PDA

View Full Version : My 1st home made mix

TNT77
10-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I've always gone the straight beefheart route. But after reading so many recipes here I decided to get my hands dirty. :D So the recipe went as follows:
1lb ground turkey
approx 1/2lb fresh shrimp (maybe less I just dumped into the blender lol)
2 odorless garlic pills
1 jar Gerber garden mix (peas, carrots, spinach)
HBH veggie flake
Tetracolor granules
My discus are tearing this stuff up. They go as crazy for this as for the live blackworms I feed.
I do think I'm going to replace the Tetra granules for a beefheart flake or Prime Reef next time.
Any suggestions to improve?

Eddie
11-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Thats great to hear on the mix! Granules or flakes, both good so its just a personal preference.

Samsmobb
11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Does it come out as a paste? I may wana try getting my hands dirty :)

seanyuki
11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Perhaps add Pro More or Pro Growth to yr recipe.............I'am using Pro More for my APs and BDs.

Pro-Growth is a well formulated supplement for discus of all ages.

• Promotes appetite
• Promotes growth/bulk (not a growth hormone)
• Ensures maximum size potential
• Ensures total well-being of your culture
• An immune booster
• An antioxidant
• A liver detoxifier

Pro-Growth can either be incorporated into feed preparation or to soak feed into a pro-growth solution for 15-30 minutes before feeding. Not to be introduced directly into culture water.

Main Ingredients

Vitamin A - Vitamin D3 - Vitamin E - Vitamin K - Vitamin B1 - Vitamin B2 - Vitamin B3 - Vitamin B5 - Vitamin B6 - Vitamin B7 - Vitamin B9 - Vitamin B12 - Amino Acids - Minerals

For Meat Mix: 2.5gm or 0.5 tablespoon per 1 Kilo animal-meal like beef heart, pork heart shrimp or fish paste or any meat of your choice. Do not need to pre-dissolve before mixing in. Mix direct to meat and do not add water

Pellet or processed food or bloodworms: 2.5gm to 1 litre of water. Firstly, dissolve in water (for small quantity dissolve 250mg to 100ml water) add feed into the solution and soak for 5 to 15 minutes maximum depending on the feeds absorption rate (Worms 30 minutes). Pour through a sieve – the remaining solution can be re-used for a second time.

Pro-More is formulated to reinforce the brooders reproductive organ thus resulting in the production of more primed milt and eggs. It also helps in liver detoxification and in transporting ammonia out of the body. Parents fed constantly with Pro-More during nursing are able to withstand the damaging effect of pricking by fry, effectively and constantly repairing injuries inflicted by pricking and one off infections.

• Heightens the spawning urge and stimulates the production gametes in both sexes
• Help discus reach its production potential
• Primed gametes. Eggs will be more nourished resulting in better development
• Primed milt means penetration efficiency resulting in more successful fertilization
• If Pro-More is added to the brooders’ diet, the consistency of spawn and success rate will be maintained

Main Ingredients

Vitamin A - Vitamin D3 - Vitamin E - Vitamin K - Vitamin B1 - Vitamin B2 - Vitamin B3 - Vitamin B5 - Vitamin B6 - Vitamin B7 - Vitamin B9 - Vitamin B12 - Amino Acids - Minerals

For Meat Mix: 10gm or 1.5 tablespoon per 1 Kilo animal-meal like beef heart, pork heart shrimp or fish paste or any meat of your choice. Do not need to pre-dissolve before mixing in. Mix direct to meat and do not add water

Pellet or processed food or bloodworms: 10gm to 1 litre of water. Firstly, dissolve in water (for small quantity dissolve 1 gm to 100ml water) add feed into the solution and soak for 5 to 15 minutes maximum depending on the feeds absorption rate (Worms 30 minutes). Pour through a sieve – the remaining solution can be re-used for a second time.

David Rose(SD Forum Sponsor) has these products.

http://www.igopro-online.com/IGOPRO-ONLINE-COM-GROUP-SPECIAL-ORDERS-s/1.htm

TNT77
11-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Does it come out as a paste? I may wana try getting my hands dirty :)
Its pretty pasty yet holds together really well in water. It comes apart easy while the discus pick at it. Any leftover of the cube is easily scooped out of the water with a net.

TNT77
11-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Perhaps add Pro More or Pro Growth to yr recipe.............I'am using Pro More for my APs and BDs.

Pro-Growth is a well formulated supplement for discus of all ages.

• Promotes appetite
• Promotes growth/bulk (not a growth hormone)
• Ensures maximum size potential
• Ensures total well-being of your culture
• An immune booster
• An antioxidant
• A liver detoxifier

Pro-Growth can either be incorporated into feed preparation or to soak feed into a pro-growth solution for 15-30 minutes before feeding. Not to be introduced directly into culture water.

