PDA

View Full Version : Ultima II Filters

AndLaw134
10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I have slowly been working on setting up my fish room. The room has been built 13.5' x 8.5' and the light hung up, 6- 70 gallon tanks ready to go and a 2 - 200 gallon holding tank for water changes.

What I don't have is a filter system. I am thinking of using a Pond filter Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 1000. Curious to see if anyone has ever done this, and if so what pump they used to run the system. I am looking a a Cascas Low 1725 1/8 HP pump.

Not really intrested in a wet/Dry every one got one of thous and they take up a lot of room.
Any one have any thoughts.

Altum Nut
10-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Your on your way Andlaw,

By the sound of it...all tanks drilled and plumbed in with piping. Sounds like a good thought out plan but call me old school...I will always fear central systems because one nasty affects the whole system. It's happened to many so not my cup of tea.
I really hope it all works out well for you. I'm sure someone will chime in suggestions for your flteration needs.
Once you get all set-up I would love to drop by and check it all out.

...Ralph

AndLaw134
10-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Ralph. When I get it all done I would be happy to have you come by. Just remember I am working on it slowly,

I am going to have the neccessary plumbing to shut off tanks and the like if there is a problem. But I am a lazy fish keeper and I am trying to automate a bunch of functions thats my I am intrested in a centerlized system.

I will post some pictures soon of the developments

cheers.

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
A bead filter works great for small systems like that. Just be sure to size the pump at whatever flow rate you want, but at a head loss of 15ft +your plumbing friction loss. The 15ft head loss is the average pressure loss going through the bead filter (pressure required to push the water through the unit).

I could recommend an Aquadyne BF60BL filter, and an Iwaki PM27 pump:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1777/AquaDyne-Bead-Filters
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/118/Iwaki-Pumps-Magnetic-Drive

-Ryan

Darrell Ward
10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Bead filters do work great. IMO they work even better if you run a pressurized mechanical filter behind them. Just to give you an idea, on a smaller scale I have a OceanClear bead filter, and a second one behind it that has the beads removed on a 150 gal. In place of the beads, 8" of Poret Foam was added to increase mechanical.