PDA

View Full Version : ??? plz explain ??

Coffee1stLife2nd
09-27-2011, 02:56 AM
I keep seeing F1 ,F4 and so on..could some1 explain what that is..i take it has something to do with wildness??? thanks a bunch...
Tina

pcsb23
09-27-2011, 04:10 AM
It's a term used in genetics to describe the relationship to the parental line ... applies equally to domestic as well as wild caught.

The parents are referred to as P (I have seen F0 but ...), their first generation of young are referred to as F1. The F stands for filial. If the F1 generation breeds then these are referred to F2 and so on ...

Just about the limits of my knowledge on genetics ;)

David_315
09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Thank you I did not know that

steakman
09-27-2011, 10:21 AM
These term could be interpreted very different at time.

- Wild parents=F0

- Their Children's Fry=F1

- Their Grand Children's Fry=F2, and so on. The bigger the F number, the more color and the genetic make up would be lessen.

These fry come down as a straight line in the family ... so the fry you buy from Petsmart, Petco ... etc are, might as well be F101, if they keep them breeding from the same line.

The only thing that I am wondering, and have not seen it so far is the .5 thing. Let say if one of the F1 parent breed with his or her own child, would they be called F1.5 ??? :D

But, if you have a fry F3, or whatever from Kenny's paired up with another strain let say a fry F4 fron Han's, then they can call those fry as F1 as well.

Different strain, different origin, different water paired up, then the number would be started all over again.

Hope it'll help

Coffee1stLife2nd
09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
that is great...Thank You...