Main Ingredients

For Meat Mix: 2.5gm or 0.5 tablespoon per 1 Kilo animal-meal like beef heart, pork heart shrimp or fish paste or any meat of your choice. Do not need to pre-dissolve before mixing in. Mix direct to meat and do not add water

Pellet or processed food or bloodworms: 2.5gm to 1 litre of water. Firstly, dissolve in water (for small quantity dissolve 250mg to 100ml water) add feed into the solution and soak for 5 to 15 minutes maximum depending on the feeds absorption rate (Worms 30 minutes). Pour through a sieve – the remaining solution can be re-used for a second time.

Pro-More is formulated to reinforce the brooders reproductive organ thus resulting in the production of more primed milt and eggs. It also helps in liver detoxification and in transporting ammonia out of the body. Parents fed constantly with Pro-More during nursing are able to withstand the damaging effect of pricking by fry, effectively and constantly repairing injuries inflicted by pricking and one off infections.

• Heightens the spawning urge and stimulates the production gametes in both sexes
• Help discus reach its production potential
• Primed gametes. Eggs will be more nourished resulting in better development
• Primed milt means penetration efficiency resulting in more successful fertilization
• If Pro-More is added to the brooders’ diet, the consistency of spawn and success rate will be maintained

Main Ingredients

For Meat Mix: 10gm or 1.5 tablespoon per 1 Kilo animal-meal like beef heart, pork heart shrimp or fish paste or any meat of your choice. Do not need to pre-dissolve before mixing in. Mix direct to meat and do not add water

Pellet or processed food or bloodworms: 10gm to 1 litre of water. Firstly, dissolve in water (for small quantity dissolve 1 gm to 100ml water) add feed into the solution and soak for 5 to 15 minutes maximum depending on the feeds absorption rate (Worms 30 minutes). Pour through a sieve – the remaining solution can be re-used for a second time.

David Rose(SD Forum Sponsor) has these products.

http://www.igopro-online.com/IGOPRO-ONLINE-COM-GROUP-SPECIAL-ORDERS-s/1.htm
Good idea. I was looking into vitamins but I think this might be better.

ticman
11-16-2011, 07:32 PM
When you say it holds up well in the water--is it possible to have it adhere to the glass, like freeze dried will or do you just put it in the water and let it sink?

Can you give me an idea of "how much" you feed for how many fish.

thanks,

Mike

TNT77
11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I dont think it will adhere to the glass. I believe its to heavy for that. I just throw it in and let them go at it or I take a worm feeder; put the cubes in it and turn it upside down halfway down the tank.
I freeze the mix in 2 quart bags. When its frozen take it out and cut it into 1/2" or 1" squares and put it back in the freezer. I use 1 1" cube in my 90g with 5 sub adults, 1-2 1" cubes in my growout tank with 7 juvies, and 2 cubes in my african tank with god only knows how many, I lose count cause they are always having babies.
I tend to like the 1/2" squares cause I have a couple bullies that like to sit on the cubes. That way I can throw 2-3 cubes in the tank and everyone gets food. I rarely have to pull out any uneatin food.

ticman
11-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the fast reply and very thorough answer. I'm going to give it a try.

Mike

Jason K.
11-17-2011, 06:59 PM
stir it in the sauce!!! mixes are best...

ticman
11-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Made a batch and cut them up in 1/2" cubes and back in the freezer. Dropped one in the tank and in no time the discus where pecking away. Quite amazing to watch.

Food was easy to make and I'll have plenty for quite a while using TNT77 recipe

ericatdallas
11-21-2011, 09:56 PM
For supplements I throw in multi-vitamins. The liquid form might be more bio-available for the fish. I do use flakes, but I like putting in freeze-dried brineshrimp as well to soak up excess liquids.

It sounds like you have a good mix if it stays together pretty well and your fish like it though.

My mix sinks fast and doesn't appear to dissolve. I do need to try the ground turkey too though. I bought a package but forgot to buy my seafood and vegetables to go with it. Maybe I'll do that tonight and give my discus a turkey dinner for thanksgiving :)

sunny
11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Are you still feeding this to your Discus?

TNT77
11-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Are you still feeding this to your Discus?
Yes I am. I'm getting some amazing growth on my juvies with this. Though it could be the blackworms I alternate this with also. :)

sunny
11-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Are you mincing the turkey yourself or just buying the regular ground turkey off the shelf?

TNT77
11-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Just buying ground turkey. Price is good enough that grinding my own wouldn't be worth it.

sunny
11-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Might just give it a try as my fry will only eat BS