PDA

View Full Version : been a long-time lurker, finally thinking about just getting discus for first time

LazyBones
09-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Hey there:

I've been doing plecos/catfish for many years now. Spawned several types of cichlids over the years but got rid of them to give priority of the tanks to the plecos/catfish I have kept.

Now that I've decided to completely downsize the number of tanks/bottom dwellers are on their way out and I am keeping 2-3 tanks and converting them into showpiece tanks.

I am seriously considering keeping a wild strain of discus maybe 4-6 if they don't pair off but if they do I'll just keep the pair , yet have not decided on which wild ones I want to give a go with.

The tankmates will be probably L134s and L183s which I already have decided to keep. I will be spiltting the plecos into different tanks. I have too big of a colony of L134s and need to spilt them up.

One tank is not a possiblity for any of my plecos to go into its clown loach tank. Nothing but clown loaches and congo tetras.
The other tank is too cool for discus at 78 degrees, it will be for the Jaguar catfish and some L134s and L183s

This discus tank will have maybe 8 adult L134s and 3-4 of L183s. Will have branchy driftwood and some floating plants for feel of security as well as some hardy plants.

Any thoughts/feedbacks?

discuspaul
09-30-2011, 06:11 PM
What size tank will you be keeping your plecos and discus together in, and what is the current size of those plecos ?
This MAY be a factor to reckon with.
Many plecos are compatible with discus, particularly BNP's, but I would suggest you perhaps do a little research as to whether L134s and L183s are fully compatible.
I've not kept plecos with discus, but I understand a little caution may be required regarding some plecos which may be more spirited, and if of a large size, may tend to stress your wilds.
I have had problems keeping certain catfish/algae eaters with discus, e.g. SAE's and Oto cats, which when larger and older, get lazy as to feeding, and some even take a liking to discus' slime coats. Just a caution before you spend some big $ on wilds.

LazyBones
09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
The L134s and the L183s are teeny boppers compared to those kings of the aquarium and won't be a threat to the discus. The max size of both species will be at 3.5''-4'' I know L134s can be kept with discus as I've seen and heard of people keeping them fine with discus, the L183 is in the same family as BNS and I believe breeders have better success breeding them in warmer temperature at the 80's range

regarding BNs and I do not allow any BN's in my tanks anymore. They will absolutely not be in any of my tanks as long as I live. It took me forever to get rid of them.

I am thinking of keeping a 75g tank for the discus and the L134s/183s. Maybe will end up putting the L183s completely to another tank not this tank though.

Will the wilds benefit from a school of larger tetras or something like roseline sharks so they're not so skittish and I'm not thinking about getting the wilds, but the F1s that has been tank bred?

discuspaul
09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
That's great to hear re: your plecos - then I expect they won't be any problem.
A 75 gallon will be great for keeping 6 or so discus, along with a reasonable number of other fish, e.g. some of your plecos.
Probably a good idea to house your L183s in another tank, just for the sake of total numbers of fish you'll be keeping in that 75.
And getting the F1s is a good idea too, just to get your feet wet with discus.
As far as tetras for tankmates are concerned, yes, a number of varieties would be just fine with the F1s. You have a number of strains to choose from: e.g. Cardinals, Rummynoses, Lemons, Black Neons, and so on.
Best of luck to you.

LazyBones
09-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks!

walt3
10-01-2011, 12:50 PM
keeping discus might not be for you considering your screen name! lol., :) just kidding. good luck. walt.

LazyBones
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Lol, walt, that made me laugh- yeah it took me what? 4 years before saying something on this forum, lazybones in some areas indeed.

walt3
10-01-2011, 09:54 PM
this is my 75 discus. it really looks small to me already. :( i have 6 discus. around 4 inches now, 3 brush nose plecos, 9 sterbai cories, 12 lemon tetras, 25 cardinal - neon mix, 1 otto and some amano shrimp that mostly hid, i can imagine why, but i do see them coming out to claim there share of live black worms. :) i wish i still had my 90 gallon.:( have 69293fun! walt

CajunAg
10-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I know apistomaster keeps and breed L134s, among others, and keeps them with his wild discus. Perhaps send him a PM, he is very knowledgeable both on keeping plecos and wild discus.