PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Setup Plan -- Please Advise

themovieguru
10-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Hello Everyone- I am in the final stages of planning a 120 gallon discus tank and I wanted to post the specs that I have and see what your opinions are. I have done about two-three months of research at this point, and though the research is not complete, I feel that I am at the point where I need more information and some feedback in order to finalize things.*

I apologize for the length of this post, but as you know, it is complicated business and I can't go any further without some guidance in a few areas.

The Tank =*120 Gallon, 48 X 24 X 24, glass

Filtration*=*2 Eheim 2217 Canisters
- Not all of the media is known at this time. Does anyone have any media combinations that would work well? I know some people use the standard media and others use custom items with great success. What do you think would work the best in my set up? Two products I want to use are:
-*AMMO-CHIPS (pure Zeolite ammonia remover)
-*Bio-Chem Stars
- I will use a spray bar on each filter, as well as a diffuser on each to oxygenate the water. This way I will not need to use an air pump and bubble wall, which was my initial plan before discovering the diffuser.

Heating*=*Hydor 300 Watt Inline Heater (x2)
- My target temperature is between 85 and 86.

Water Creation Method*=*AquaFX Dolphin 3 Stage RO unit, custom built from their website. The specs:
Sediment filter = 1 micron
Carbon Filter = NH2Cl Blaster carbon (two separate canisters)
Output = 200GPD
DI Addon = single DI
Ball valve,*Flush kit,*Float Valve, ASO Automatic Shut off Valve with Check Valve*
Water Connection = inline sink adapter
- Questions regarding this unit are:
-- Do I need the DI add-on?*
-- How often should I flush the membrane?
-- How often should I expect to change the filters and membrane? I know there are manufacturer specs on this but these often differ from practical experience, and I am curious to know what those differences are.

Driftwood -*I will have several pieces of driftwood, which I am hoping will help keep the pH stable.

Plants- The tank will be sparsely planted. The plants I am leaning toward are:
- Swords
- Java Fern
- Crytocoryne wendtii
-- Additionally though, I have decided on several Marimo moss balls which I plan to use to outcompete the food demands of any tank algae that might crop up.*
**The outcome of the plants depends on the performance of the lighting, explained below after Photoperiod.*

Photoperiod - This is open for debate, and it seems there are many different opinions on it.*
- I will have 11 hours of daylight, 1 hour of darkness, 11 hours of moonlight, 1 hour of darkness.*
- Another variation I considered:
-- 10 hours of daylight, 2 hours of darkness, 10 hours of moonlight, 2 hours of darkness
*the moonlight will not be a blue moonlight unit, rather a couple of small lower lumen LED strips placed farther away from the tank to create a sort of dim, shadowy glow. I think this is probably closer to real moonlight, because while blue moonlights look cool, moonlight is not actually blue.

Lighting-*48 inch T8 LED Blub (x2) - 6000K, 1600 lumens each.
- Lighting was one of my most difficult research points. I spent two straight weeks on lighting and I still have no definitive proof that these tubes will grow plants. I am a pessimist, so my gut feeling is they will not. Their seller (superbrightleds) offered no information whatsoever on PAR or PUR values and had no idea if they would work. I do not want to use anything other than LEDs, which makes this harder I know. However I wanted to save money in the long run and provide a better quality of light that would showcase their best colors.*
- The only option I had left was to get these lights and see if they work before putting any fish in the tank. If they do not work, I have two options:
1) Remove all live plants and replace with fake plants.*
2) Skip fake plants and use a driftwood formation instead.
3) Upgrade to very bright lights in one part of the tank where I will place all plants. The rest of the tank will have lower light, but bright enough so they will not pepper. This way I could still grow plants and get their nitrogen reducing benefits while not making the whole tank too bright as to make the discus uncomfortable.*
Questions regarding lighting and plants: Is the trouble of finding a balance between discus compatible lighting and plants really worth it? Do the positive effects of live plants in the tank outweigh the numerous headaches and problems I have encountered so far? Should I simply scrap the live plants altogether? If I scrap the live plants, will I need to add a nitrate filter?

