PDA

View Full Version : Really???? Who falls for these things?

PC1
10-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I got this email today from "Fed ex online Team Management"
There are so many variations of this scam that people have to be falling for it. Why else would they still be circulated? I just don't get it.

Dear Customer,

We have been waiting for you to contact us for your Confirm-able Package
that is registered with us for shipping to your residential location. We
had thought that your sender gave you our contact details. It may interest
you to know that a letter is also added to your package.

We understand that the content of your package itself is a Bank Draft
worth of Seven Hundred and Fifty Thousand ($750,000.00 USD) United States
Dollar. FedEx do not ship money in CASH or in CHEQUES, but Bank Drafts are
shippable. The package is registered with us for mailing by your colleague
who explained
that he is from U.S.A but currently in Africa for a three (3) months
Surveying Project as he works with a consultant firm in West Africa. We
are sending you this mail because your package is been registered on a
Special Order. For your information, the VAT & Shipping charges as well as
Insurance fees has been paid by your colleague before your package was
registered. Note that the payment that is made on the Insurance, Premium
and Clearance Certificates, are to certify that the Bank Draft is not a
Drug Affiliated Fund (DAF) neither is it funds to sponsor Terrorism in
your country. This will help you avoid any form of query from the Monetary
Authority in your country.

However, you will have to pay the sum of One Hundred and Ninety Six
($196.00 USD) United States Dollar to the FedEx Delivery
Department being full payment for the Security Keeping Fee of the FedEx
company as stated in our Privacy Terms and Condition page. Please note
that packages are not shipped nor delivered on Saturdays, Sundays and on
public holidays. If your order has been placed on any of these days, then
it may be shipped the following working day. Kindly complete the below
form and send it to the FedEx Delivery Post with the below information.
This is mandatory to reconfirm your Postal Address and Telephone Number.

Full Name:
Telephone:
Postal Address:
Sex:
City:
State:

FedEx Delivery Post
Email: fedex-dispatchdept@live.com
Contact Person: Mr. Larry Clinton
Phone Number: +234 807-056-4157
**ALL PACKAGES ARE
SIGNATURE REQUIRED**
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact
us between Monday–Friday: 9:00am – 9:00pm EST, Saturdays: 10:00am – 5:00pm
EST, Sundays: 10:00am - 4:00pm EST.

Have a great day.

Federal Express Co-operation®
FedEx On-line Team Management
All rights reserved. © 1995-2011

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Hopefully no one. These emails have become a dime a dozen.

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Here's a scam pretending to be a scam. lol

ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION
(EFCC) FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT, (ECO WAS), SUBJECT Attn: Beneficiary, Your $1.5 Million Dollars Compensation

Attn: Beneficiary,

I am Mrs. Farida Waziri the charlady of ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC).EFCC in alliance with economic community of West African states (ECOWAS)with the head office here in Nigeria.we have been working towards the eradication of fraudsters and scam artists in western part of Africa with the help of the united states government and the united Nation.

We have been able to track down so many of this scam artist in various part of west Africa countries which includes(NIGERIA, REPUBLIC OF BENIN, TOGO,GHANA CAMERON AND SENEGAL)and they are all in our custody here in Lagos Nigeria. We have been able to recover so much money from these scam artists.The United Nation Anti-Crime commission and the United state Government have ordered the money recovered from the scamers to be shared among 100 lucky people around the global.

This email is been directed to you because your email address was found in one of the scam Artists file anda computer hard disk in our custwilliamsody here in Nigeria.you are therefore being compensated with $1.5Million Dollars.we have also arrested all those who claim that they are barristers,bank officials,lottery Agent who has money for transfer or want you to be the next of kin of such fund which does not exist.

Since your name appeared among the lucky beneficiaries who will receive a compensation of $1.5Million,we have arranged your payment through our swift card payment center.But not that,you are to make a payment of $250 dollars for the save keeping of your ATM CARD before it can be delivered to your house address.

Feel free to contact the processing office:Barrister Lord Ruben..the swift card has been specially prepared to enable you withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world,but the maximum is five thousand dollars only per day. So you are advice to contact,the processing officer Barrister Lord Ruben

Barron with your provided information's required.
CONTACT PERSON: Barrister Lord Ruben.
CONTACT EMAIL: irsdepartment@secretarias.com CALL NUMBER: +234-813-112-1034

provide the information below to enable him prepare your ATM Master Credit Card including your pin to access it.

