PDA

View Full Version : German Blue Rams with fry

TURQ64
09-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Well, all of the Rams and Discus in a wild tank have been feuding. The outcome? only one female Ram left alive. Meanwhile, back in breeder's row, my last pair of Rams just spawned a huge batch of youngin's,so..I'll probably grow this batch out, as I am running out of Rams myself...On the road to Portland this week, but I'll try for a video post next week when I return home...Gary

Second Hand Pat
09-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Gary, guess it is a foregone conclusion as to who will win in a ram/discus feud. Does this trip conclude your transaction on your ship?

strawberryblonde
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Awwwww, I just had the same problem in my main tank Gary. I had one pair of youngish rams in the tank and one day my spawning pair of discus took a sudden dislike to them. Result? The male died of injuries the next day and the female got smart and ran off to swim with my cardinals. She's still hanging in there, but I need to get her a new mate and into a tank of her own pronto.

OwNz
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
any pictures of the batch of young ? :D

Larry Bugg
09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Next to Discus, Rams are my favorite fish. They have such great personality! The are very tenacious when it comes to their fry.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?84952-Wild-Uatuma-Blue-vs-GBR-Does-size-really-matter

TURQ64
09-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Next to Discus, Rams are my favorite fish. They have such great personality! The are very tenacious when it comes to their fry.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?84952-Wild-Uatuma-Blue-vs-GBR-Does-size-really-matter

Me too. I've always held that they are the perfect cichlid to own...all points; color, vigor, personality, lifestyle....
I'll be out of town at least a week, but there'll still be many that make it...
I took a snapshot at three days; I'll post with a current photo when I return next week.
Toni, yep, it was gettin' a bit rough in there..I'll rescue the female next week, and put her in with the pair in the back room..
Pat; yep, this will be the last of the ship's adventures for myself and crew..the driver's still not here(Portland) with it!..Sometime today, then it's offload, and start working..

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Gary, must be partly a sad trip for you. You and crew should have a grand party before parting.

TURQ64
09-27-2011, 10:04 AM
yep, it's sad, and the landlubber's that bought her are just killin us. The party starts today..New crew shirts for the occasion, and we left four shot glasses in her cupboards before she left Kentucky....still a pyrate's life for me,eh?

TURQ64
10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, back from the summer-long road trip, and beginning the restore on my fish..A couple photo's of the new Ram clutch

Here's mom and the fry at two days free swimming...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0850.jpg

here they are with dad at ten days....

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0853.jpg

unfortunately, while I was gone last week, mom got a nasty wound on her forehead, and she looks septicemic now..attention later today, as I hate to medicate with all the fry, or disrupt the tank...

Maria Ashton
10-07-2011, 02:05 PM
oh dear - will it kill the fry? My rams have spawned but its a community tank, they became very aggressive towards the discus and chased them off. Today all the eggs are gone from the leaf they were on, dont know if they hatched and were eaten or were just eaten, or maybe there are fry in the tank but I doubt it. I am still battling problems and half of the fish are trying to breed, I guess that at least the water is right. What filtration do you use for fry?

TURQ64
10-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm a dye'd in the wool user of foam sponge filtration. The German Blue Rams are in with a double glass mounted sponge that's an old Tetra brand. Now Hagen sells them as well as copies....They are really getting big; another photo soon....He's a good parent, so I'm not too worried..Still trying to save the mom...
In my shrimp tanks, where there are tinier things than fish, I use Lee's flat type sponge filters....

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Gary, I was hoping the mom had recovered. Sorry to hear she is not better.

TURQ64
10-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Actually, she's hanging tough; he tore one eye off her head, so all things considered, that she's still breathing is something....

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 09:33 AM
an update of sorts...The female didn't make it; too much trauma, I guess...The fry on the other hand, are doing bang-a-rang!....So, despite my best efforts to dodge the mail, looks like I'll be selling German Blue Rams in a month or two......It'll be cold here by then. Jeesh!