Tank Mates =**none
- I went back and forth on this one MANY times, but the conclusion that I came to was that it would simply be too complicated and counterproductive to have any tank mates. The main purpose of the tank is to serve as a habitat for the discus. I thought it would be nice to have a few other fish in there, especially if they could help maintain the tank (bottom feeders, algae eaters), but there were just too many drawbacks and reasons not to do it. For example:
- I wanted a Bristlenose Pleco for algae eating, but I was extremely disappointed to learn that they produce so much feces that it makes them almost counterproductive.*
- I also thought of some cory cats to serve as scavengers, but again, the waste to work ratio didn't seem worth it based on what I read. There were only a few types of corys that can stand the high discus temps, and I don't want to lower the tank temperature at all.*Besides, I don't want any other fish bothering the discus, outcompeting them for food or doing anything that will hamper their development.*

Target Number of Discus- My goal is to have somewhere between 9 and 11 discus- not right away obviously. I plan to get them when they are between 2-4 inches. My source for all discus will be Hans.*

Substrate and Tank Floor Materials:
- I will have a bottom layer of EcoComplete.
- I will have a top layer of white pool filter sand.
-- Notes about the sand: I have selected sand over gravel because it is bright and I do not want the discus to pepper. Also I did not want any spaces where food particles could sink down and decay. The sand will not cover plant roots. There will be an exposed area of substrate underneath and around the plants for the roots.*
**If I decide to scrap the live plants, I will obviously eliminate the EcoComplete and simply go with pool filter sand.

Water Change and Maintenance Plan
- I will change 30 gallons of water twice per week.*
- I will use a Python to vacuum the feces and other debris from the top of the sand. I will hold the Python just far enough away so that it can suck waste up but not stir up the sand. I know this will take practice but I assume it can be done. Every so often I will gently rake through the sand to keep it fresher.
-*The clean water will be poured directly from my RO unit into a 40 gallon reservoir. The water will be heated to 85 degrees (using Eheim Jager TruTemp 150 Watt), then pumped back into the main tank after remineralizing (see below).
- My top off pump will feed off of the remaining 10 gallons in the reservoir until my next water change.
- I will remineralize the water with Discus Essential. However, I have not been able to figure out how much to use. Does anyone know the proper dose for the amount of water I will be changing? Even though I don't know how much I need, I have a bad feeling that the Discus Essential will be a very expensive recurring cost- I envision somewhere around $50 per month. does anyone know any ways I can remineralize safely (meaning NO tap water) and not turn water treatment into a money pit? Extensive research has not yielded any results on this.*

Feeding
- I will feed twice per day. I will take from a selection of foods and alternate each day to keep a good variety.*
-- Food Selection:
-- Beef Heart Mix - frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Blood Worms - Frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Hikari Bio-Pure Brine Shrimp - Frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Hikari Bio-Pure Brine Shrimp (with spirulina) - Frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Omega One Super Color Flake Food
-- Omega One First Flake Food
-- Omega One Kelp Super Veggie Flake Food
- A couple of hours after the evening feeding I will use long tweezers and pick up any uneaten particles of food. I will not have time to do this in the morning because I have to leave for work. Will only doing this once a day cause any problems?

Probes, Monitors, Water Testing and Timers
- I will definitely use a pH probe- American Marine Pinpoint pH Monitor - Any recommendations?
- I will also use a good old fashioned floating thermometer in the tank and fill reservoir.
- All lights will be on digital lamp timers.
- It was recommended that I employ a temperature probe to attach to each of the heaters, which serve as a backup system in case the heaters malfunction. I have not reached a final decision on this, as I don't know if the probe would be less reliable than the thermometer over time.
- I am going to set up a webcam server so I can remote in and check on the tank while I am at work.*
- I would like to use other probes but they are expensive and I get the impression they don't last very long and can often cause confusing and contradictory results when calibration isn't exactly perfect. Does anyone have any recommendations on other probes or water quality monitoring systems that are RELIABLE and produce consistent results?
- For additional water testing I will use:*
-- Salifert KH/Alkalinity Test Kit
-- Salifert Nitrate Test Kit

Cycling, Tank Setup and Fish Adding
- This is something I can definitely use some advice on, and it also depends on whether or not I go with plants or no plants. But here are some of the things I plan to do in order to get the tank going:
-- To cycle the tank I will use the ammonia method. Though it takes a bit longer in most cases, I think it is the safest and most scientifically sound method that I am comfortable with using. For a while I thought about getting some healthy colonies from a fish store tank but I believe the ammonia method will be the best in the long run.*
-- Once the tank has cycled I will add plants (if I have decided to do so).*
-- When it comes to adding discus, how many should I add in my first group? I was thinking somewhere between 3-5, but I do not know for sure.
-- After my first group is added, how long should I wait until I add my next group? And how many should be in the subsequent groups? I was thinking a month, but again this is something I do not know for certain.