1)YOUR FULL NAME.
2)YOUR RECEIVING ADDRESS.
3)YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.
4)YOUR PROFESSION.
5)YOUR ID/AGE.

Best Regard,
Mrs. Farida Waziri.
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION
(EFCC) FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT, LAGOS-NIGERIA.

Note:that if no seriousness is seen in you.we have no choice to other than to cancel your fund.we have no time to waste in this transaction any more.this is the second letter and also do disregard any email you get from any importer or office claiming to be in possession of your ATM card.you are hereby advice only to be in contact with Barrister Lord Ruben of the ATM CARD possessing center who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your fund and forward any emails you get from impostors to him so we could act upon and commence investigation.

PC1
10-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Oooh yours gets a little testy at the end. Better hurry they have no time to waste in this transaction. lol

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Oooh yours gets a little testy at the end. Better hurry they have no time to waste in this transaction. lol

I know...guess I better hurry...lol

Darrell Ward
10-08-2011, 04:55 PM
The wife got one of those scams recently in regular snail mail that contained a check. The check had watermarks and everything. These scammers are getting pretty sophisticated.

MKD
10-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I sent this to my spam box and reported it.

Dear Friend,

I am Mrs Jane Stevens. I am a US citizen and i am 48 years Old. I reside
here in New Braunfels Texas. My residential address is as follows: 108
Crockett Court. Apt 303, New Braunfels Texas, United States; am thinking
of
relocating since I am now rich.

I am one of those that took part in the United Nations Compensation
program in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, i had paid
over $20,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment but all was to no
avail.
So I decided to travel down to Nigeria with all my compensation documents
and I was directed to meet Mr Owen Brown, who is the member of
COMPENSATION PROGRAM COMMITTEE, and i contacted him and He explained
everything to me.
He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake. He also took me
to the paying bank( Zenith BANK) for the claim of my Compensation payment.
Right now, i am the happiest woman on earth because I have received my
compensation funds of $5,000,000.00 moreover, Mr Owen Brown, showed me the
full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and i saw
your email as one of the beneficiaries who have not yet recived the
payment under CASE FILE 54AC003, and that is why I decided to email you to
stop dealing with those people.

They are not with your fund, they are only making money off you.
Therefore, i would advise you to contact Mr Owen Brown for assistance and
inform him that your CASE FILE is 54AC003. Contact him directly via the
information below.

UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION AWARD PROGRAM
Name : Mr Owen Brown
Email: owenbrown7775@gmail.com
Phone: +234-808-490-9228
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you
and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not with them. They are
only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have
nothing.
The only money paid after i met Mr Owen Brown was just the bank transfer
charges, which is only normal and legitimate as it is in all banks in the
world.

So please take note of that. Mr Owen Brown shall ensure that you deal
directly with the bank( ZENITH BANk).Once again stop contacting those
people, I will advise you to contact Mr Owen Brown, so that he can help
you in the collection of your transfer payment instead of dealing with
those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of
money to complete your transaction.
Thank you and be blessed.
Mrs. Jane Stevens

MKD
10-08-2011, 05:16 PM
another one - account verification email.
the catch is when you move mouse point over the link, it directs to different address.

(Warning: do not click on it) when you open your email.

Greetings American Express Card Customer,

We at American Express Card, would like to remind you that your American Express Card Account has not been updated to the latest Online Access Agreement for American Express Card Online services.

In order for us, at American Express Card to guarantee your online security, you need to update your account information . We urge you to partner with us to prevent customer fraud, by going through the 2 steps American Express Card Account Confirmation process. This operation involves logging in and confirming your identity over a secure connection at:
To get started, please click the link below:

Security Update. After completing this process, you will be informed that your account has been updated and you will be redirected to the actual Online Access Agreement, for you to review.

Thanks for choosing American Express Card as your Financial Institution. American Express Card, N.A Member FDIC. Equal opportunity Lender.

Customers Support Service
All users of our online services subject to Privacy Statement and agree to be bound by Terms of Service. Please read.

brewmaster15
10-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Hope I don't have to say this as people already should know this... but alot of these spams aren't searching for suckers for the money....though they'll gladly take them. They are phishing for info... Don't click any links or even send a reply to tell them what they can do with their obvious scam spam.... doing either of things gives them more info on you and confirms your email is valid....which leads to more spam.

