http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/230/P1010050.jpg
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/230/P1010052.jpg
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/230/p1010056.jpg

zchauvin
09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Very pretty fish you have there pat :)

Darrell Ward
09-24-2011, 09:39 PM
They still look young, but look nice. The red spots are desirable. The blue color will intensify as the get older. Here is a picture of one I grew out from a couple of years ago. An example of how the blue color develops. They are a cool strain.

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks Zach :)

Yes Darrell, definitely still young and growing nicely in the 230. These guys were the med/large John was selling in the $45 group in the April time frame. You think they will acquire more of the green/blue in the body? Seem to hints of that in the second picture. Beautiful adult you have there. :)

Darrell Ward
09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Absolutely. The fish from my group looked exactly like yours when young. That's the reason I showed you that picture, so you can envision what they will look like when fully mature.

zchauvin
09-24-2011, 11:49 PM
No problem pat, I plan to get more fish this new season :) do you guys think I could fit 6 in a 40 gallon tall/breeder?? I would be doing 50% wc eod. My plan is to get 6 wilds and keep the tank bb and once they pair up put into 29g. I have the 75 planted(getting there) and a mini s planted so I want a bb for very good quality discus. Also I'd be using ro....No intention of hijacking your thread pat :) just figured I'd throw that out there while looking at the beautiful wilds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 11:58 PM
I think a 40 breeder for 6 wild adult discus is a bit small. Wilds like their space a bit more than domestics (and this is small for them too). Remember also that a wild/wild pairing is still a rather rare event. Also royal discus tend to be male. Zach, I would give this some more thought. :)

Darrell Ward
09-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Hey Zach, I would find a 55 gal. some where for 6 fish. 55's can be bought for cheap, and make pretty good discus tanks. I have raised many discus in the past in 55s.

zchauvin
09-25-2011, 12:18 AM
thanks darrell and pat.. I figured it to be a tad small but Im getting limited on space in my bedroom lol. Not to mention I'm trying to stay small so that I don't have to store that much ro/di. Ill try to do some convincing and see what happens. Id love to have some wild discus again but the right way. I am compelled by the idea but trying to get it into reality while living at home is a bit of a pita..

zchauvin
09-25-2011, 12:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHzP7mh1NwY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xqkhrjoJbk&feature=related
My idea:)

Second Hand Pat
09-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Zach, living at home as a student is ideal for you ATM. Living apart is expensive. In the second video one of the fish is a tefe. Not should about the other but a beauty. Very nice fish in the first video. Have you considered what 6 royal alenquers are going to run you?

zchauvin
09-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Zach, living at home as a student is ideal for you ATM. Living apart is expensive. In the second video one of the fish is a tefe. Not should about the other but a beauty. Very nice fish in the first video. Have you considered what 6 royal alenquers are going to run you?

Lol yes, around 2000... It won't necessarily be royal alenquers because of that fact nor would I purchase all at once. I just want to build up a collection of the different species. Some reds, rsg perhaps. Also the heckels on one of hekdiscus videos really got my attention. He had some with yellow on them. Just different things you don't see everyday.

Darrell Ward
09-25-2011, 12:23 PM
I try to never buy expensive fish. Yeah, I'm cheap. If you keep a lookout during the wilds season, often you can find good buys. If you see good looking fish that a dealer has had for a month or more, often you can buy the whole group at a reduced rate, as long as you don't insult the seller with a ridiculously lowball offer.

zchauvin
09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Same here, I don't have tons of money especially for fish but I know different type that are seldom seen are more often than not either rare, expensive, or both.

kent1963
09-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Beautiful fish Pat! I can't believe these were $45, Wow! How big were they when you purchased them? Kent

Second Hand Pat
09-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Kent, I would say they ranged between 4 and 5 inches so definitely were not small. Just nice sub-adult size.

Darrell Ward
09-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi Kent, I would say they ranged between 4 and 5 inches so definitely were not small. Just nice sub-adult size.

I like to get fish that size, you can watch the changes they go through to maturity.

Second Hand Pat
09-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Darrell, I sort of eye balled them today and seems like they have generally grown about a rough inch or so. I'm guessing the larger ones (presuming males) will top out at about 7 inches? I feed these guys about four times a day.

Darrell Ward
09-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Yeah, those Tefes get pretty big. I've grew them 7" easy in the past, and I don't feed as much as you do. I was sorta disappointed with the last sub adult Tefes I got, as several of the batch haven't grown all that big, and others have just shot by them.

richgrenfell
09-26-2011, 02:25 AM
John always has such nice fish. Last season he had 3-4 inch Heckles for $25 a pop! I didn't see the post till the next day and they were gone!

