PDA

View Full Version : Red Wigglers from Walmart

Thome25
10-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Hello,

I am curious if Red Wigglers that are at Walmart for fishing ok to feed to my Discus? I know there are worm farms that I can order from, but it is really easy from time to time to just run down to the store and pick up a few of them. I realize that when you feed any live food, there is always a chance to intro parasites, etc., but am I more at risk feeding these worms from Walmart.

Thank you for your feedback!

fast93accord
10-18-2011, 12:51 AM
I chop up red wigglers for mine... I'm pretty sure Terrestrial parasites aren't comparable with aquatic life...

Darrell Ward
10-18-2011, 01:06 AM
While I've never used them for discus, I've fed 100's of them to peacock bass back when I kept them with no problems.

Melissa
10-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Hmmm... Bait from walmart.... Now theres something I didn't think of.

TURQ64
10-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Go for it; a red wiggler is a red wiggler, the fish don't care who sells 'em..I go to a local bait shop for nightcrawlers when I run out for my 'rays.....Walmart's 60 miles from me...

ericatdallas
10-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Someone mentioned (I think Liz) that some bait shops use pesticides with their worms (or some additive that might be harmful). Not sure, I think it was posted on Pat's homestead thread.

TURQ64
10-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Something to consider, altho not in these northern parts....I know the wholesalers,(I sold bait when I was younger, living on a lake) and the retailer I buy from has been a certified organic farmer big scale for three deecades..Probably not a can of bug spray within 5 miles of his farm....

Second Hand Pat
10-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Someone mentioned (I think Liz) that some bait shops use pesticides with their worms (or some additive that might be harmful). Not sure, I think it was posted on Pat's homestead thread.

Hey Eric, Martha mentioned that and so did Mat

It's wise to raise them yourself and then you will know the worms haven't been exposed to pesticides.

I would be careful with feeding worms bought from "bait" dealers. Some do add pesticides to the substrate to prevent a mite infestation.

Mat

Here's the thread if there is any interest in starting your own culture.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?87556-Worm-Wars

Thome25
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Hey Thanks for all the feedback..

So it sounds like there is a chance that I could be pesticides in my tank... Man, this is a tough call.. I am going to look into growing my own, but please let me know if anyone else has any past experiences with buying these worms from Walmart!

Again, thank you for all the feedback!!!

Ryan

ericatdallas
10-18-2011, 05:00 PM
You could always ask Walmart... they -might- know. Sometimes you get lucky and there's a sharp employee that knows about what they're selling. Just asking sometimes will lead them to ask their supplier and you can get an answer.

But you could always use the worms as a starter culture. Not sure how long it will take.

Besides, just because one Walmart sells with pesticides doesn't mean all of them do (and vice versa). They might source local or regional suppliers.

Thome25
10-18-2011, 06:30 PM
You could always ask Walmart... they -might- know. Sometimes you get lucky and there's a sharp employee that knows about what they're selling. Just asking sometimes will lead them to ask their supplier and you can get an answer.

But you could always use the worms as a starter culture. Not sure how long it will take.

Besides, just because one Walmart sells with pesticides doesn't mean all of them do (and vice versa). They might source local or regional suppliers.

hey good point.. I am sure it would have the worm farm information on the cup the worms are sold in!

Thanks again, I am going to do a little research!

Keith Perkins
10-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Hey Thanks for all the feedback..

So it sounds like there is a chance that I could be pesticides in my tank... Man, this is a tough call.. I am going to look into growing my own, but please let me know if anyone else has any past experiences with buying these worms from Walmart!

Again, thank you for all the feedback!!!

Ryan

I think I've officially gotten old. I now hang out where when people are talking about growing there own they're talking about worms. :) I think I'm going to see if my local Walmart sells them though.

Thome25
10-18-2011, 11:21 PM
I think I've officially gotten old. I now hang out where when people are talking about growing there own they're talking about worms. :) I think I'm going to see if my local Walmart sells them though.

Now that is funny!!:D

wendy9722
10-19-2011, 07:17 AM
I never buy fish from our walmart because they ALWAYS have dead fish in the tanks and when I did buy a couple they died in less than 24hrs. Plus the employees dont know crap about fish. They just catch, bag, anything else????

Darrell Ward
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, Walmart had so many problems with fish, (mostly due to employee ignorance) that few stores still sell fish. I don't of any in the South that still do. Nothing wrong with worms kept in the fridge in sporting goods though. :)

fast93accord
10-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Just breed your own red wigglers if your scared of pesticide. I bought 2000 and a bin, I believe every 90 days the population doubles. My bin can hold 20000... There easy... And u get the best worm compost for free... The best way I've found to feed them is to pick then out with long tweezers, put them in a cup, rinse with water a few times, cut them up with scissors right in the cup, rinse again, then add tank water to cup and feed. My fish can't take them whole.

ShinShin
11-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Don't use them or any other bait store worms.