Second Hand Pat
10-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Aw, sorry about the mom but super news on the fry. I may be interested :)

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah, it's a bummer, for sure, but..there's one female sibling of her in the F1 tank, so after these are off and the tank cleared, I'll put her in with the male..Cleared out a couple of 30's for the fry to move to next....

Stag
10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
That's awesome "El Capitan" keep us posted.

I got a GBR and a Golden ram paired off now. Did you have to use RO water for the eggs to fert?

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Have to? I don't know, but they like really acidic, warm water. In the good 'ole 'wild', they pretty much like in what amounts to puddles,they really soak up the heat!..I keep 'em near 90+.... I'm almost totally RO due to liquid granite conditions. So it's all I have, really...

Stag
10-09-2011, 01:21 PM
liquid granite that stuff will getcha! I'm going to put them in a small breeding tank to drop eggs in then pull the parents once I got some wigglers.

I have had my rams in my discus tank and have gotten a few batched laid in my BB... but the discus always eat the eggs before I can find out if they were able to fertilize.

(I got a Golden Ram female and GBR male paired off, well see what they make)

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
These guys put out two huge spawns when they were in with Heckel's, but the cocky little buggars paraded the young right past the Heckels..Not too smart, IMO!

Maria Ashton
10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
laugh out loud, I do find Rams are quite ballsy fish. Mine have laid eggs yet again in the community tank, as have the discus, the rest of the tank's occupants are being chased off and pushed into a corner of the tank. I am thinking I need to put each pair in breeder tanks so they get it out of their system....

TURQ64
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
So far, my Discus, and the Rams themselves, have killed off 2 dozen adult Rams since maybe June....Down to two adults, so this spawn was timely for me. I don't like being out of Rams....

TURQ64
10-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Double bummer...The male Ram became a jumper last nite, I think..screen top, slight gap for heater,airline, but he's not in the tank, or on the floor,but..with five small Chihuahua mixes guarding the floor, he may have been a seafood snack..(the buggar's all drink out of my sumps as it is!)..no worries on breeding Rams for a while...

Second Hand Pat
10-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Bummer Gary...understand the fry grow fast. Maybe some pairs from them?

TURQ64
10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
yeah, that's my best optomism now...they'll be F2, but that's o.k. by me

TURQ64
10-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Update!...I crawled around the floor with a flashlight looking under my racks..what a treat; two shed snakeskins, a couple of old, dried out gecko's, and a bunch of live frogs!...(gotta love fall, everything wants to move in the house)..no dead fish, so he musta became Chicamunga food (the 5 chi's)

TURQ64
10-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Man, no clue what transpired,but..this morning, there were about 300 nice fry swimming at feeding, and three hours later, after returning from a trip to pick up some equipment, there's less than 50 left..no sign of anything wrong in the water, and they are on a battery of six tanks..no problems in any of the others....bummer

Stag
10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear it.

Is there any way to tell if an ram egg is getting fertilized(maybe color, size)? My pair should drop eggs again in about a week.

Second Hand Pat
10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
That is a bummer. I lost a couple in the 230. No clue why. Healthy, eating one minute...next dead. Water parameters and fish all good.

TURQ64
10-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Same here, no clue ..I expect to see 'em all demised when I turn the lights on in an hour...Reallyu a mystery, hardly ever lose fry in numbers....

Stag
10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Any update Captain Jack?

TURQ64
10-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Looks like around fifty still thriving..I cleaned out the tank, fed 'em BBS, and now we'll see how the day goes..Busy on fishroom, but might strip and set up a 20 to swap them back and forth 'till the mystery is solved....Also, if I need to treat 'em, I won't be affecting my Discus pairs on the same line...

Stag
10-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Sounds like you got a plan. We'll keep your fish in our prayers :D

TURQ64
12-31-2011, 05:51 PM
I hadn't thought about these guys for a while, so it's update time..During fishroom construction, a bacterial outbreak wiped these guys out pretty much; less than a dozen survived..Fast forward to today, and I see that a pair of these F2's have spawned in the corner of a 75 I moved them all into..photo's later, as it's a dark spot in the fishroom..mebbee F3's soon...young breeder's,eh?