PDA

View Full Version : picked up discus from al's need help with tank

frinklinduds
10-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Hey guys i have recently added 3 more discus to my collection and they are all getting along great. I stopped by al's this past weekend and picked up 2 albinos and a pb. They are all great, they entered the tank with much grace and didn't seem bothered by the transition at all. They are already used to me in the 2 days i have had them and began taking food from my hand last night.... :) '
they are in a 20 gallon long and i will be buying a much larger tank for them this month but i am having trouble finding somewhere to get a raliable tank with stand aswell. All stands i have seen in various stores have very shotty stands without even a full peice of wood across the top

I'm looking for a tank around the demensions of 48 inches long x 24 inches high x 18 inches with a stand that wont ..break LOL

Rimless would be good too

IF anyone has sources to get such aquarium please let me know, or just a good place for stand please share

thanks again

TURQ64
10-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Sounds like you are looking for a 90g..Craigslist is the only place I buy large tanks...I'm seldom hunting stands, tho'..good luck on the search..Gary

jlcoop277
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
DIY on the stand.
The tank all depends on your budget. LFS, or google search if you want a new tank.
If you're really good you can have a glass company cut your glass and put it together yourself.

frinklinduds
10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
true do you know any sites with plans for diy?
also i was thinking of going rimless, is this not recommended for discus?

jlcoop277
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
You can Google Images under DIY Aquarium stand, tons of pics that you can link to.
I'm sure there are plenty of members that can help.
In the mean time
http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/showthread.php?t=23717&highlight=stand

frinklinduds
10-12-2011, 10:32 AM
alright i took some measurments down for my tank last night and decided on going with a reef savvy tank, and also decided on the diy stand.... i will start building this next week my tank dimensions are changed to 48Lx24Hx20

what should stand deminsions be to meet this ?

walt3
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
build it as high as you want depending on how you plan to service it. my tank bottom is close to 50 inches of the ground. :) i use a step stool to clean and service but is a perfect height for viewing and out of reach of my little girl. lol.

Wes
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
I got the tank at PETLAND at thier $1.50 a gallon sale,its a 120. 24x24x48. made the stand 30 tall and a half inch overlap,25x49. 69716 didnt get around to making doors yet. The stand is made of 1x3 and 1x4 select pine and some plywood gluded up. I can park my F150 0n it.