PDA

View Full Version : Serious Popeye desease ... need urgent help :(

psybronik
10-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Dear fellow members,

i have a discus with me for almost 2 years now ....n since past few days he's suffering from popeye..n its growing day by day...now he got sum infection in the eye as well....
i use ocean free internal bacterial med bt its having no effect,tetracyclin,salt dip...evrythng tried bt no effect...m afraid of he getting TB ???
any suggestion guys
my water quality is excellent m using an eheim 2215 in an 100L tank...with 50% water change evryday..

Please Help me Guys...please please please :( :(

Altum Nut
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Should fill out first http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

As for my thought...it may already have TB or treatment has not worked yet because tissue behind the eye could be to far stretched to retract. The other thought i had was possibly o2 gas from the large w/c. Do you see any bubbles on the eye itself? Do you age your water? As the cold weather sets in...more o2 gas is present.
Others may chime in with different suggestions.

...Ralph

...Ralph

psybronik
10-23-2011, 12:52 PM
As for my thought...it may already have TB or treatment has not worked yet because tissue behind the eye could be to far stretched to retract. The other thought i had was possibly o2 gas from the large w/c. Do you see any bubbles on the eye itself? Do you age your water? As the cold weather sets in...more o2 gas is present.
Others may chime in with different suggestions.

thanks for the reply mate... n m sorry for nt filling dat info up..as m vry depresed coz of his desease....he has been vd me for almost 2 years...what shud i do next any suggestion ?
i herd dat once u know dat its TB..u hv to sacrifice the fish as it may catch human being as well :(
:(

psybronik
10-23-2011, 12:58 PM
and yaa... i age the water or i add chlorine after changing the water ......... ders no bubble just a huge cloudy eye and sum black substance cumming out of it :(

lipadj46
10-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Well that is tough because it looks like you tried antibiotics but not sure how long you treated (fill out the questionnaire). In your shoes I would QT and treat with Kanamyacin and Nitrofurazone for 10 days with 100% water changes each day. A pp bath would not hurt either.

lane mechtel
10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Just to clarify just one eye or both eyes have trouble?

psybronik
10-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Well that is tough because it looks like you tried antibiotics but not sure how long you treated (fill out the questionnaire). In your shoes I would QT and treat with Kanamyacin and Nitrofurazone for 10 days with 100% water changes each day. A pp bath would not hurt either.

just as you suggested i bought a new tank for him but couldnt find Kanamyacin or nitrofurazone at my local druggist :(

is he suffering from TB ?? will it get transmited to me as well ??

Just to clarify just one eye or both eyes have trouble?

only in 1 eye :(

psybronik
10-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Problem :- Poping of eye with sum black substance cumming out of it

Symptoms :- not eating, clamped fins , cloudy eyes, staying in one corner, buldge eye.

medication :- Salt bath , Tetracyclin . for almost 4 days .

tank parameter :- 100L tank with 4 discus all of them near around 3".

Parameters and water source :-

- temp _____ 30deg celcius

- ph _____ 7.2

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____0

- municipal water ____

nothing is added into the tank except a new canister filter eheim 2215

boxters
10-24-2011, 06:08 AM
This is not common in discus at all. If this problem is tb related your fish will show obvious signs of abdominal dropsy. The other thing that can cause the eye to protrude is a granuloma. I would do the following. I would bath the fish in potassium permanganate to rid it of flukes. Flukes also attack eye tissue which can cause your problem. In a quarantine tank I would treat with tetracycline in food and water to treat for dropsy. If the dropsy is cleared, the eye will recover in some instances. If it is tb there is no cure. If you have open wounds on your arms or hands be very carefull. Good luck

psybronik
10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
This is not common in discus at all. If this problem is tb related your fish will show obvious signs of abdominal dropsy. The other thing that can cause the eye to protrude is a granuloma. I would do the following. I would bath the fish in potassium permanganate to rid it of flukes. Flukes also attack eye tissue which can cause your problem. In a quarantine tank I would treat with tetracycline in food and water to treat for dropsy. If the dropsy is cleared, the eye will recover in some instances. If it is tb there is no cure. If you have open wounds on your arms or hands be very carefull. Good luck

thanks boxters..... how shud i give a pp bath ... i mean wat amount n duration.... hw many times shud i change the water ??
and the other thing is now all the discus r gathering around the corner... few of dem r not eating as well :( dont kno where i went wrong ??...please reply asap
a greatfull thanks to all of the above who replied

psybronik
10-27-2011, 07:59 AM
guys ders sum white substance cuming out of his eyes ??? is dat TB ????? please help :(