PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning filter intake forever?

DiscusBR
10-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone,

Greetings from Brazil. I have 7 wild Cuipeua discus in my 80g tanks. For more than two months now, one of them, I assume a female, has been spending most of her time cleaning and/or watching the intake of my canister filter. For a short period, another fish joined her in taking turns to watch the area, but he seems not to be interested anymore. I then bought a breeding cone, but she is not interested. Remains focused on the filter intake. I have seen no egges (I travel frequently, so cannot say it did not happen).

I am just curious, is it normal that fish will spend that long in such behavior? I feel pity for the female's lonileness :(

I plan to put the pair in a 25g breeding tank after I treat the display tank with General Cure (have had flukes problems), but I was wondering if this is a common behavior. I was also surprised that she continues even after the male lost interest.

DiscusBR
10-28-2011, 09:42 AM
No replies :(

She continues doing it and I am a bit worried that she might not be eating enough. During feeding time, she spends most of her time watching the filterīs intake and chasing the other discus out of the area. As a result, she does not eat as much as the others.

DiscusBR
10-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Exciting news tonight :bounce2: The male joined the female in taking turns near the intake's tube and chasing other fish out of te area. And there is some "dancing". All this in the middle of a General Cure treatment.

However, this has happened before and no eggs were laid (at least I never saw them).

But it seems nobody cares to comment on my post :cry:

LKSDiscus
10-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Don't feel bad Mauro, I'm not much of an expert with the breeding part, but seems like a long time to just be hanging in there. Just want to let you know that I came by and sometime feel your pain right now and what to let you know I care.

Linda

DiscusBR
10-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Don't feel bad Mauro, I'm not much of an expert with the breeding part, but seems like a long time to just be hanging in there. Just want to let you know that I came by and sometime feel your pain right now and what to let you know I care.

Linda

Thank you for stopping by and showing your solidarity, Linda.

But don't worry, I am not feeling bad :) I am just curious if it is normal that fish will spend that long in such behavior. The "lady" is so fixed in the filter's intake that she is not even eating well. It is just a beginner trying to understand discus behavior :confused:

Disgirl
10-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi Mauro, sorry to hear that the cone you got from me hasn't been to her liking, yet. But I did want to let you know that I have a possible pair who have been cleaning various things in the tank for 2 months, no eggs yet. Sometimes they use my cone, or the heater tube or a piece of wood or the filter intake. Guess some discus just want to take their time!
Barb

DiscusBR
10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Mauro, sorry to hear that the cone you got from me hasn't been to her liking, yet. But I did want to let you know that I have a possible pair who have been cleaning various things in the tank for 2 months, no eggs yet. Sometimes they use my cone, or the heater tube or a piece of wood or the filter intake. Guess some discus just want to take their time!
Barb

Hi Barb,

Interesting to know that it is not unusual for fish to spend months of their lives cleaning and watching the same spot. Is it possible that this behavior is more common when discus are mating for the first time? May be the "learning" takes some time.

I am preparing a 25g breeding tank for this pair and I have another beautiful cone of yours to put there. I will keep you posted of any news.

MKD
10-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Discus is very unique. They seem spawn alot but keep secret of their sex and hard to tell proven pair. That makes most of us exciting, curious when they clean/prepare spawning area. I have a female in my community tank for about 1 year but pass 5 months she lays eggs without partner yet. Its common in discus.