You can also forward the spam to the appropriate company, for example if "paypal" sends you a suspicious email...forward it to them at spoof@paypal.com others like Chase (credit cards/bank etc use abuse@chase.com

hth,
al

Second Hand Pat
10-09-2011, 10:03 AM
All true Al and this is happening with people searching for jobs. My daughter graduated from college last year and posted her resume online. She was bombarded with emails from "companies" wanted her to interview which were in no way related to her degree.

She was savvy enough to do a little research and discovery these are for information collection also. I am happy to say that she was able to find a job in her degree field with a decent starting pay. That's my girl :)

jimg
10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
One note, whenever a company you deal with sends you a letter/email of any type they will always address you by your name. If they don't then most of the time it's fake.
some times if I'm not sure even when they do state my name I don't call the # they send, I look up the company's # and call them.

DLock3d
10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I like walking into my office and telling people that I won't be here for much longer because the President of Nigeria needs me. I go on to explain that he'll be transferring a large some of money to my account for providing him bank account details to use in the US.

DLock3d
10-09-2011, 12:25 PM
One note, whenever a company you deal with sends you a letter/email of any type they will always address you by your name. If they don't then most of the time it's fake.
some times if I'm not sure even when they do state my name I don't call the # they send, I look up the company's # and call them.

Almost all of my spam email has my name. The key to knowing spam vs non spam is spending more than 2 seconds reading it before you follow a link or submit info. If you're still unsure after 30seconds, don't risk it. Noone's going to send you giant gobs of money by alerting you through email.

jimg
10-09-2011, 12:36 PM
maybe some spam email may have your name but most scams that claim to be from places like paypal,ebay credit co's,etc the fakes, usually always start with dear customer,dear friend etc.
a lot of spam comes from co's you deal with selling off your email and name.

MKD
10-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Almost all of my spam email has my name. The key to knowing spam vs non spam is spending more than 2 seconds reading it before you follow a link or submit info. If you're still unsure after 30seconds, don't risk it. Noone's going to send you giant gobs of money by alerting you through email.

it's possible they have your name. there is 1 thing that you can tell which email address or link must does not have complete website address (email:blablala@COMPANYNAME.COM)= Big No. Also, the bank will NEVER NEVER NEVER verify your account thru email.

2075turner
10-10-2011, 07:49 PM
I get these daily on my one account that I have for my website....

If I only was so lucky to win, I would be a zillionaire by now, lol

Here are 2 of the 3 I got today, lol

Your e-mail has just won you ONE MILLION pounds in the (BBC PROMO)

that took place 16-09 2011 draw no. 01 32 38 32 38 41 BONUS 44

brought out your e-mail and made you a winner of the winning sum

be adviced to send us this informations for claims

(1) Full Names..........

(2) Delivery Address.........
(3) Gender

(4) Occupation..........

(5) Country..........

(6) Nationality..........

(7) Mobile No..........

(8) Age..........

(9) Marital Status........

(10)Email for Cormfirmation..........

Your e-mail has just won you ONE MILLION pounds in the (BBC PROMO)

that took place 16-09 2011 draw no. 01 32 38 32 38 41 BONUS 44

brought out your e-mail and made you a winner of the winning sum

be adviced to send us this informations for claims

(1) Full Names..........

(2) Delivery Address.........
(3) Gender

(4) Occupation..........

(5) Country..........

(6) Nationality..........

(7) Mobile No..........

(8) Age..........

(9) Marital Status........

(10)Email for Cormfirmation..........

And another....

BRITISH COLUMBIA NATIONAL LOTTERY BC-49, Unit 5, Tiger Court, Kings Drive, Kings Business Park, Prescot, Knowsley, Liverpool, L34 1BH.
BC-49 Lottery Reference NO: IMP/73253CA/2011

BRITISH COLUMBIA NATIONAL LOTTERY, 2011 PROMOTION.

Attention: Lucky Winner

The British Columbia National Lottery BC-49 in collaboration with the British Government and the World Gaming Board are the sponsors of this Online e-mail lottery promo for compensation and grant for both past lottery winners and the entire public for purpose of infrastructural development and Online compensation for all internet users.

We happily announce to you the draws of the Special Global 2011 Promotional Draw held on Friday the 7th of October, 2011 here in Liverpool, United Kingdom is out. Your e-mail address was attached to BC-49 Reference NO: IMP/73253CA/2011 which drew the Winning No: 02 04 30 34 35 48 Bonus No: 47 for BC-49 Lotto under the choice of the lottery in the 1st category.