Well, that's about all I have for now. I thoroughly appreciate your time and attention in helping me with my first discus project.*

Matt

discuspaul
10-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Phew - that is some comprehensive plan you have developed, Matt !
You certainly have done your homework, and from what I can tell, you haven't left any big stone unturned either. Doesn't sound like you need much help. Just a matter of making up your own mind about a couple of things, even if it's just a gut feel.
Anything I might say may well be deemed just an opinion based on experience, long or short, so I'll abstain.

My only thought to pass on to you is that if you really like a planted tank, looking to produce a real nice discus display environment, don't shy away from it. I don't like a BB or otherwise sterile look myself, and have had good sucess raising discus in a medium-planted low tech tank, using only PFS with root tab & liquid ferts. And it really isn't much more work, nor complicated, than not doing so.
If you would care to see pics, I'll be glad to post them, and if you run into any specific sticky question that plagues your mind, I'll be very happy to try and help if I can.
I might have referred you to my Beginner's Guide in the Discus Basics section, but you may already have viewed it, and in any event, it doesn't appear that you need to go throuh it.
Best of luck to you,
Paul

dbfzurowski
10-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Matt,
Looks like you have done some research lol
I am no expert, I've lost fish and probably will lose few more but this is what I think.

I see no need of using RO since you are getting 2in discus. Softer water is recommended for breeding.
If you are planing on doing plants then I think harder water would be better as it will contain more minerals. You will have to look into dosing ferts, no question about it in order to grow plants.
If I were you, I would skip plants for now. I assume bare bottom tank is out of the picture here so... I would just do sand bottom, no eco under it, I already see it mixing together and just looking like crap if you plan on keeping the sand clean. Paint the bottom of your tank whatever color of your sand is and do a thin layer of sand ~1in.
I stir my 1in layer twice a week and there is a lot of stuff in it, tank gets quite cloudy.

Tank mates;
Bristlenose plecos are great when it comes to removing slime(that discus produce) of your glass, wood and whatever you have in there. Produce a lot of waist? The more it cleans/eats the more it produces waist, simple logic. I see nothing wrong with it.
If you decide with sand bottom, corys are a must. They sift through the sand like no other! They will help you keep it clean. I noticed green corys do best in a discus tank, from my experience.
A nice group of tetras sometime in the future looks great with discus. I have done rummy nose tetras for years. Now I got 25 Blood fin tetras. They are much easier to keep and live longer then rummies

Feeding,
I think 2feedings isn't enough. We all work, well most, so autofeeder with flake or w/e dry food would be a smart investment.
You want your fish to grow.

I gots to run, hope this doesnt confuse you to much :)

Good luck!

Darrell Ward
10-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Hello Everyone- I am in the final stages of planning a 120 gallon discus tank and I wanted to post the specs that I have and see what your opinions are. I have done about two-three months of research at this point, and though the research is not complete, I feel that I am at the point where I need more information and some feedback in order to finalize things.*

I apologize for the length of this post, but as you know, it is complicated business and I can't go any further without some guidance in a few areas.

The Tank =*120 Gallon, 48 X 24 X 24, glass

*Good tank for Discus.*

Filtration*=*2 Eheim 2217 Canisters
- Not all of the media is known at this time. Does anyone have any media combinations that would work well? I know some people use the standard media and others use custom items with great success. What do you think would work the best in my set up? Two products I want to use are:
-*AMMO-CHIPS (pure Zeolite ammonia remover)
-*Bio-Chem Stars
- I will use a spray bar on each filter, as well as a diffuser on each to oxygenate the water. This way I will not need to use an air pump and bubble wall, which was my initial plan before discovering the diffuser.

*Good filters. I would skip the zeolite. It will take food away from bacteria in your bio media. I would pack the filters with Seachem Matrix, and a layer of Poret Foam.*

Heating*=*Hydor 300 Watt Inline Heater (x2)
- My target temperature is between 85 and 86.

