PDA

View Full Version : New Discus issues: fin clamp and hiding!

Charles Crews
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started:

Yesterday I bought a few new discus to add to my 140gal high tech planted tank: 1 white diamond, 1 checkerboard, and 2 pigeons, all about 3" as well as 2 roseline sharks and 20 cardinal tetras. I already had 5 discus in the tank and everyone looked great. I had 2 black angels with a fungus outbreak in my quarantine tank so against my better judgement I acclimated them into the main tank. All of the fish look good now except one of the new pigeon discus. He seems to recede back into the corner of the tank, swim into the overflow box, or hide behind the plants for long periods of time. His coloring and slime coat look fine and he is eating, however he has a bit of fin clamp and will only clamp one fin at a time. He will occasionally swim out front with the rest of the discus but in general does not look near as good as the others. He doesn't seem to have any labored breathing and doesn't have any visible scratches or anything abnormal. Like I said, he swam into the overflow box and has been back there for about 4 hours now and was also there this morning, he likes to stay very close to the wall of the tank and it has me a bit worried. Additionally, I have a bit of cyanobacteria that I have been trying to rid without medication for about 3 weeks. I decided to start treating with Mardel erythromycin this afternoon. Originally I thought the discus just might be a bit shy or was just adjusting...but given the fin clamp and the much better condition of all of the other new and old fish, I am now thinking otherwise. Suggestions?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

clamped fins, hiding, brown poop

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Started Mardel erythromyacin today for cyanobacteria outbreak

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

140 gal. high tech planted tank, 16 months old. 9 discus (between 2.5"-4"), 4 roseline sharks, 20 cardinal tetras, 5 loaches, 3 silver angels, 2 black angels in QT, 1 leopard synodontis, 1 whiptail catfish, 1 female ram.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

WC 50% once a week, tap water with prime, gravel.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84.5___

- ph __6.7___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _0___

- well water ____

- municipal water _Yes___

JustinKScott
10-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Your nitrate can't be 0ppm; unless you are reading right after a water change or your filter isn't working. Your plants won't like you if you are @ 0 nitrates either.

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
80g high tech planted (2.7w/g t5ho, pressured co2, EI ferts)
Bare-bottom Discus growth tank w/ 8 juvies
Angelfish breeder

TURQ64
10-10-2011, 08:52 AM
3" Discus really don't do as well in heavily planted tanks in comparison to BB..My opinion is that there are some bacterial nasties thriving in the tank. The 'one fin, then the other' somewhat reinforces my call. 50% daily wc is more in line with 3" er's..Once a week is tough for adults...Not sure whether Erythromycin will do the trick or not..as for killing off the nasties without effect on the plants, this is not my field of expertise, so I'll leave it to one of the plant people. I'd most likely cure the fish, and melt down all the greenery...Gary

lipadj46
10-10-2011, 10:31 AM
There is a alot going on in that tank. You may want to pull all the discus out in a separate bare tank until they get bigger and you get the planted tank sorted out.