PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for my first discus

rebus20
09-24-2011, 11:18 AM
I just upgraded from a 29gal tank to a 60gal. I had 2 angelfish and a pleco in my old tank that I have moved to the new one(had the angels for about 2 years). I planned on getting 1 more angel, 1-2 cory cats and 3 discus. Would that be sufficient for the 60gal or would I be under or overstocked?
I am going to wait about 3 weeks before getting the discus. I am waiting on a piece of driftwood to come in that I ordered from a sponsor here. I want to get it situated and a few live plants going before getting the discus. I am going to get the angel and corys today so I can qt them in my old tank till I get the discus then qt them for a few weeks too.

Flutter
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Cories are schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of at least 3 however I would recommend at least 6.

walt3
09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
the discus will be better off in a group of 5 or 6. more is better. with a good filter and proper water changes you could make it work. 6 corys would be better and the angels might be in the way. the discus are cooler fish anyway and youve already done the angel thing so why not give the discus more room and sell the angels.:) unless there altums, there dime a dozen. imho. lol. :)

Skip
09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
put your discus in the 29 for about 8 weeks.. make sure they don't have any issues BEFORE you add them to you tank..

rebus20
09-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I can't get rid of the angels. I have had them for 2 years and am rather attached to them. I may hold off and just keep the 2 and get a few extra Corey's. What are some other suggestions? I am going to have to start with 3 discus because of price. I may gets few more later.i

Skip
09-24-2011, 03:13 PM
3 discus won't be happy. don't be suprised.. if they do a lot of hiding and are skittish.. its because you only have 3 and you need at least 6.. the more they have the more they are happy...

just answering your question after you get your discus.. :)

rebus20
09-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Went and picked up 3 corys today. I may get a few more later but hte pet store had altum angels for $25. I may end up going back and getting one of those too.

disc-va-757
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
make sure your filter system has been up and running for a few weeks before you add the DISCUS. unless you have a used filter system. I am haveing to do a % water change everyday because my filter was brand new and didnt have any bacteria build up and the ammonia builds up fast with brand new filters and clouds up the water ..water % changes help keep the fish save and in clean water. its alot of work the route i went..

walt3
09-24-2011, 11:39 PM
a fully cycled tank is a requirement if you like things smooth as possible. if not brace for the drama! :) good luck. walt.

rebus20
09-25-2011, 10:36 AM
It has been up and running about 3 weeks now. I put some of the water from my old tank into the new one to help. The 2 angels and pleco have been in there for a week and a half with no issues. I think I may go ahead and order some and keep them in my quarantine tank till I get my driftwood set up.

Skip
09-25-2011, 11:19 AM
bacterial levels.. stabilize to the level in the tank.. when you add more bio-load.. the tank my cycle again.. just because 3 fish are ok.. when you double the load, you will have to watch the levels..

walt3
09-25-2011, 01:19 PM
send pics!