PDA

View Full Version : Painted Background

Bud Smith
09-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Iam tired of messing with backgrounds and I want to paint my tank back ground but I will need to do it with it full of water and fish
Has anyone done that? will it work and if so what paint do I use?

walt3
09-29-2011, 09:32 PM
super easy! small hotdog roller with paint of your choice. hair dryer to speed up drying time andrecoat as many times as needed to get good solid coverage. have fun. its very easy as the rollers are not much bigger than a roll of quarters or 50 cent pieces. they can usually get behing a tank no problem. you may need to screw it onto a paint pole if you cant reach all the way. :)

richardnuss
09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Look for a water-based enamel type product - lower in solvents and VOC's. Ideally get something that is solvent free. Obviously make sure that no paint gets in the water, the emulsifiers and preservatives are no good for fish!

I used to work in the paint industry, and these products are freely available at most stores.

jlcoop277
09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I did it with the normal latex house paint, it made it super easy to peel off when i wanted to change colors.

Skip
09-30-2011, 01:21 PM
yep.. latex indoor from walmart. with little roller less then 3 dollars with tray

Bud Smith
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I guess my concern was if the paint would bubble or not apply properly with water already in the tank - I have painted 4 or 5 tanks empty but never full of water
Looks like Iam good to go

REC
09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Go to any local sign company and buy 24"wide x how ever many feet that you need of 3M vinyl. Its cheap and fairly simple to install and comes in tons of colors. Spray the back side of the tank with water remove backing from vinyl then stick it to the tank. Then take a credit card etc. and push out the water(trapped bubbles). Total install time maybe 10 min.