PDA

View Full Version : Why hide

Skull
10-10-2011, 07:25 PM
This is the first time I have owned discus. I just got 3 goldens to start with may add more. The problem is all they do is huddle in the corner unless they are eating. Whats the deal??? They seem hide by the filter intake also. Any input???? Thanks!

MightyEvil
10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
From what I have learned here at SD, Discus like to be in groups and will act skittish otherwise. Maybe once you add more they will act differently...

At least they are eating, which kind of backs up the theory. Otherwise, they would probably not even take any food.

Skull
10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
What about adding other fish that swim around ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyEvil
10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Thing about shoaling fish is that they like to shoal with their own species. I don't think you will have much luck with other fish. Sorry...

Skip
10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
What about adding other fish that swim around ?

they are racist.. and only stick to their own kind.. get more..

x2h
10-11-2011, 12:31 PM
besides the above advices you might want to check your water chemistry first - ammonia, nitrite, pH, etc. also temperature might affect them. Good luck!

Darrell Ward
10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, 3 is a poor number. The larger the group, the better. Also, it can take a while to adjust to new surroundings, water parameters, etc.

jlcoop277
10-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Anything else in tank? DW or plants?

Skull
10-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the info. I think u will get three more. The water is testing fine. They are coming out more often lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walt3
10-11-2011, 06:36 PM
they like to have things to hide behind like large plants, wood etc. if not provided with these they may be timid at first. unless you like the empty bare bottom look. yuk! :)

moon_knight1971
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
They need exposure to seeing you on a consistant basis as well. I have a tank of 8 9 month old discus and they still hide in the corner or behind the sponge filter whenever they see me. I'm at work most of the day so they only see me when I feed them beefheart before I go in the morning then 9 hours later when I get home from work. I think they see me about 10 minutes each day in that pattern. When I took several days off of work I made it a point to walk by the tank frequently, even sitting down in font of them for 10 or 15 mins to let them get used to me. They did come out much more when I did that but got skittish again once I made sudden moves lol

Skip
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
i don't know about that.. it think its just the collective nature of that group..

i have two tanks of Rams.. One tank is ALWAYS hiding from me.. the other is always waiting at front of glass for food.. they are all treated the same.. thinking about mixing them all into one.. i may need the space for my newly formed pair!

PleiadesSTi
10-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Takes time for fish to get used to a new tank, water, food etc. My glass catfish took forever to get brave enough to come out. Give them time. Think how you would feel if you were suddenly dumped into a new environment.