PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon growout is set up, but...

MightyEvil
10-09-2011, 05:12 AM
So I set up my 55 gallon growout, here it is...

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww72/mightyevil/Pets/2011-10-09012904.jpg

Will be adding more drifwood tomorrow. I will also leave it bare bottom as recommended by everyone here.

Was going to leave it to cycle starting tonight and was going to seed it with media from my 110 tomorrow but I had a couple of problems. First, my bulkhead was leaking and then I noticed my overflow box was detaching from one of its sides. I tried repearing the external overflow box and I will see if the repair worked tomorrow when it is dry. On my bulkhead I will redo the tape on the threading and that should be good enough. Wish me luck!

I have some ideas for my 180 gallon tank but I will need some big pieces of driftwood. Anybody know where to find some drift wood close to LA county? I want to look for it myself because I will be incorporating it into a background that I will make for my 180 and I want a specific look. Thanks in advanced!

-Chris

Second Hand Pat
10-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi Chris,

Awesome looking tank but most folks would leave the tank plain to maximize room for the fish to grow out. I suspect the background takes about a third of your tank space. Love the way you incorporate the wood into the background.

Sorry for the woes on your 110. I hate leaks and good luck on your repairs. On finding wood you might consider contacting PC1 who is a sponsor here and collects manzanita wood for sell here as DW for aquariums. He also lives in Ca and might be able to suggest places for the legal collection of the wood.

Pat

lipadj46
10-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Looks cool but I agree a 55 is thin as it is, how much volume do you think the background is taking up?

MightyEvil
10-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Chris,

Awesome looking tank but most folks would leave the tank plain to maximize room for the fish to grow out. I suspect the background takes about a third of your tank space. Love the way you incorporate the wood into the background.

Sorry for the woes on your 110. I hate leaks and good luck on your repairs. On finding wood you might consider contacting PC1 who is a sponsor here and collects manzanita wood for sell here as DW for aquariums. He also lives in Ca and might be able to suggest places for the legal collection of the wood.

Pat

Thanks Pat! This 55 is only a temp tank, it is the biggest I have other than my 180 gallon tank and my 110 gallon tank but my 110 is occupied by my African Cichlids. I have two 20 gallon long tanks that are available but I thought that the 55 would be better because it is longer, taller, and it has a 10 gallon sump. So it is the best way to go with discus right?

The swimming space is significantly affected by the background, in some areas the background is about 5/6 thick and in some areas its about 1/6 thick. With that said, in my opinion the 55 is still better than my 20 gallon long... What is your opinion? Also, water temp would be a little more difficult to manage on a 20.

Oh, and the leak was on the 55 (thank god, nock on wood), not on the 110.

I tried asking PC1 about the wood but was not lucky enough to receive a response, perhaps I should PM him. Again, thanks for the kind works and advise!

Looks cool but I agree a 55 is thin as it is, how much volume do you think the background is taking up?

Thank you!

If I would have to take a guess, I would say that the background displaces about 40% of the water and the 10 gallon sump replaces some of that water.

Second Hand Pat
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Chris, I will admit to not being an expert however I do have a group of 6 3 to 4 inch juvies in a 40 breeder. How many and what size will your juvies be? I would favor the 55 over the 20 myself guessing you have 35 gallons of usable space and the 10 gallon sump does give you some extra water volume.

MightyEvil
10-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Yeah, no expert here either Pat ;), I have kept fish for many years but when it comes to Discus, I am all too new. Some people in here make me feel like a total noob and I don't blame them, these fish are very neede.

I am seriously thinking about starting with a group of 5 or 6 and in efforts to same me a significant amount of money, I am contemplating on getting them as young as I can, 1.5" - 2". My plan is to grow them to about 4"- 4.5" in the 55 gallon and then setting them up in the 180.

Second Hand Pat
10-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Chris, I would suggest starting with no less then 6 and just see how it goes in the 55. Other folks may have better suggestions. I would like to get mine to 5 inches in the 40 but we shall see. They have a 100 waiting for them.

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Chris, you may need to give PC1 a little time to response back.

MightyEvil
10-10-2011, 12:16 AM
6 it is then:D! I plan to buy a cheap 40 gallon on craigslist for a sump for the 180. I guess that if the discus look like they are not doing well in the 55, I will use the 40 all bare to raise them in but I hope it is not necessary.

My reason for not starting with the 180 right now is because I want to build the background for it and because I want to be able to close monitor the little guys. What is the reason why you are not starting with the 100?

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2011, 12:25 AM
I already have fish in the 100 some which are red head tapajos and they would compete with the juvies for food. Also like you say to keep a closer eye on them.

MightyEvil
10-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I see, good stuff... Thanks Pat!

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2011, 12:38 AM
You are welcome Chris. Interesting username you have...is there a story behind that?

MightyEvil
10-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Haha, not very many people ask but i find it interesting when they do. It all started when I was in high school and in the AOL era. I wanted a cool screen name for my aim account and i chose that. Many of my friends got used to the screen name and it just stuck. I still use it because it is very easy to remember and i use it for almost everything. I am not really an evil person...lol

It is funny because I really like the "don't judge a book by its cover" saying. I find it that a lot of people will and the ones who don't are the ones i like to keep around as friends. My user name kind of helps me in that way, I think.

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
So a friend weeding tool ;)

MightyEvil
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
LOL, yes, it may or may not be effective but I like to think it is...