PDA

View Full Version : WIld discus mixed with domesticated discus feeding question

Aznman1
10-03-2011, 06:09 PM
First of all has anyone had any luck with getting wilds to eat flake or granules? My second question is I have two wilds currently in a tank with two domestics and I can't get any of them to eat anything except live blackworms. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I would like to get them on something such as granules which will enhance their color and growth. Please and thank you

TURQ64
10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
My wilds eat everything; blackworms three ways, flakes (ocean nutrition,beefheart,spirolina), pellets (tetrabits,NLS,earthworm and spiro sticks), and live red worms..I just feed it; eventually they clean their tanks...

Aznman1
10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow thats amazing Turq64 I feel like I will never be able to get them to eat granules or flakes. Its kinda discouraging :/ Any tips?

hedut
10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I mix my 3 wild with some domestic and my heckels eat anything that I feed them (BH mix, tetra bit, flake, FBW and Frozen black worm)

TURQ64
10-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Like Hendri also says, they'll eat anything we feed 'em..just conditioning, no tricks..stop with what they will eat, and start with what they don't..once they like that, move to another..No mystery, they are fish, we just ruin 'em for scavenging...

hedut
10-03-2011, 07:52 PM
start less worms and introduce them new food :), I never want to feed my fish with live food :), they to risky and fish to expensive;);) but this just me.

Discus Origins
10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Start their first meal off with some flakes/granules, it's when they are hungriest. Don't give them anything for a few hours and then feed them the worms. Eventually they will start picking at the food.

Aznman1
10-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys so basically I should just stop feeding worms and start throwing in granules every feeding until they eat it? Thanks for the help so far guys!

Aznman1
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I just ordered a pound of Beefheart flakes from angels plus. Hopefully they will eat it up!

YSS
10-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I have 12 wilds and some started eating flakes and granules fairly quickly, but some took several months before they started eating flakes and granules/pellets.

TURQ64
10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys so basically I should just stop feeding worms and start throwing in granules every feeding until they eat it? Thanks for the help so far guys!

That's pretty much the tactic for all Discus (and most warm water tropicals)....they won't allow themselves to starve when they're healthy. Some of mine were reluctant to eat sticks, but eventually they went for them...