All participants were selected randomly from World Wide Web site through computer draws system and extracted from over 250,000 companies and personal e-mails. So your e-mail is your Online automatic ticket that qualified you for this draw. This is to inform you that you have won a prize money of £1,550,952.00.(One Million Five Hundred And Fifty Thousand Nine Hundred And Fifty Two Pounds Sterling) for the Year 2011 Prize Promotion which is Organized by The British Columbia National Lottery BC-49.

In view of this, your £1,550,952.00.(One Million Five Hundred And Fifty Thousand Nine Hundred And Fifty Two Pounds Sterling) would be released to you by following the directives of our fiduciary consultant. Our affiliated London-UK Bank will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your funds as soon as you contact their office. So you are required to adhere strictly to our instruction as our fiduciary consultant will assist you facilitate the processing of your claims:

You are to contact our Claims Consultant with the details below:
Contact Person: Mr. Nicholas Donnie.
E-mail: (britshcolumbialott.bc_201@gsjm.net)

FILL PAYMENT PROCESSING FORM BELOW:
1.FULL NAMES:________
2.ADDRESS:__________
3.SEX:_______________
4.AGE:________
5.MARITAL STATUS:_____
6.OCCUPATION:________
7.WINNING E-MAIL ADDRESS:______
8.TELEPHONE NUMBER:______________
9.COUNTRY___________

Yours Sincerely,
Sir. Gordons Fletcher.
Online Coordinator British Columbia National Lottery BC-49.

NB: Winners are advised to keep their winning details/information personal until their proceeds gets to them as this is a precautionary measure to avoid double claims (IMPORTANT) pending the prize claimed by Winner.

DLock3d
10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
DON'T DO IT EVELYN. ITS A TRAP!!!!

aalbina
10-10-2011, 09:35 PM
A trap. -- whhhhaaat? I've been waiting on my check!! I bought a couple if cars on credit and quit my job.... Is this really a scam - dang!! ;)

I work in technology at a College in NH - when some of these scams and phishing emails come out with a new twist, I have my Help Desk send out a message to campus telling everyone it's a scam or phishing. We say in the Help Desk email - never send your password or personal information to someone claiming to need it. Inevitably - someone will respond to the Help Desk WITH their userid, password and personal information... I kid you not!

Adam

2075turner
10-10-2011, 11:45 PM
DON'T DO IT EVELYN. ITS A TRAP!!!!

LOL:p

ericatdallas
10-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Have you guys seen the FBI one? My first thought was, "Riiight, the FBI Director Robert Mueller is e-mailing me". I guess they figured if someone Google'd it, the name would come up and show legitimacy...

But this one ACTUALLY threatens you with a crime!

Then, you have to wonder how a Presidential political appointee has such poor writing skills.

If you fail to provide the Documents to us, we will charge you with the FBI and take our proper action against you for not proofing to us the legitimate of the fund you are about to receive.

brewmaster15
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Heres a classic... got this one this am...

DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS!!!!!

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;

Subject: Wells Fargo - Important Message !

Date: Tue 10/11/11 09:49 AM

Attachments
Name Type Save View
Message text/html Save

Official notice

Dear Wells Fargo customer,

Please note that Wells Fargo Online Access for your account is about to expire.

In order for it to remain active, please sign in to it as soon as possible.

Click the link that has been generated below to proceed and access your account.

https://online.wellsfargo.com/personal/logon/login.jsp?messageKey=IB:921035832

Wells Fargo plc
Products and Services Copyright © 2011 Wells Fargo plc .

Sounds suspicious... so you take a look at the header of the email...

Received: from ksmail.gdcatv.com.tw (115.43.224.51 [115.43.224.51])by dm0208.mta.everyone.net (EON-INBOUND) with ESMTP id dm0208.4e7af94a.2fd3f06for <brewmaster15@netscape.com>; Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:49:23 -0700

from User ([87.104.25.184] RDNS failed) by ksmail.gdcatv.com.tw with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675); Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:49:19 +0800

X-Originalarrivaltime: 11 Oct 2011 13:49:21.0325 (UTC) FILETIME=[942B9DD0:01CC881C]

MIME-Version: 1.0

Subject: Wells Fargo - Important Message !