*Should be way more than sufficient.*

Water Creation Method*=*AquaFX Dolphin 3 Stage RO unit, custom built from their website. The specs:
Sediment filter = 1 micron
Carbon Filter = NH2Cl Blaster carbon (two separate canisters)
Output = 200GPD
DI Addon = single DI
Ball valve,*Flush kit,*Float Valve, ASO Automatic Shut off Valve with Check Valve*
Water Connection = inline sink adapter
- Questions regarding this unit are:
-- Do I need the DI add-on?*
-- How often should I flush the membrane?
-- How often should I expect to change the filters and membrane? I know there are manufacturer specs on this but these often differ from practical experience, and I am curious to know what those differences are.

*Depending on your tap water specs, you may not even need all this stuff.*

Driftwood -*I will have several pieces of driftwood, which I am hoping will help keep the pH stable.

*Doubtful it will keep your PH stable, but it's good for the fish to swim around.*

Plants- The tank will be sparsely planted. The plants I am leaning toward are:
- Swords
- Java Fern
- Crytocoryne wendtii
-- Additionally though, I have decided on several Marimo moss balls which I plan to use to outcompete the food demands of any tank algae that might crop up.*
**The outcome of the plants depends on the performance of the lighting, explained below after Photoperiod.*

*I wouldn't use any plants that have to have their roots achored in substrate. I would only use a thin layer (1/2") of pool filter sand. Plants I would use would be plants like Anubias, Java Fern, Mosses, and Floating plants that do not need substrate.*

Photoperiod - This is open for debate, and it seems there are many different opinions on it.*
- I will have 11 hours of daylight, 1 hour of darkness, 11 hours of moonlight, 1 hour of darkness.*
- Another variation I considered:
-- 10 hours of daylight, 2 hours of darkness, 10 hours of moonlight, 2 hours of darkness
*the moonlight will not be a blue moonlight unit, rather a couple of small lower lumen LED strips placed farther away from the tank to create a sort of dim, shadowy glow. I think this is probably closer to real moonlight, because while blue moonlights look cool, moonlight is not actually blue.

*Whatever. 12 hours of good light should be fine for low light plants.*

Lighting-*48 inch T8 LED Blub (x2) - 6000K, 1600 lumens each.
- Lighting was one of my most difficult research points. I spent two straight weeks on lighting and I still have no definitive proof that these tubes will grow plants. I am a pessimist, so my gut feeling is they will not. Their seller (superbrightleds) offered no information whatsoever on PAR or PUR values and had no idea if they would work. I do not want to use anything other than LEDs, which makes this harder I know. However I wanted to save money in the long run and provide a better quality of light that would showcase their best colors.*
- The only option I had left was to get these lights and see if they work before putting any fish in the tank. If they do not work, I have two options:
1) Remove all live plants and replace with fake plants.*
2) Skip fake plants and use a driftwood formation instead.
3) Upgrade to very bright lights in one part of the tank where I will place all plants. The rest of the tank will have lower light, but bright enough so they will not pepper. This way I could still grow plants and get their nitrogen reducing benefits while not making the whole tank too bright as to make the discus uncomfortable.*
Questions regarding lighting and plants: Is the trouble of finding a balance between discus compatible lighting and plants really worth it? Do the positive effects of live plants in the tank outweigh the numerous headaches and problems I have encountered so far? Should I simply scrap the live plants altogether? If I scrap the live plants, will I need to add a nitrate filter?

*Lighting is easy. I would use 2- 70 watt, 6500K Metal halide, hung about 8" above the tank. http://www.hellolights.com/70w-retrofitkithqi.aspx
Tank Mates =**none, and this,http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/the-662/70W-70-watt-6500K/Detail*

- I went back and forth on this one MANY times, but the conclusion that I came to was that it would simply be too complicated and counterproductive to have any tank mates. The main purpose of the tank is to serve as a habitat for the discus. I thought it would be nice to have a few other fish in there, especially if they could help maintain the tank (bottom feeders, algae eaters), but there were just too many drawbacks and reasons not to do it. For example:
- I wanted a Bristlenose Pleco for algae eating, but I was extremely disappointed to learn that they produce so much feces that it makes them almost counterproductive.*
- I also thought of some cory cats to serve as scavengers, but again, the waste to work ratio didn't seem worth it based on what I read. There were only a few types of corys that can stand the high discus temps, and I don't want to lower the tank temperature at all.*Besides, I don't want any other fish bothering the discus, outcompeting them for food or doing anything that will hamper their development.*

