get the whole pecking order thing, but boy at feeding time it really gets amped up. I have 5 discus, two are about 4-4 1/2" and three are in the 3-3 1/2" range. The small ones get in there at feeding time but get quickly chased away by the Alenquer Cross who's the largest. I watch them and feel like the small ones only get two or three bites of food and then whatever they can pick off the bottom. I worry that this could cause the smaller ones to be stunted. Am I worrying needlessly? Thanks

Jill

walt3
09-25-2011, 12:11 AM
i think that is a good possibility. :( i made sure i purchased 6 fish at the same time and of the same size to try to avoid that kind of drama. they all are growing at the same rate which is good. i also try to watch the 6 eat and offer food when i know they each are looking. if one looks like its getting more i wait for it to swim away a bit and give more food to the others as needed. i look at bellies and make sure there all fat after feeding time. :)

Chillinfish
09-25-2011, 12:59 AM
I have a big male discus that gets pushy during feeding time as well...i just wait till he gorges himself, and get some more food for the rest of the discus. I would not worry unless they get to the point of not eating from too much harassment.

Andrew