PDA

View Full Version : How much 1cm Discus can grow in one month?

tirthabratapanja
10-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi I am a discus hobbyist till last seven to eight years. I have learned may e book and forum post on discus. Now i have started keeping discus fries which are not more than 1 to 1.5 cm i feed them newly hatched brineshrimp egg. dcapsulated artimia cyst. spirulina powder water solution for 8 to 10 times a day. 6 to 7 times minimum 9 0% water change as MR. JACK WATTLEY said at a forum water change the only way to make huge discus. but allready one month passed my discus grow 1 inch to 1.5 inch heardly.
Is this growth ok? if not then what to do to get best result? please help me

mariusvlad
10-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Normal growth would be 1 inch per month during the first four months. Below this value I believe that evolution stagnating and the discus will be scrap.
Sharing water is ok but you have started feeding with beef heart mixture to get the desired results.

Sean Buehrle
10-12-2011, 06:46 AM
It takes dedication and alot of food and water.

I've been pounding fry for two months with 95 % water changes and feeding the crap out of them, sometimes they get two watetchanges in a 24 hour period.

The largest ones are 1.5 inches nose to tail, about half the school is at 1-1.25 inches.

So in my case the 1 inch per month would be more of a best outcome type of description rather than normal growth.

You have to watch everything closely to make sure the water is ideal for them, it's pretty tough and time consuming.

Just keep HIGH water quality and keep bellies full for best results.

I also have 5 blue snakes that came in bad shape in April, malnourished and parasite ridden.

With large daily waterchanges they have turned into some nice shaped fish and have grown quite a bit.

They are not going to be large discus but I'll bet they will top out at 5.5 before they are done.

Considering the slow start they got, it's a miracle they have grown at all.

In your case IMO your fish probably got thrown off a bit after being shipped and lost a couple weeks growth but they are growing,and with proper care should turn out fine.

Try some high octane food.

I like the fdbw from aquaticsuppliers.com.

Good luck :)

tirthabratapanja
10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Then friends what are you thinking the growth rate of my discus is ok?

Yes Sean you are absolutely right for 1st two weeks I have to feed them newly hatched brine shrimp. As I cant able to arrange decapsulated brine shrimp. After starting of dcap they are growing it can b seen.

Me changing water as much as possible. And try to fill their belly all the time. But now I think they need beef heart mixture.