Target Number of Discus- My goal is to have somewhere between 9 and 11 discus- not right away obviously. I plan to get them when they are between 2-4 inches. My source for all discus will be Hans.*

*Skip the tankmates, and buy the largest fish you can afford.*

Substrate and Tank Floor Materials:

- I will have a bottom layer of EcoComplete.
- I will have a top layer of white pool filter sand.
-- Notes about the sand: I have selected sand over gravel because it is bright and I do not want the discus to pepper. Also I did not want any spaces where food particles could sink down and decay. The sand will not cover plant roots. There will be an exposed area of substrate underneath and around the plants for the roots.*
**If I decide to scrap the live plants, I will obviously eliminate the EcoComplete and simply go with pool filter sand.

*F the Eco, go with a thin layer of PFS.*

Water Change and Maintenance Plan
- I will change 30 gallons of water twice per week.*
- I will use a Python to vacuum the feces and other debris from the top of the sand. I will hold the Python just far enough away so that it can suck waste up but not stir up the sand. I know this will take practice but I assume it can be done. Every so often I will gently rake through the sand to keep it fresher.
-*The clean water will be poured directly from my RO unit into a 40 gallon reservoir. The water will be heated to 85 degrees (using Eheim Jager TruTemp 150 Watt), then pumped back into the main tank after remineralizing (see below).
- My top off pump will feed off of the remaining 10 gallons in the reservoir until my next water change.
- I will remineralize the water with Discus Essential. However, I have not been able to figure out how much to use. Does anyone know the proper dose for the amount of water I will be changing? Even though I don't know how much I need, I have a bad feeling that the Discus Essential will be a very expensive recurring cost- I envision somewhere around $50 per month. does anyone know any ways I can remineralize safely (meaning NO tap water) and not turn water treatment into a money pit? Extensive research has not yielded any results on this.*

*Test your tap water. Chances are you can skip all the RO stuff. Up your water changes to 2- 50% water changes weekly.*

Feeding

- I will feed twice per day. I will take from a selection of foods and alternate each day to keep a good variety.*
-- Food Selection:
-- Beef Heart Mix - frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Blood Worms - Frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Hikari Bio-Pure Brine Shrimp - Frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Hikari Bio-Pure Brine Shrimp (with spirulina) - Frozen (from Discus Madness)
-- Omega One Super Color Flake Food
-- Omega One First Flake Food
-- Omega One Kelp Super Veggie Flake Food
- A couple of hours after the evening feeding I will use long tweezers and pick up any uneaten particles of food. I will not have time to do this in the morning because I have to leave for work. Will only doing this once a day cause any problems?

*Brine shrimp is useless unless you have fry. Blackworms are 100 times better than blood worms.*

Probes, Monitors, Water Testing and Timers
- I will definitely use a pH probe- American Marine Pinpoint pH Monitor - Any recommendations?
- I will also use a good old fashioned floating thermometer in the tank and fill reservoir.
- All lights will be on digital lamp timers.
- It was recommended that I employ a temperature probe to attach to each of the heaters, which serve as a backup system in case the heaters malfunction. I have not reached a final decision on this, as I don't know if the probe would be less reliable than the thermometer over time.
- I am going to set up a webcam server so I can remote in and check on the tank while I am at work.*
- I would like to use other probes but they are expensive and I get the impression they don't last very long and can often cause confusing and contradictory results when calibration isn't exactly perfect. Does anyone have any recommendations on other probes or water quality monitoring systems that are RELIABLE and produce consistent results?
- For additional water testing I will use:*
-- Salifert KH/Alkalinity Test Kit
-- Salifert Nitrate Test Kit

*OK, no problem here.*

Cycling, Tank Setup and Fish Adding
- This is something I can definitely use some advice on, and it also depends on whether or not I go with plants or no plants. But here are some of the things I plan to do in order to get the tank going:
-- To cycle the tank I will use the ammonia method. Though it takes a bit longer in most cases, I think it is the safest and most scientifically sound method that I am comfortable with using. For a while I thought about getting some healthy colonies from a fish store tank but I believe the ammonia method will be the best in the long run.*
-- Once the tank has cycled I will add plants (if I have decided to do so).*
-- When it comes to adding discus, how many should I add in my first group? I was thinking somewhere between 3-5, but I do not know for sure.
-- After my first group is added, how long should I wait until I add my next group? And how many should be in the subsequent groups? I was thinking a month, but again this is something I do not know for certain.

