PDA

View Full Version : Eating the fertile eggs right as there about to be wigglers

Eclipes
10-08-2011, 03:19 PM
this is the 3rd spawn in the row you can see eyes on the eggs an as soon as 3rd day comes around i always wake up an there all aten today i woke up with about 5 fertile eggs left so i put a net over it to see when there free swimming if parents will still eat them?

does anyone elsa have this problem what do you do to prevent it? what kind of netting do you guys use?

will they eat them when they start free swimming?

Chad Adams
10-08-2011, 03:31 PM
this is the 3rd spawn in the row you can see eyes on the eggs an as soon as 3rd day comes around i always wake up an there all aten today i woke up with about 5 fertile eggs left so i put a net over it to see when there free swimming if parents will still eat them?

Screen them right away

does anyone elsa have this problem what do you do to prevent it? what kind of netting do you guys use?

Sometimes, I use a wire mesh screen.

will they eat them when they start free swimming?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the pair. Sometimes this is far enough along that they will take care of them.

HTH,
Chad

Eclipes
10-08-2011, 03:40 PM
thanks i bought some from menards !!

OwNz
10-09-2011, 05:44 AM
id wait for the mesh how old are the pair if they area young pair i would wait to see if they get the hang of it i waited on the 15th spawn and then they raised there first batch of young what are now 5 weeks old, now on eggs again due to hatch today !

patience pays off

Sean Buehrle
10-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Why wait ? Mesh them.

Maybe just a little help to the next step is what they need.

judy
10-09-2011, 11:07 AM
With my young pairs, there is almost always one that eats the eggs or fry at some point. If you keep a very close eye on your next batch and identify the offending parent, you can remove one fish and the other should tend the young quite well alone. With my pairs, the sign is a sudden outbreak of violence as one parent tries to protect the young from the other.

Eclipes
10-15-2011, 12:01 AM
well i netted it n now i got wigglers yayaya

misoo83
10-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Wire mesh is problem solver

I put wire mesh on eggs from first day and remove her when all discus fry attach on parents

Congrats on wrigglers :)

Eclipes
10-15-2011, 02:32 AM
thank you :D im worried when they become free swimmers they will gobble them up D:? what do u think

Jennie
10-15-2011, 07:13 AM
it's possible. process of elimination.

Keith Perkins
10-15-2011, 09:24 AM
thank you :D im worried when they become free swimmers they will gobble them up D:? what do u think

It's really a crap shoot, completely depends upon the individual fish. If it happens, as others have said, try to identify the offending parent and pull them from the tank after they've spawned. Maybe they'll straighten out their act in time, maybe not. Discus can be as frustrating as they are beautiful if you let them.

Eclipes
10-15-2011, 03:02 PM
i know once free swimming i can feed them bbs without the parents an they will grow fine, but I know with the parents they will grow 10x faster for the first 2 weeks