PDA

View Full Version : ??? on why to paint both ends of tank???

Coffee1stLife2nd
09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
not sure where to post this and ive tried to look up answer but only seem to find about colors.. which has also been helpful...BUT why do people paint the ends I understand the bottom and back....Thanks...
Tina

walt3
09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
i think they do it for a more secure feeling for the fish. that way they are not as spooked by someone walking by the tank. i actually painted my back and left side because that side is close to a wall and viewing is not possible there. i view my tank through the front and right side. the side view looks better seeing a painted opposite side as the background for wood and plants as opposed to wires or the basement wall color. i have always painted with a sense that it eliminates the possibility of fish seeing things that may bother them. my tank could be viewed from the rear but thats a laundry room so kinda crazy. mine is sitting about 55 inches off the ground so not as much as an issuewith low tanks but discus are not great fish to have in a super high traffic area where kids and lots of fast things running by for example. imho. walt.

walt3
09-25-2011, 11:47 PM
just saw your signature about coffee!:) i have a sticker on my van that says...instant carpenter just add coffee. i think we think alike... :) coffee is love.

REC
09-26-2011, 11:08 AM
First it looks much better. Second it eliminates the reflection that a bare bottom gives which could freak skittish discus out and without the reflection it makes it easier for the discus to find the food that rest on the bottom.

Skip
09-26-2011, 02:08 PM
First it looks much better. Second it eliminates the reflection that a bare bottom gives which could freak skittish discus out and without the reflection it makes it easier for the discus to find the food that rest on the bottom.
i think OP was asking about SIDES of tanks.. not the bottom..

back to op..

i think its just preference.. some like the fish to focus on inside their tank and not be distracted by neighoubors.. but some live them unpainted/covered on all sides.. (not sure about bottoms) to make PAIRS bond tighter.. ie. hans

REC
09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
i think OP was asking about SIDES of tanks.. not the bottom..

back to op..

i think its just preference.. some like the fish to focus on inside their tank and not be distracted by neighoubors.. but some live them unpainted/covered on all sides.. (not sure about bottoms) to make PAIRS bond tighter.. ie. hans

Lol my bad.......... I've always done the sides in vinyl for a sense of security for the fish. I've kept many species of large arowana'a and it did wonders for making them less jumpy and skittish. Discus are also very skittish so it will add to there sense of security being that they only have to worry about whats in front of them. I've also noticed that it takes advantage of what ever lighting system you use and makes for a brighter tank without letting outside lights effect the color of lighting inside the tank or in which your fish display. Here is the pic of the vinyl on the side of my 300g.

Skip
09-26-2011, 03:00 PM
i probably should do something with sides.. my 75g is in living room with my larger fish.. and my 46" LED LCD HDTV.. can freak them out sometimes.. LOL

Coffee1stLife2nd
09-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info... NOW i will have to look up vinyl...LOL...good thing my tank isnt set up yet...with all the new info and ideas i keep getting i will end up doing research for years and still just be looking at a empty tank...lol...

Doc_Polit
09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Car window tint is another option as opposed to paint. "Limo black" is really nice and fairly straight forward to apply.

Coffee1stLife2nd
09-26-2011, 04:48 PM
has any1 noticed if their tanks look larger or smaller with both ends covered???

David_315
09-27-2011, 02:38 AM
I have been using black cloth from the fabric store

Doc_Polit
09-29-2011, 02:49 PM
has any1 noticed if their tanks look larger or smaller with both ends covered???

I haven't really noticed a difference. Several friends insist that the painted sides give the tank "depth".

It likely breaks down to personal preference.