*Completely cycle the tank first, then add all your discus at once. Getting them all from the same supplier should eliminate the need to separate and QT them. *

Well, that's about all I have for now. I thoroughly appreciate your time and attention in helping me with my first discus project.*

Matt

Good luck!

Wes
10-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Matt, Any chance you will run for President of the US. We need a good planner to get us back on track. You got my vote.:idea2:
You would change the national fish to a discus right.

TNT77
10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Matt, Any chance you will run for President of the US. We need a good planner to get us back on track. You got my vote.:idea2:
You would change the national fish to a discus right.
+1

Wes
10-22-2011, 09:45 PM
national fish69937

TNT77
10-22-2011, 10:05 PM
national fish69937
Now thats a patriotic fish. LOL

themovieguru
10-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Clever picture! Sure, I'll run for President right after I can prove to myself and the world that I can successfully keep discus fish. Speaking of The White House, the desk in the Oval Office looks a bit big and usually somewhat empty - I bet we could stick a sweet 55G on there...

Anyway, thanks for the early opinions -- keep them coming! At this point it doesn't seem like plants are going to work with LEDs. I think I am going to just put down an inch of sand and some driftwood. That still leave the issue of what to do about nitrates. I was looking at that Aquaripure nitrate filter but that makes me nervous! The consensus I get is that they work great for a while, then it's constant maintenance and fiddling, PLUS the constant threat of something going wrong with adding the alcohol.

My water change procedure might need some addressing. I did lots of reading on this but obviously there are 1000 different opinions and they are all based on highly individualized situations. One guy I talked to with a planted 125G discus tank said he does 25% every other week and the fish are thriving. It makes me hate him a little. I am worried about it though, and I fear that I will eventually have to change to 30G three times per week or more and end up spending $100 per month on Discus Essential. Any ideas how I can safely avoid that?

Thanks for reading, and keep the comments coming!

Darrell Ward
10-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes. Forget the RO,and you won't need Discus Essential. ( I doubt you need RO anyway, unless your faucet produces liquid rock) I'll bet you a hundred bucks, the guy who only changes 25% every other week, has very poor looking discus, unless he bought them as adults. Even then, they would look much healthier if changed water like he should. Do 2-50% water changes per week, and there will be no problems. Guaranteed.

discuspaul
10-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Yes. Forget the RO,and you won't need Discus Essential. ( I doubt you need RO anyway, unless your faucet produces liquid rock) I'll bet you a hundred bucks, the guy who only changes 25% every other week, has very poor looking discus, unless he bought them as adults. Even then, they would look much healthier if changed water like he should. Do 2-50% water changes per week, and there will be no problems. Guaranteed.

I'll second that motion.

Maria Ashton
10-23-2011, 05:58 AM
re tank mates cardinal neons are nice and do not bother discus, these and the likes of hatchet fish are actually useful as they can act as a positive signal to the discus - something to do with being a sign that the water is okay although not sure how people know this. I have the same size tank as you with 13 discus of varying sizes, 8 corydora, 3 small plecos, 2 baby angels, 5 rams and 10 cardinals. To be honest its a bit much and the angels and one or two discus will be re-homed shortly.

Note that most Corydora can stand higher temperatures and are a good clean up crew.

Dont be put off a few plants, they help purify the water and provide cover which makes discus feel more secure.

The other thing I would say is that I think you will need to feed more than twice a day, even for adult discus feeding three times a day is recommended. For younger fish it needs to be more frequent.

