PDA

View Full Version : Discus disease pass to human

discusma
10-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Is this possible ? I know it's happening to people who consumes raw fish, But I am mainly talking about discus.
Any thoughts ?

LizStreithorst
10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
This is not my area of expertise but TB can be carried by tropical fish. Also, gramm negative bacteria of all sorts. Personally, I don't worry about it. Bacteria is everywhere. I have faith in my immune system.

ericatdallas
10-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Fish Tank Bacteria: Teen Battles Persistent Infection (http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-fish-tank-infection,0,918985.story)

Supposedly rare, but also why you should use gloves when working on a fish tank. I'm terrible as I've worked on my fish tank with open woulds (unrelated) before.

Why? Notice something?

There's probably other stuff .... the seafood stuff is from eating improperly cooked/handled (and/or raw).

Suggestion is just to practice good hygiene (wash hands after working with it), but it's still pretty rare.

The disease the girl caught is very rare in the aquarium as well...

ericatdallas
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I've been wondering this in the back of my mind for a while... here's another site:
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Diseases%20Transmitted%20to%20Humans.html

discusma
10-14-2011, 04:19 PM
NO... I am fine

I was treating gill fluke and wondering if these little parasite can get into our body. Not really worry about bacteria but parasite is a different story.
btw, just share my 2c. the TB can be carried and passed to Human by killfish. Just something I read back to few years ago.

Regards,

discusma
10-14-2011, 04:21 PM
sorry

I meant killifish

Darrell Ward
10-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Disease will flourish in filth of any kind. Maintain good sanitary practices in the fishroom, and there should be no worries.

MightyEvil
10-14-2011, 04:47 PM
If anything, just give yourself a salt bath and raise the temp of the water! LOL

SORRY, I COULDN"T HELP MYSELF :o

I am scared now, will be looking for some long gloves... Anybody know of any retailers?

MightyEvil
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Made a quick search and I found these! They look like heavy duty gloves!

Description includes:
Nitrile coating is chemical, snag, puncture, and abrasion-resisitant. Cotton-lined inside for comfort. Machine washable.

Looks like this is all we need!!! Very affordable too...

LizStreithorst
10-14-2011, 05:00 PM
You can get long disposable gloves from any large animal veterinarian. They use them when preg checking the cows which IMO they do in a very rude manner.

Chill folks. Like I said before, bacteria is everywhere. That's why we have an immune system. I'm always busting myself up and never worry about putting my hands and arms with all their wounds and scratches into my tanks.

I know of no parasites of fish that can be transmited to people. I think that fish and people are too different to support the same parasites.

If anything, just give yourself a salt bath and raise the temp of the water! LOL

SORRY, I COULDN"T HELP MYSELF :o

I am scared now, will be looking for some long gloves... Anybody know of any retailers?

TURQ64
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Jeesh, I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but both nematodes and cestodes (round and tapeworm) have fish to mammal,bird, or fish as final host, according to Edward Noga's cycle charts....

edit: great news is that it's the same dewormer's!

ericatdallas
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Yup, you can also get diseased from dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, and... your own children :)

LizStreithorst
10-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah, people can get tapes and rounds but they aren't the same tapes and rounds that fish get. With tapes there in an intermediary host. In the dog it is the flea. If your dog has tapes you can't catch it from them. In cattle it is humans! Imagine, cattle get tapes from humans! Creepy...makes me not want to think about where we humans relieve ourselves. With goats I've been told that it is a mite in the soil.

I don't know about rounds except that puppies get them from their mother in utero. We can't get rounds from our dogs or our fish. Otherwise we would all have them. These parasites are very species specific and they each have a specific intermediary host.

I know (alas from personal experiece) that humans can get ameobic dyesntary from drinking water from a contaminated well. But even with that, once we've had it and cured it once or twice immunity is built up to the extent that we can drink from the same contanimated well without becoming infested. Hurray for the immune system!

I'll have to ask my vet about this. He'll likely know. He enjoys hearing from me about inane things like this.

I bet that Brew knows all about this. He's a micro biology kinda guy. Betcha a dime to a dollar that he doesn't wear long gloves when he works his tanks.

MightyEvil
10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
I always have cuts from biting my fingernails and the little pealing skin above the fingernail and I always put my hands in the aquarium... I just rather be safe than sorry. I have three kids, wouldn't want to imagnie what would happen to them if something happened to me!

Darrell Ward
10-14-2011, 06:12 PM
There use to be a show on cable TV, "Monsters Inside Me" or something like that, that told about all kinds of weird parasites various people had picked up from all kinds of things and places. They are everywhere, and all around us. No way to avoid "bugs" even if you try.

