PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Sealers? (kinda discus related) :P

ericatdallas
10-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Okay, rely on this site way too much for random information.

Anyone have any recommendations on heat sealers. I buy a lot of my fish supplies in bulk now and I would like to keep them fresh and my wife would like one for the kitchen too.

I would also like it without the vacuum seal option? I've never had one before so is it possible to seal without vacuum sealing? That's because my wife sells crafts and I sell random stuff on eBay that we would like to be able to properly package.

I was looking at a manual operated impulse heat sealer (no vacuum).

I was also looking at the cheapos on Amazon (from $40-80). Would prefer to stay under $100.

I'm assuming there are a few of you out there that buy bulk flakes or whatever and do something similar?

ericatdallas
10-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh, there also has to be an option to use any poly bags. If it could do the foil bags even better but from my research it looks like it'll cost way too much.

Is there a huge difference is preservation if you don't do vacuum sealing and just do the heat seal? I was thinking maybe I could rig up an air pump to suck the air out while I'm heat sealing too... not sure if anyone has tried this. I did a search for diy vacuum seals but no one has done anything like that.

DiscusOnly
10-11-2011, 10:37 AM
If you don't need vaccum seal, do it the old fashion way.

I prefer to use an old hack saw blade. Folder the bag over it and run it quickly over a candle.

Van

Larry Bugg
10-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/C-H-Impulse-Heat-Sealers/dp/B002SWCDNA

ericatdallas
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/C-H-Impulse-Heat-Sealers/dp/B002SWCDNA

Something like that is what I've been looking at buying.

The vacuum seal isn't too important to me, so I'm leaning towards that. My wife wants the vacuum seal part, but I'm not entirely convinced it's that much more useful when anything we package is either freeze-dried or frozen.

ericatdallas
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Larry, does yours work with mylar?

Larry Bugg
10-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I have only used it for one thing. I buy some fish food in bulk, seal it and re-sale it locally so poly bags is all that I have ever tried. Been using it for a couple of years with no issues.

ericatdallas
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I have only used it for one thing. I buy some fish food in bulk, seal it and re-sale it locally so poly bags is all that I have ever tried. Been using it for a couple of years with no issues.

Okay, thanks. Has anyone tried doing this with shipping fish? Just out of curiosity? I imagine I wouldn't trust the seal on these, but as a backup seal?

I actually have been toying with a DIY idea that's similar to what vlam suggested. The hacksaw blade is a better idea.. I was considering doing the same thing with a wire.

DiscusOnly
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Eric,

I won't take credit to that technique. I learn it when I was a little kid helping my family package ball bearings into small bags. No, there were no child labor laws there. I believe this technique is used a lot in 3rd world country in the past.

Van

jeep
10-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I have a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and it's the best investment I ever made for the kitchen. I have steaks in the freezer that are 4 years old and taste just as fresh as the day I bought them. You can't do that with foil or plastic wrap. All foodsavers can be used in vacuum mode or seal only (no vacuum).

Keep the wife happy and accomplish what you want and buy a Foodsaver!

ericatdallas
10-16-2011, 04:25 PM
That's good advice Jeep :)