I agree with the others on here re more frequent water changes

Maria Ashton
10-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Forgot to mention one point I was told re Zeolite, it is great, I have used it when I knocked my bio filter out but note that if you add salt to the water - say to help with infection etc then the zeolite will likely release the ammonia and nitrates back into the water.

themovieguru
10-23-2011, 07:20 AM
I must say I am absolutely shocked that so many people would tell me to eliminate my RO unit from the setup plan! I would think that everyne would want me to, if anything, get a more powerful unit with more filters to get ultra pure water. I'm not sure I understand why though - can someone explain? Shouldn't I start with the best possible water I can? Shouldn't I eliminate as many water-related variables as I can to avoid potential problems later? What about the unpredictability of tap water - since it can change without warning at any time. I mean, I could do a water change and some new substance in the water could kill the fish before I even knew what happened. The reason I went with RO in the first place was to eliminate those variables as a possibility. Can someone please explain these water issues?

As for the more larger volume water changes, I might not be able to do this because the added weight of that much extra water could pose a problem. I live on the second floor in a condo and the safe limit for my floor is 200 pounds per square foot. I spoke with a county engineer on this. I'm going to be at 187-190 with the setup the way it is. I have a certain amount of dread with putting that much extra weight on my floor, even for a relatively short period of time. Over time I think it could cause a serious problem. I could do 40 gallons three times per week - would that be better?

Wes
10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
http://portal.delaware.gov/waterquality/ccr/water-systems.shtml Didn't know what county. Aging the water over night will stabalize the ph and remove chlorine. A 40 gallon rubbermaid tuff garbage can, with a heater and air stone. A pump and a hose to pump it in the tank. Add prime to the water in tank a couple minutes before your ready to pump it in. Let the can air dry between changes or you get slimy stuff start to grow. This the way I started no problems. I now siphone out 100 gallons add prime for 120 gal put the hose in the tank and fill making sure temp is the same. Straight out of the faucet no problems.

cjr8420
10-23-2011, 05:13 PM
I must say I am absolutely shocked that so many people would tell me to eliminate my RO unit from the setup plan! I would think that everyne would want me to, if anything, get a more powerful unit with more filters to get ultra pure water. I'm not sure I understand why though - can someone explain? Shouldn't I start with the best possible water I can? Shouldn't I eliminate as many water-related variables as I can to avoid potential problems later? What about the unpredictability of tap water - since it can change without warning at any time. I mean, I could do a water change and some new substance in the water could kill the fish before I even knew what happened. The reason I went with RO in the first place was to eliminate those variables as a possibility. Can someone please explain these water issues?

As for the more larger volume water changes, I might not be able to do this because the added weight of that much extra water could pose a problem. I live on the second floor in a condo and the safe limit for my floor is 200 pounds per square foot. I spoke with a county engineer on this. I'm going to be at 187-190 with the setup the way it is. I have a certain amount of dread with putting that much extra weight on my floor, even for a relatively short period of time. Over time I think it could cause a serious problem. I could do 40 gallons three times per week - would that be better?
discus need clean water unless u get wilds or want to lower ur tds for breeding ro isnt really cost effective for growing out discus.lots of food lots of WCs will get fish to grow the best.as far as weight just make sure all weight isnt on the same joists. they run in every room ll or = at the ends of the joist they can take almost any weight its only an issue if u put on the wall where it will be in the middle of the joist.hth gl

themovieguru
10-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I am now inclined to rethink my water procedure to:

- Two (or three) 40 gallon water changes per week. Any thoughts on two or three water changes?
- Remineralize with 50% RO, 50% tap (with Prime dosed before pumping from reservoir to aquarium)
- Top off with pure RO

How does that sound?

Wes
10-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Matt, I have 16 discus and have 6 tanks. The largest fish about 6 inches and have never seen a drop of RO or any buffer. Chicago water PH about 7.8. I don't see the need for the RO. To make 1 gallon of RO you will have 3 to 4 gallons of waste water. I don't count any water change under 50% on my tanks. IMO For a 120 gallon tank, 60 gallons 3 times a week depending on fish load and feeding.:)

themovieguru
10-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Due to the weight limits of my floor larger water changes are out. However I have designed a water changing system that will allow me to change 40 gallons at a time very easily. All I have to do is flip a couple of switches. I plan on one 40 gallon change per day. The ease of this system will allow me to do even more water changes if necessary. Since I will not have plants I don't know how much higher my nitrates will be than if I had them, but if for some reason I needed to do two water changes per day I could easily accomplish this.

Does that sound like a plan that could work well and provide consistently good water quality?

Also, should I be vacuuming my tank more than twice per week?