X-Eon-DM: dm0208

X-Msmail-Priority: High

Return-Path: <service@homebank.ro>

service@homebank.ro

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000

X-Priority: 1

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:49:21 +0200

Message-ID: <KSMAILrOc0Ne0PaLI9m00002066@ksmail.gdcatv.com.tw>

X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000

Content-Type: text/html;charset="Windows-1251"

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

the homebank.ro address is a flag... and the "gdcatv.com.tw" is as well. always suspect any email from a financial institute asking you to log and verify info or activate an account...

The link they gave me to log in with looks legit until you hold the mouse over it...but when you do...you see the real address...

http://90-145-5-222.bbserv.nl/www.wellsfargo.com/index.php

I openned that link in a fashion that they can't track and the page that comes up is a page that is a stripped down wells fargo page, with a place to to fill in your atm card number, exp date, and pin.

sadly people still fall for this.

-al

judy
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM
The phone ones are hilarious-- some guy with a very heavy Indian accent solemnly informing me he is the account manager for Visa and Mastercard, or the guy who says he is with Windows and they have detected my computer is having problems. I very much enjoy arguing with them until THEY hang up in frustration: e.g.
"Really? But how do you know if I have a computer?"
"Everyone in North America has computers, miss."
"But I don't have a computer. What makes you think I have a computer?"
...and so on...

spiri
11-06-2011, 04:23 AM
I am really wondering if those knuckleheads really make something out of this. They really take an effort to send these emails and when you read it plainly, it seems enticing but if you have previous knowledge, you would know that any form of this message would not be toward something nice.

I would really like to know if they could fool someone into sharing information to get something from this. And should someone believe, I would not think he has that much, to begin with.

retiredsailor
11-06-2011, 08:44 AM
sadly it does work. my father, who was suffering from dementia at the time, got taken for a few hundred dollars after getting one of the phone calls. oddly, he used to be one of the most suspicious and untrusting persons before this. 10 years ago he never would have fallen for it. but he was also polite, in other words he wouldn't just hang up. till he died he was still expecting some guy to show up with 2 million dollars for him.

for the emails, one of the easy ways to tell its fake is to read it and find the simple english mistakes. almost all of them have mistakes. and then, like has been stated so many times, they wouldn't contact you like that.

ian

wendy9722
11-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I get those emails just about everyday if not a couple of them a day. I only wish they was true..... Dreamin more beutiful discus in BIG beautiful house and lots of bankage.

ericatdallas
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
sadly it does work. my father, who was suffering from dementia at the time, got taken for a few hundred dollars after getting one of the phone calls. oddly, he used to be one of the most suspicious and untrusting persons before this. 10 years ago he never would have fallen for it. but he was also polite, in other words he wouldn't just hang up. till he died he was still expecting some guy to show up with 2 million dollars for him.

for the emails, one of the easy ways to tell its fake is to read it and find the simple english mistakes. almost all of them have mistakes. and then, like has been stated so many times, they wouldn't contact you like that.

ian

Another check is the domain name... that's the #1 for me. Agreed with the grammar and spelling too. I make some simple mistakes due to carelessness, but fluent English speakers are able to tell the subtle typos, mispellings, and mental lapses that occur. You also have to assume when a "lawyer" contacts you, that he has better writing skills than that and has someone proofread his correspondence when it deals with millions of dollars.

Seniors, people hard on their luck, etc are definitely the most vulnerable.

Some of the 'scams' are a lot trickier too... Purely by the numbers they get lucky too.

my wife was fooled by one where a NEW travel agency got our name from Carnival Cruises (we had just booked a cruise) and we won a contest to get a free cruise. She spoke with the 'agent' and was skeptical but then after hearing everything she agreed to go meet with her.

She called me and I said, "Hmmm... that does sound interesting but my biggest red flag in all of this is ... with Expedia, Travelocity, online bookings, how is a new travel agency a good idea? They're either ridiculously dumb or this is a scam."

I also asked, "Did they say Carnival Cruise gave our number? I have a problem with that..." My wife said, "No, they said they probably got our names from a recent vacation or booking." <another red flag>

I told my wife if we didn't have to hire a babysitter I would do it just for fun. I can be quite obnoxious. We searched online and found that this company does indeed offer vouchers, but you had to pay a downpayment and there were a lot of restrictions on its use.

I'm not saying my wife is gullible, but I think we all have 'vunerable' moments in our life. In this case, my wife really wanted a vacation (been a rough year) and sometimes hoping and wanting something really bad, your mind tricks you for the scammers. :(