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Darrell, definitely have two sizes with this batch but figured the sizes were gender related.

Rich, I remember those heckels. Everyone was all over them. They looked nice too.

richgrenfell
09-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Darrell, definitely have two sizes with this batch but figured the sizes were gender related.

Rich, I remember those heckels. Everyone was all over them. They looked nice too.

Yeah well i'll be waiting this time, got a wad of cash stashed away too!

OwNz
09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
stunning fish think i will have to get some wilds soon !!

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Me too Rich, want to add a couple of nicely spotted tefes to the 230 and see if I can find a couple wilds which would be compatible to go with Mark's Cuipeau F1s once they are grown out.

richgrenfell
09-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Me too Rich, want to add a couple of nicely spotted tefes to the 230 and see if I can find a couple wilds which would be compatible to go with Mark's Cuipeau F1s once they are grown out.

Heckles are my absolute favorite fish period.
Remember the solid blue fish with the heckle bar from years ago? I'd like to try and make those again!

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2011, 05:53 PM
I consider myself too much of a newbie for Heckels and have only been here about a year now. I do recall the one power blue heckel John had. It was something.

pcsb23
09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Pat, some very nice looking tefes here - looks like you are doing a good job with them.

Darrell Ward
09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I've always heard the blue on those Heckels fade over time in captivity. Personally, I was never willing to give $200 for one to find out. LOL!

richgrenfell
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
it was actually a crossed fish I was referring to. Back in the late 80's or early 90's there were some solid blue fish with a thick center bar. If i'm not mistaken they were coming from Bernd Degen in Germany. I do believe the cross was Heckle X Cobalt. I have been scanning the net and my old magazines for a photo, but can't seem to find one.

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2011, 08:36 PM
stunning fish think i will have to get some wilds soon !!

Thanks OwNz :)

I've always heard the blue on those Heckels fade over time in captivity. Personally, I was never willing to give $200 for one to find out. LOL!

Darrell, you have some heckel growouts, are they maintaining their color.

Pat, some very nice looking tefes here - looks like you are doing a good job with them.

Thanks Paul, I had a rough start with these guys but now everyone is healthy, growing and eating like pigs.

it was actually a crossed fish I was referring to. Back in the late 80's or early 90's there were some solid blue fish with a thick center bar. If i'm not mistaken they were coming from Bernd Degen in Germany. I do believe the cross was Heckle X Cobalt. I have been scanning the net and my old magazines for a photo, but can't seem to find one.

Rich, would love to see a pic if you can find one

Discus Origins
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I consider myself too much of a newbie for Heckels and have only been here about a year now. I do recall the one power blue heckel John had. It was something.

Its in my tank now Pat ;)

Darrell you are right....the solid blue on the Nhamunda Heckels do fade over time, I spent $2000 to find out lol. But even with the solid blue gone, they are still the bluest Heckels out there and my favorite. Now if I can get them to pair up that be something!

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Mark, that sure is a beautiful fish. Glad to hear it is in such good hands and of course the best of luck with getting these guys to spawn :grin: Any pictures of these guys?

Discus Origins
09-26-2011, 09:25 PM
This was the group after QT.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?87372-Nhamunda-Heckels-New-Group

Second Hand Pat
09-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Totally gorgeous Mark.

Darrell Ward
09-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Pat, my fish are just plain old Rio Negros I think, but still nice fish IMO. Their colors have never faded. The blue Nhamunda Heckels are the ones that supposedly fade. I love the Heckels, you would do fine with them. They are no more difficult than any other wild once they fully settle in.

gabloo
09-27-2011, 04:34 AM
Not trying to steal this treat but can u explain how did u determine whether these discus are young or not?

They still look young, but look nice. The red spots are desirable. The blue color will intensify as the get older. Here is a picture of one I grew out from a couple of years ago. An example of how the blue color develops. They are a cool strain.

Darrell Ward
09-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Not trying to steal this treat but can u explain how did u determine whether these discus are young or not?

Size and color. Fully mature fish will also develop a pattern on the tail fin, while the tail on the younger fish will be clear. Note the differences in this fish... The first picture is the fully mature Tefe Green. The second picture is from 9 months before.

Second Hand Pat
09-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Darrell, great pictures. I see I have a lot to look forward too and another good six months to a year for full maturity.