TURQ64
10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
gross....glad I missed that one!

Sean Buehrle
10-18-2011, 07:47 AM
I always have cuts from biting my fingernails and the little pealing skin above the fingernail and I always put my hands in the aquarium... I just rather be safe than sorry. I have three kids, wouldn't want to imagnie what would happen to them if something happened to me!

Just think of all the organisms you are putting directly in your mouth when you bite your fingernails, lol.

I doubt there is anything dirtier on your body than your hands.

Not giving you a hard time but just something to think about .

x2h
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
any fish could pass disease to you, so it's always a good idea to wash your hands after you handle the tank.

Harriett
10-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Here is a little personal cautionary experience: You can get into trouble from sucking on a hose to start a vacuum in a line. When I first set up a trickle wet dry filter about 10 years ago, my usual method for restarting the overflow to wet/dry after a cleaning and water change was to use that method. I goofed up 2 x a swallowed a bit of water [and coughed myself silly].
Long story short, I then developed major gut and bowel symptoms. I was REALLY sick for months. After extensive testing, it turned that I had 2 severe gut infections--citrobacter and klebsiella. Big mystery how I could have gotten these particular bugs. I did not put things together until we went out to visit Cary and his family in Detroit for a weekend and he started asking questions....he called his fish pathologist in Atlanta and confirmed that it was entirely possible though unusual to get those infections from fish water. THat was the end of me sucking on a hose. I was on high dose Ciprofloxicin for 2 months to clear that all up. I also cleared the tank with Cipro treatment. A little caution is a good idea.
Harriett

ericatdallas
10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I suppose the same reason people recommend you didn't drink directly from natural water sources (even in remote areas) would be the same reasons not to drink from your aquarium :)

LizStreithorst
10-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I know that everyone who advises caution is correct. Personally, I do as I choose. I throw caution to the wind. I trust in my immune system. If my immune system breaks down and I die from something I get from the tanks, FINE. I'll die from something one day. Better that I die from doing something that I enjoy.

Cambik
10-18-2011, 06:14 PM
My feeling is that the Military has given me so many different shots for different things at this point I have to "play sick" to use my sick days......I even got to enjoy a long long Anthrax shot regimen...and I hated that one. Who knows what else I have been given....I know the military can and has been used in the past for testing. I am just sure they don't tell us.

MightyEvil
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Just think of all the organisms you are putting directly in your mouth when you bite your fingernails, lol.

I doubt there is anything dirtier on your body than your hands.

Not giving you a hard time but just something to think about .

LOL, I know but my nails are way to short to build much dirt under them and I am constantly washing my hands. I am very hygiene oriented and my nails are the only thing I am not disgusted about (I know, weird).

My feeling is that the Military has given me so many different shots for different things at this point I have to "play sick" to use my sick days......I even got to enjoy a long long Anthrax shot regimen...and I hated that one. Who knows what else I have been given....I know the military can and has been used in the past for testing. I am just sure they don't tell us.

And that is why I used the VA, still military but ran by civilians. I imagine it would be harder to try and introduce some sort of experiment through them...

(Just FYI, I am a Marine Veteran)

Discus-Hans
10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I would more worry about all the crap of medication some people trow on their Discus as what the Discus maybe could carry.

To start with PP what some advice to others like it's a tonic,

Hans

TURQ64
10-18-2011, 07:59 PM
If I get worms, I got med's..If I start scratchin', I'll PP myself!...Whassamatta,Hans..PP got ya runnin?..

joanstone
10-18-2011, 11:51 PM
I've been dealing with a problem with the joints on my right hand for over two years now. I haven't always been as diligent with gloves as I should be when mucking around in my tanks and it's looking like a bacterial infection in my joints or the aftermath of one that has persisted for over two years. I been tested for all kinds of things-Lyme disease, rheumatoid arthritis, had xrays, an MRI, etc. It's caused me a lot of frustration along with the physical pain and stiffness in my fingers that may never be resolved. I've had tanks for most of my life and never really gave it much thought-I sure do now.

lane mechtel
10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
OMG I'm done. Anyone want to buy 12 discus.LOL Its very rare, just was hands and arms good before and after working on tanks. safety for me and my fish. Although it would be great to see it on that syfy network show Urban Legends.

2075turner
10-19-2011, 12:10 AM
I agree. If you practice good hygiene...washing your hands/arms before & after being in a tank then you would have even less a chance of getting or carrying something.

I also think people should use caution when using meds...where gloves. I would be more concerned about the medications going into the skin. This is something that I never did before but now advise everyone to do. I think that these chemicals are way more harmful then a parasite.