PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tank Mates & Tank Setup (4ft)

GABBA
10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi, i have kept fish for about a year now and havnt had too many problems. I do currently have some Discus and all seem to be going well (knock on wood), but i am thinking about re-doing the tank to suit the Discus more. My tank is roughly 65 Gallons (126 x 60 x 40 cm). I would like to know the following:

1. How many Discus (juviniles) should i keep in a tank of this size? I have done a bit of reading, and a thorough article i read mentioned keeping 6+ Discus could be a good idea, as it creates a school, reduces bullying of any one particular fish, etc. The only thing is i would have to accommodate for the fish as they grow larger (maybe re-tank them, or re-home them).

2. The second question relates to what fish can/should be kept with the discus. Right now, i do have some fish with them, and although they dont seem to be causing too many problems i dont think they are the best mix. So i would like to know what fish are ideal to live amongst Discus. I have read that 10 x Cardinal Tetras and 10 x Red-Eye Tetras would be a good combination. Neon Tetras also look nice, but im not sure how well they would go being with Discus.

3. I would also like to re-arrange my current tank setup. Right now there are a few plants (not too many) and bit of open water. I read that a planted aquarium compliments Discus, but how hard is it to set up a full planted aquarium?

If people can comment on the above points, it would be appreciated.

On a side note, i have read the Beginners Guide which was helpful, but am looking for other people's opinions.

Thanks.

frinklinduds
10-13-2011, 08:07 AM
go with rummy nose tetras, they are different and look sick

walt3
10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
i love my lemon tetras as well. cories are great little catfish.

Wes
10-14-2011, 12:55 AM
A group of sterba cory look great and handle the temp in a discus tank.

JEC11718
10-19-2011, 11:14 PM
bristlenose pleco's do well too!