PDA

View Full Version : Bad quality to good quality.

zchauvin
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Just wondering if its possible to get high grade fish from breeding lower grade fish?
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Skip
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
i would think so.. but you would have to raise out the spawn.. and cull as the grow and keep the best ones..
since all spawns have different genetics.. I ASSUME.. that out of a spawn.. you would get a couple

if i am wrong.. it will not be the first time! ;)

yim11
10-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Sure, its also possible to win the lottery, how many times has that happened for you?

Why bother with this? If you want high grade fish start with high grade fish.

Darrell Ward
10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Theoretically you get decent offspring from stunted fish, if they have good genetics.

zchauvin
10-13-2011, 05:04 PM

Wes
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
IMHO YES. You may get more culls but you will get some good ones and maybe a great one. Enviroment after thay hatch will play a big part. 697086971069709 Father + Mother = daughter

John_Nicholson
10-13-2011, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=zchauvin;810010]I wish people like yim could send me about a grand a week so that I could buy all the $300 good quality fish out there. I'm sure everyone including you yim make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and have virtually nothing other than expensive fish to buy... Now to the people that know I'm in college and all, thanks for the reply. I want to get a few of marks stock from Hudson but I don't see 1500 for six fish feasible. I know that I know better, but would it hurt to get 3-4 of his and 2-3 somewhere else that weren't say.. grade aaa fish and try to get aaa out of the offspring.

If you don't have the money to buy quality fish than you sure don't have the money to buy crappy fish, get them to spawn, and then raise all of the fry out to see if you get a few good enough to call high quality.....

Jim is trying to help you out with extremely good advise .......

-john

zchauvin
10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Better yet instead of start drama as there has been some as of lately... I agree I can't magically get good fish. Thanks

Wes
10-13-2011, 06:16 PM
IMHO YES. You may get more culls but you will get some good ones and maybe a great one. Enviroment after thay hatch will play a big part. 697086971069709 Father + Mother = daughter Guess which one ate the good food and had a lot of water changes?????

zchauvin
10-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Lol.... Def the daughter

kent1963
10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
You can get high quality fish without spending 2-300 per fish, you just have to be patient. Find someone that is breeding a good quality fish that you like the look of and buy young fish at a lower price. Then take the time and effort to grow them out with the best care you can provide. You Will end up with good fish this way it just takes time.

TURQ64
10-13-2011, 06:59 PM
You can get high quality fish without spending 2-300 per fish, you just have to be patient. Find someone that is breeding a good quality fish that you like the look of and buy young fish at a lower price. Then take the time and effort to grow them out with the best care you can provide. You Will end up with good fish this way it just takes time.
although I completely agree, you may or may not realise that Zach is talking wild Discus. There are few seller's of F1's...In the last year, there have been three on here. Limited stock is a tough wait............JMO

kent1963
10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
although I completely agree, you may or may not realise that Zach is talking wild Discus. There are few seller's of F1's...In the last year, there have been three on here. Limited stock is a tough wait............JMOYeah I know Gary thats were the patience comes in. The opportunity's are few and far between... but they are there.

YSS
10-13-2011, 07:23 PM

... and lots of money. Not all fish become high quality fish just because you provide great care. Good quaility fish? May be, but not high quality fish that go for $200 ~ $300. If you gave great care and grew out 10 fish, you most likely end up with less than 5 high quality fish. In the long run, I think it would be cheaper to buy fully grown hight quality fish than trying to grow high quality fish on your own. Plus, it would be a lot less effort and you don't have to deal with common issues that come with raising discus.

TURQ64
10-13-2011, 08:06 PM
......reminds me of one of my favorite blues lyrics..'you can ride to hell in a Cadillac, or you can get there in a Chevrolet,'.....whoops, I drifted..

Maria Ashton
10-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I hope this doesn't sound harsh - why are you so bothered about perfect fish? Surely if they are healthy and happy then watching them will make you happy? I would have thought that wilds are almost always less than perfect in some way or another. Anyway I hope you get what you want without it costing you the earth.

zchauvin
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Well from the start this thread was looked at wrong which is why I stopped worrying about it.... I was never in the mindset of buying 6 stunted discus and getting them to breed 6 AAA grade contest fish. I don't want to spend 2-300 dollars on one fish- in my mind that's ridiculous especially with my current bills for school and what not. I can get grade A fish for only 100-150 each so asked that if I bred say a grade A with a grade AAA then my chances of getting high grade fish would be 50-50. I don't and can't have any more tanks as I didn't even think I could keep my single 75g but I ended up being able to. If I can only have one tank with 6-8 fish then I want those 6-8 to be the best they can be.

Sean Buehrle
10-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Well from the start this thread was looked at wrong which is why I stopped worrying about it.... I was never in the mindset of buying 6 stunted discus and getting them to breed 6 AAA grade contest fish. I don't want to spend 2-300 dollars on one fish- in my mind that's ridiculous especially with my current bills for school and what not. I can get grade A fish for only 100-150 each so asked that if I bred say a grade A with a grade AAA then my chances of getting high grade fish would be 50-50. I don't and can't have any more tanks as I didn't even think I could keep my single 75g but I ended up being able to. If I can only have one tank with 6-8 fish then I want those 6-8 to be the best they can be.

I see your point and there's nothing wrong with your question.
I wouldn't let it bother ya, opinions are like, you know the rest. :)

zchauvin
10-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I figured I could get 5-6 A grade or the such maybe even B and then 1-2 AAA and hope for a mix.

Discus Origins
10-16-2011, 01:53 PM
I see where you are going with this Zach and its a good plan. The only thing if you are trying to keep strains pure then your source of fish is very important. The only suppliers that actually list the exact location of their fish is Hudson and Santarem Discus. All others buy their fish from US wholesalers who buy the entire leftover stock which are all mixed together. So you end up with Alenquers, Greens, or Heckels. There are at least 5 distinct fish variety from the Alenquer region, some browns are thrown in with the reds and called the same. Greens can be spotted or not and from Tefe, Coari, Japura, or Nanay. There are several varieties of Heckels.

So depends how specific and pure a strain you want to keep. The grade A fish may be called Alenquer, but no idea really where it is from and whether or not its actually the same strain as the AAA fish.

zchauvin
10-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Well with how picky I am and the amount of trouble I will be going through doing it this way ill be sure they are from same place :)